F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > ACS Springs Upgrade F30 330d
proTUNING Freaks

07-17-2018, 04:49 PM   #23
McBeemer
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d Xd MSport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
I doubt the suspension is in any way lacking.

But the OP does say that they were doing 'higher speeds'.

I suspect it's more that a case of excessive speed, lack of attentiveness, and an over-correction being far more to blame than the suspension setup.

As Lorcan mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, they have supplied around 2000 sets of their ACS springs for 3/4 series F series cars. I think this is a good indication that the suspension setup from the factory is not to every ones liking …. I include myself, as I had ACS springs fitted upon collection of my new 335d last year. My previous 320d Xdrive had standard SE (my first BMW) suspension and on my first gently spirited drive on the A road home, I really questioned the "Ultimate driving machine" tag that had led me to this car!
My previous Honda Accord Touring handled with more finesse and surefootedness.
The ACS springs have made a marked difference to my current car, without any loss of comfort, although to take it to another level, I'm now contemplating damper replacement.

I enjoy driving

Gone: 2015 F31 320d M Sport Xdrive Auto
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 03:47 AM   #24
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by denzo View Post
Instead of assuming what I meant let me explain. By higher speeds, I mean b roads and motorway driving, basically anything other than in town driving. If a small bump or uneveness in the road can cause you to change direction I would call that lacking.
That is NOT what you said at all.

I quote your original post :

Quote:
After a nervous encounter on the motorway doing higher speeds, where the car wafted from right to left
No mention of B roads, just a single incident at high speed on a motorway.

What sort of speed was it in the incident on the motorway/autobahn ?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 06:05 AM   #25
denzo
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Quote:
That is NOT what you said at all.

I quote your original post :

No mention of B roads, just a single incident at high speed on a motorway.

What sort of speed was it in the incident on the motorway/autobahn ?
Top quality investigation skills, you got me I was doing a million miles per hour on the German autobahn

Not to say other incidents had happened in the past where I thought the stock set up was lacking. The mentioned one is when I decided to get them fitted.

The point of this thread is that I didnt like the stock setup and got the springs fitted. Glad I did because its a quality product that improves handling. So what exactly is your point ?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 06:25 AM   #26
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

My point is exactly what I made originally.

From reading your original post, it looks very much like you were caning it, got into trouble, found the car to be a bit squirmy in such conditions, and thus decided that it wasn't the lack of judgement, or the excessive speed, or an over-correction (all faults on your part) but the springs fitted to the car that were at fault.

And now you're back-pedalling furiously, with claims that the car had regularly been dubious on handling for a long time.

And you've still carefully avoided answering my question about the real speed in the motorway incident, I notice ...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 06:34 AM   #27
McBeemer
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d Xd MSport Touring

Quote:

From reading your original post, it looks very much like you were caning it, got into trouble, found the car to be a bit squirmy in such conditions, and thus decided that it wasn't the lack of judgement, or the excessive speed, or an over-correction (all faults on your part) but the springs fitted to the car that were at fault.

And now you're back-pedalling furiously, with claims that the car had regularly been dubious on handling for a long time.

And you've still carefully avoided answering my question about the real speed in the motorway incident, I notice ...
I'm a little intrigued why there is a gestapo style investigation going on, when the op simply stated that he found the standard suspension lacking, as have many others on the forum
I still feel slightly compelled to read it though!

Gone: 2015 F31 320d M Sport Xdrive Auto
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 06:46 AM   #28
denzo
Rep

Quote:

Yes the handling was poor and now its not.

Ive made my point about why this thread was created, there is literally zero point in trying to justify to you why I went for the springs.

Maybe ease up a little and take a chill pill, you seem very frustrated
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 08:47 AM   #29
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by denzo View Post
Yes the handling was poor and now its not.

Ive made my point about why this thread was created, there is literally zero point in trying to justify to you why I went for the springs.

Maybe ease up a little and take a chill pill, you seem very frustrated
Not at all. But I reckon I'm pretty good at spotting a bullshitter though.

Hell, at least I'm not in denial about my driving limitations, and blaming all my stupid mistakes on the car.

I wonder what'll be to blame next time you fuck it up ?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 09:21 AM   #30
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

I've got to say I found the motorway handling (if you can call it that, I mean you're practically going in a straight line) to be sublime on standard springs. Not sure how it can be that bad on such a fast road unless you're are driving in a manner that you really shouldn't be. Not driven the car hard enough on twisty roads so see anything I'm not satisfied with and don't have any intention to either.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #31
denzo
Rep

Quote:

Hell, at least I'm not in denial about my driving limitations, and blaming all my stupid mistakes on the car.

Very good, your being wasted on this forum

What a angry little man
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 03:29 AM   #32
TonyBuon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw x3 M40i

Quote:

OP is just saying what tons and tons of people with any history of driving BMW's has said many times before. You don't believe him/me.....just click that search button and see how many threads you get.

It's wallowy at legal speeds on windy roads. LCI's I believe were improved, clearly also adaptive would lessen the issue. Stop harassing him and move on.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #33
1966-TR4
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 330D xDrive MPPK ACS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
I've got to say I found the motorway handling (if you can call it that, I mean you're practically going in a straight line) to be sublime on standard springs. Not sure how it can be that bad on such a fast road unless you're are driving in a manner that you really shouldn't be. Not driven the car hard enough on twisty roads so see anything I'm not satisfied with and don't have any intention to either.
Is your car pre or post LCI ? The floatiness is even more pronounced on pre.

Did you buy the car new or 2nd hand? If 2nd hand, it may already be on stiffer springs.

Gone but not forgotten: 1967 Triumph GT6 Mk1 (6 pot 2 litre widowmaker) 1966 Triumph TR4A (4 pot 2.2 litre, huge torque, lovely car) 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro (weak springs & nose heavy) 2006 VW Golf GTI (brilliant on good tyres)
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #34
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966-TR4 View Post
Is your car pre or post LCI ? The floatiness is even more pronounced on pre.

Did you buy the car new or 2nd hand? If 2nd hand, it may already be on stiffer springs.
It's 2015 but pre LCI. It doesn't look like it's on stiffer springs as there's still a fair gap between wheels and arches but I will take a picture and put it on here to confirm.
Appreciate 0