F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Akrapovic CF Mirror Cap
Extreme Powerhouse

12-16-2017, 01:30 AM   #1
fscuderia23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i EBII + PPK/MPE

Akrapovic CF Mirror Cap

Just wanted to let all us f30 guys know that Akrapovic sells a set of CF caps specifically for the F87 M2, but they do indeed fit on our cars as well! If you're looking for a different style, tired of the $100-200 CF caps that are often rather ill fitting, or don't want to shell out the ridiculous amount of money that BMW wants for genuine M Performance caps, I highly recommend giving these a go. They come in either dry CF like the ones I got, or glossy CF like the M performance.

I was having difficulty with a set of replica caps I bought from one of the venders on here. They bent out of shape due to, I suspect, being under the sun, as I was able to reshape them with some heat. About a year after I noticed the issue, it got so bad that every time I closed the door, the cap would just pop off.

I took advantage of some black friday deals to remedy the situation, and to try something new. The Akra caps are like the OEM M performance ones as they actually provide screws and washers for you to install the piece, as opposed to the replica caps that have clips built in. Everything that is necessary for install, apart from a torx t20 screwdriver, is provided in Akra's kit.

These are quite a bit more high quality compared with the replica CF caps. As you can maybe see from the pictures, the Akra is one entire piece of CF whereas the replicas seem to be a couple layers of CF laid on top of plastic. The replicas are notably thicker and heavier than the Akras

Installation is pretty straightforward and standard. You'll need a trim removal tool, (I used a shoehorn… don't ask ) to pop the mirror out. Then undo the clips to remove the original caps. It is intriguing that the instruction manual tells you to break off a couple pieces of plastic (the piece circled below); I suspect the OEM m performance caps require the same as otherwise the screws and washers won't fit (maybe someone who's installed the M performance caps can confirm this). It doesn't seem like the tab effects the reversibility of this "mod", as the clips on the original cap don't seem to rely on them.

The caps are screwed in at 3 points using washers and torx t20 screws, so they're very secure once they're installed. Fitment is pretty much perfect. They sit flush with the rest of the mirror housing, unlike the replicas that actually stick out quite a bit around all edges even when installed correctly, due to its thickness.

Install took around 30-45 minutes, but I'm normally pretty clumsy so I was being extra careful and took my time. Overall really happy with my purchase and I'd recommend these to anyone interested! Sorry about the lengthiness of this whole thing! I was worried they wouldn't fit as they were made for the M2 so I figured I'd post this up so if anyone was on the edge about them, they'd have an easier time deciding. Here's one last picture of the car with them installed.
Excuse the poor quality of some of these photos… the Essential Phone's camera still.. needs a bit of work…

Last edited by fscuderia23; 12-16-2017 at 01:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
jalkster220.00
      12-16-2017, 04:37 AM   #2
n0derat
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 184HP 8AT

Hi! and hello everyone, as i'm new to the forum.

These look great, CF somehow fits very well with the blue.

I had the idea of installing M3 style mirror caps - such as these

not only for the looks, but maybe they could help with wind noise, as they have additional deflector on the upper corner.

Have anybody maybe tried these and can say how is it?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 03:42 PM   #3
CoopersF15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 Xdrive 40e Performance

Well the M Perf ones are indeed ridiculously over priced but so is $600 for these. Very nice but not exactly appropriately priced.

Thanks for the detailed write up though.
      12-17-2017, 08:17 AM   #4
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Nice. Now you just need some Orbit Grey wheels to go with the black side skirts, grills and splitters.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0