F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Tune-friendly Dealers in GTA?
Studio RSR

08-11-2021, 11:28 AM   #1
Shady67
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 440i Gran Coupe

Tune-friendly Dealers in GTA?

Hi guys,

I have a 2019 440i GC that is still under warranty, and I tuned it (BM3) to get rid of the obnoxious cold start. I would be lying if I said I don't enjoy the extra power, but I can honestly say I've pushed the car maybe twice since I had it tuned. Now the issue I'm having is that my AC Compressor recently went out, and BMW Durham is saying that its cracked as a result of "over-revving". They're pointing the finger at BMW Canada and saying BMW Canada is rejecting the warranty coverage, and to talk to them. I spoke to a supervisor at BMW Canada and he rejected everything that BMW Durham said, and stated that dealerships are independent retailers and BMW Canada have no say in whether they can or cannot replace a part under warranty. I've asked for a diagnosis and/or a technical analysis and the dealer is saying that BMW Canada is not giving them that information, while BMW Canada is saying that they're not involved in the diagnosis at all. It's been a back-and-forth issue, and BMW Durham is quoting me $6600 for the compressor replacement (which I'm obviously not going to pay).

I get it, I've tuned the car and this was the risk I took when doing it (didn't realize BMW would flag it as soon as its plugged in). I just fail to understand how the AC Compressor is related to the drivetrain. BMW Durham is telling me to not bother going to another dealer to get it inspected, as they'll all tell me the same thing, that BMW Canada rejected it as a result of the tune and their system already has this warranty rejection showing. They've thrown so many people into the mix, from the Warranty Administrator not being able to get BMW Canada to approve it, to the Shop Foreman escalating it to BMW Canada to get their approval, etc. It just seems like they're playing games at this point to get away with not covering the repair.

I'm sure I can't be the only tuned car with factory warranty remaining. Has anyone had any luck with warranty coverage while tuned?

UPDATE: It got much worse. They terminated my warranty and my lease, and gave me the option of buying out the car or repossessing it, selling it at the auction and charging me the difference. I opted to buy it out. While shopping around for car loans and going through the purchasing process, they sent a bailiff to my house to collect the car. I insisted that I'll be purchasing it and am almost done the financing for the vehicle, but it looks like they've rescinded that option. I've had the car parked in the garage all weekend with concerns that they'll tow it from my driveway overnight. I get it, I tuned a leased vehicle, and as you mentioned, I've gotta pay to play, but to treat me like a criminal, ruin the relationship we had with the dealership, put a stop payment (which effectively shows as a missed payment on my credit) and send a bailiff to my house at 9AM is how you'll tarnish your reputation and this will be the last BMW I purchase. The loan paperwork is effectively complete and we'll be wrapping it up on Monday, so hopefully they'll still allow me to move forward with purchasing the vehicle.

I know I'm not the first to tune a leased vehicle. I've heard from several reputable mechanics in Toronto as well as friends who have leased that they've tuned their vehicle and returned it without any issues. I'm not sure if they're making an example of this case, or if this is their new approach to counter the issue, but I haven't heard much on these forums regarding all this, so I thought I'd give you guys a heads up.

Last edited by Shady67; 09-21-2021 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 12:59 PM   #2
2017F30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 330iX AT

Tune friendly dealer? No such thing. Once the vehicle is plugged in and data is analyzed the parameters are flagged and stored should something not fall within tolerance. After that it’s nearly impossible to have warranty honoured. The manufacturers have evolved just as the tuners have. If you’re tuned just consider the warranty void. In the meantime check with Matt at BMWizard and he should be able to take care of you for considerably less.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2021, 02:25 PM   #3
i128
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340iX (6MT) - X3///M40i

I wonder if there is a clause YET against tuning in contracts for leased vehicles?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 11:19 AM   #4
Shady67
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017F30 View Post
Tune friendly dealer? No such thing. Once the vehicle is plugged in and data is analyzed the parameters are flagged and stored should something not fall within tolerance. After that it’s nearly impossible to have warranty honoured. The manufacturers have evolved just as the tuners have. If you’re tuned just consider the warranty void. In the meantime check with Matt at BMWizard and he should be able to take care of you for considerably less.
Not sure why I thought the tune was reversible. I read in a few places that BMW still honours the warranty provided it's not a direct result of the engine tuning, but even with this issue, they seem to have found a way to tie it in. At this point, I'm just hoping I can return the car once the lease is up, and they don't try and force me to buy it out.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 12:55 AM   #5
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14' 335i, 17' X6 35i

Well they said it cracked due to "over revving".

