F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Build your own house
GetBMWParts

06-19-2021, 01:36 AM   #23
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Plot search is well worthwhile Steve.

About 12 years ago I paid a £25 lifetime access and get emails every other week.

It's not on this but how about Hawarden £300k plot with a large 6 double bedroom planning approved 2018 too so it's pretty sprinkler (Wales).
      06-19-2021, 02:33 AM   #24
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
It depends on what you are building surely? Standard builds are 'cheap' but once you start put in 'Design' elements it all adds up very quickly. Funky designs need supporting, steels need good foundations, glass isn't cheap, open spaces need heat/ventilated setups, even fire suppression - we possibly having to fit a sprinkler system pending fire inspection once the kitchen is in.

If you are building from scratch the last thing I would want is a bog standard house, if you are just going to build something that looks like everything else in the area just buy a pre build one. Saves you loads of money and time!!

Clearly land in a good area costs, but a decent 4 bed house with funky design elements can easily be a £400k build to first fix. Not an insubstantial amount, and if you go nuts on finishing add another £200k+ to the bill, probably alot more based on perfect choice!!
I think he means on a like for like basis... Generally the cost to buy the land and build is considerably less than the MV at the end, assuming you build something universally appealing. A 400k build should get you something pretty spectacular, if you watch grand designs I can count on 1 hand how many builds have been >400k.
Appreciate 1
C320340.50
      06-19-2021, 03:41 AM   #25
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

I always worked on the thirds principle as a rough guide....... third of cost for Land, third for Build and a third for Profit ......... does depend on the area though.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 03:50 AM   #26
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
I always worked on the thirds principle as a rough guide....... third of cost for Land, third for Build and a third for Profit ......... does depend on the area though.
Ah, the good old thirds rule, it’s the same in accountancy business - third for staff, third for other costs, third for profits...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 06:22 AM   #27
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Would love to do this but cannot see how I could a) get the right land and b) get the consents to build the sort of house I would build as most planners would not think my designs "sympathetic" (clue - I buy lots of books on 20th century architecture and photograph brutalist structures)...

Actually, on the last point, I have to laugh at the aesthetics of much of the sh1te that does go up sometimes and got planning consent based on fitting in with the environment...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 06:24 AM   #28
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Pretty much how most of the house builders I used to advise worked it... For as long as I recall...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 06:36 AM   #29
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
Would love to do this but cannot see how I could a) get the right land and b) get the consents to build the sort of house I would build as most planners would not think my designs "sympathetic" (clue - I buy lots of books on 20th century architecture and photograph brutalist structures)...

Actually, on the last point, I have to laugh at the aesthetics of much of the sh1te that does go up sometimes and got planning consent based on fitting in with the environment...
Come and experience our brutalist hotel - pretty sure it was what Prince Charles was referring to in his carbuncle comment. Right between two sites of historic interest too....

And I have a friend who lives in one of the smaller Barbican blocks of flats just opposite the tube station.

Bloody ugly to me but I am no architect
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 06:45 AM   #30
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post

About 12 years ago I paid a £25 lifetime access and get emails every other week.

It's not on this but how about Hawarden £300k plot with a large 6 double bedroom planning approved 2018 too so it's pretty sprinkler (Wales).
As in :

https://plotsearch.buildstore.co.uk/findingland/

?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 06:56 AM   #31
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Come and experience our brutalist hotel - pretty sure it was what Prince Charles was referring to in his carbuncle comment. Right between two sites of historic interest too....
IIRC, that was the extension to the National Gallery...

Quote:
And I have a friend who lives in one of the smaller Barbican blocks of flats just opposite the tube station.

Bloody ugly to me but I am no architect
Like cars, I guess it is all ETTO...

Folk visit castles and think they are great, yet if you build something similarly "solid" out of concrete they think it is rubbish... Personally, I find all the Victorian, Regency and Georgian stuff dreadful...

This is my sort of thing...

https://www.midcenturyhome.com/conte...-luciano-kruk/
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 07:00 AM   #32
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
IIRC, that was the extension to the National Gallery...

Like cars, I guess it is all ETTO...

Folk visit castles and think they are great, yet if you build something similarly "solid" out of concrete they think it is rubbish... Personally, I find all the Victorian, Regency and Georgian stuff dreadful...
Ah, well I reckon a concrete structure between the Tower of London and tower bridge fits the bill. We would think about rebuilding but when they tell you they won’t approve the same number of floors or a bigger footprint, it doesn’t stack up financially....