Sucks, but you gotta pay to play.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 08:46 AM   #6
Shady67
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rox335i View Post

It got much worse. They terminated my warranty and my lease, and gave me the option of buying out the car or repossessing it, selling it at the auction and charging me the difference. I opted to buy it out. While shopping around for car loans and going through the purchasing process, they sent a bailiff to my house to collect the car. I insisted that I'll be purchasing it and am almost done the financing for the vehicle, but it looks like they've rescinded that option. I've had the car parked in the garage all weekend with concerns that they'll tow it from my driveway overnight. I get it, I tuned a leased vehicle, and as you mentioned, I've gotta pay to play, but to treat me like a criminal, ruin the relationship we had with the dealership, put a stop payment (which effectively shows as a missed payment on my credit) and send a bailiff to my house at 9AM is how you'll tarnish your reputation and this will be the last BMW I purchase. The loan paperwork is effectively complete and we'll be wrapping it up on Monday, so hopefully they'll still allow me to move forward with purchasing the vehicle.

I know I'm not the first to tune a leased vehicle. I've heard from several reputable mechanics in Toronto as well as friends who have leased that they've tuned their vehicle and returned it without any issues. I'm not sure if they're making an example of this case, or if this is their new approach to counter the issue, but I haven't heard much on these forums regarding all this, so I thought I'd give you guys a heads up.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 08:51 PM   #7
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14' 335i, 17' X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady67 View Post
Quote:

It got much worse. They terminated my warranty and my lease, and gave me the option of buying out the car or repossessing it, selling it at the auction and charging me the difference. I opted to buy it out. While shopping around for car loans and going through the purchasing process, they sent a bailiff to my house to collect the car. I insisted that I'll be purchasing it and am almost done the financing for the vehicle, but it looks like they've rescinded that option. I've had the car parked in the garage all weekend with concerns that they'll tow it from my driveway overnight. I get it, I tuned a leased vehicle, and as you mentioned, I've gotta pay to play, but to treat me like a criminal, ruin the relationship we had with the dealership, put a stop payment (which effectively shows as a missed payment on my credit) and send a bailiff to my house at 9AM is how you'll tarnish your reputation and this will be the last BMW I purchase. The loan paperwork is effectively complete and we'll be wrapping it up on Monday, so hopefully they'll still allow me to move forward with purchasing the vehicle.

Wow. I can't believe they terminated your lease. I thought the worst thing they'll do is won't cover you if something broke on your car and that's it. I only had a piggyback on my car during my lease. Only got a flash tune when I bought it out.

Could I ask what dealer in the GTA was this?
Appreciate 1
Shady6747.00
      09-21-2021, 08:37 AM   #8
Shady67
Private
Rep

Quote:
Wow. I can't believe they terminated your lease. I thought the worst thing they'll do is won't cover you if something broke on your car and that's it. I only had a piggyback on my car during my lease. Only got a flash tune when I bought it out.

It's the first I've heard of it happening in Canada. This was BMW Durham. I initially thought it was BMW Canada that made the decision, but I'm almost certain at this point that the dealership made the call, and this will be the last purchase we make from them (6 vehicles over the years).
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 06:21 AM   #9
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
The events don't make sense.

First, BMW Canada absolutely gets involved when it comes to warranty repairs, especially for more expensive repairs. The dealership does not determine what and what does not get repaired under warranty - BMW Canada does because they reimburse the dealership for the work done. If warranty work is being denied, BMW Canada saw something from the claim process to deny warranty. The other scenario is the dealership tried to make this into a customer pay job but that's highly risky and dumb because they risk getting nothing if the customer declines.

As for the repossession, the dealership has no ability to do this - they don't own the car, BMW Canada does. This is the first I've read or seen this happen. But if BMW Canada wanted your car back, they wouldn't send someone to just take your car. Formal correspondence would be sent to you or the person on the lease outlining what they plan to do.

Something doesn't seem right with this whole situation and how it's being handle through your original post.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 09:59 AM   #10
talontdone
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340Xi

Quote:

PM me -- I've got a very good friend at BMW Markham who might be able to help out or at least provide advice as an "insider". I had my X6 modified and had some warranty work done without a problem.