Yep, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have really bad eyesight!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 07:15 AM   #33
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Ah, well I reckon a concrete structure between the Tower of London and tower bridge fits the bill. We would think about rebuilding but when they tell you they won’t approve the same number of floors or a bigger footprint, it doesn’t stack up financially....

I was never really a fan of the hotel, to be honest... It felt too fussy to me and I would say it was more a pastiche of certain things that went before than anything earth shatteringly novel... Would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall at the design briefings etc...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 08:29 AM   #34
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
Quote:

As in :

https://plotsearch.buildstore.co.uk/findingland/

?
Yes apols, forgot to post the screen grab.

Seems a decent service.
Attached Images

06-21-2021, 03:33 AM   #35
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Quote:

I was never really a fan of the hotel, to be honest... It felt too fussy to me and I would say it was more a pastiche of certain things that went before than anything earth shatteringly novel... Would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall at the design briefings etc...
I imagine you'd be all over this!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...rete-home/amp/
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 05:44 AM   #36
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G50 View Post
I can see where they were going with that but it would not be my design... I think it is proportionately "wrong" to my eyes in some areas... and I suspect that is because they have gone for tall space in the rooms which has led to it being too tall for its dimensions (to my eyes)...

I linked something close to how I might go in an earlier post... more glass and less bunker... and, actually, I would describe my taste are more "mid century modernist" rather than strictly brutalist (albeit I do like a lot of brutalist architecture..)...

But, yes, the actual finishes and some of the furnishings are nice...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 12:29 AM   #37
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

This is s great series on renovation ideas, with some really good architects!! Its a shame to employ these guys in real life would cost crazy money.

Vertical height with glazing really does appear to be the new conservatory. If you are doing a brand new build its well worth getting a really good architect engaged early on.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...ley-and-steven
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 12:37 AM   #38
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Would love to do this but cannot see how I could a) get the right land and b) get the consents to build the sort of house I would build as most planners would not think my designs "sympathetic"
Surely life is too short for regrets, if its something you really want to do, find a way to it. There are run down houses in every part of the country ripe for knocking down and rebuilding. Planning is never a unknown factor, most decent architects will know who the local planners are and can/will advise accordingly.

Clearly if you want to put up a glass box in the middle of a conservation area getting there is much harder than sticking a standard rectangular extension on the side of semi in a residential area, but until you try you will never know.

Money is cheap at the moment, unbelievably cheap almost to the point of been 'free', now is as a good time to live your dream as any!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 02:38 AM   #39
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Taycan Turbo

Quote:
Money is cheap at the moment, unbelievably cheap almost to the point of been 'free', now is as a good time to live your dream as any!
'Free' to borrow....not free. Now that would be a game changer!
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      06-22-2021, 03:45 AM   #40
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyrshireColin View Post
Quote:
'Free' to borrow....not free. Now that would be a game changer!
Yeah I did feel that too. Low interest on £200k is great but £200k plus a tiny bit STILL to be paid back!
      06-22-2021, 12:09 PM   #41
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Surely life is too short for regrets, if its something you really want to do, find a way to it. There are run down houses in every part of the country ripe for knocking down and rebuilding. Planning is never a unknown factor, most decent architects will know who the local planners are and can/will advise accordingly.

Clearly if you want to put up a glass box in the middle of a conservation area getting there is much harder than sticking a standard rectangular extension on the side of semi in a residential area, but until you try you will never know.

Ah, money is never cheap (even if you qualify for the lower offers) and I am a realist when it comes to pipe dreams... I'll not regret something I have no way of realising... Hats off to those that do, but I am not alone, as most folk could not do this...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 12:11 PM   #42
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I did feel that too. Low interest on £200k is great but £200k plus a tiny bit STILL to be paid back!
There's a massive difference (financially) between doing these sorts of things and buying an M135 on a PCP (as I am)...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 03:34 PM   #43
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Nice plot for sale near us, just the £750k.... On thirds, that's going to make it some house price! I dont see the house that has planning permission being worth much more than £1.5m so land a bit overpriced then...

(when I say near us, I mean geographically but a whole different world really!)
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 07:11 AM   #44
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Nice plot for sale near us, just the £750k.... On thirds, that's going to make it some house price! I dont see the house that has planning permission being worth much more than £1.5m so land a bit overpriced then...

(when I say near us, I mean geographically but a whole different world really!)
Perhaps there might be scope for a developer to squeeze 3 houses onto the plot. A quick call to his buddy in the planning department who seems to live a lifestyle beyond the means of a humble council employee...

I'm often amazed by the number of houses that end up on some of these plots
Appreciate 1
Sennen1730.50