F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > First Audio Upgrade, bimmertech Amp or Ghost Subs?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #1
BryanF30
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black 2013 335i xdrive m-sport

First Audio Upgrade, bimmertech Amp or Ghost Subs?

He everyone,

I have the HiFi system, and what I am really looking for is for the bass to sound better. I want the midbass toned down a notch and I want low frequencies to come on nice and smooth. I am not going to add a sub to the trunk. Where would my money be better spent to accomplish this? Are the factory under-seat subs capable of reproducing the lower frequencies with the bimmertech amp(My e90 hifi system hit the lows very nicely)? Or if I leave the factory amp and get the ghost subs(or other ones that will work with factory amp) will they hit the lows better?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 09:28 AM   #2
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanF30 View Post
He everyone,

I have the HiFi system, and what I am really looking for is for the bass to sound better. I want the midbass toned down a notch and I want low frequencies to come on nice and smooth. I am not going to add a sub to the trunk. Where would my money be better spent to accomplish this? Are the factory under-seat subs capable of reproducing the lower frequencies with the bimmertech amp(My e90 hifi system hit the lows very nicely)? Or if I leave the factory amp and get the ghost subs(or other ones that will work with factory amp) will they hit the lows better?

Thanks
Go with the amp first, no question. You won't regret it but do keep in mind that to get the lowest of lows, you need a larger independent sub. I'm picky with my sound and am more than satisfied using the stock speakers with the Bimmertech amp. MUCH cleaner sound and the bass is much better! I will be possibly adding a 12" in the back with a SMALL amp just to achieve the lower ranges but for now, it works well without.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 09:32 AM   #3
BryanF30
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
Go with the amp first, no question. You won't regret it but do keep in mind that to get the lowest of lows, you need a larger independent sub. I'm picky with my sound and am more than satisfied using the stock speakers with the Bimmertech amp. MUCH cleaner sound and the bass is much better! I will be possibly adding a 12" in the back with a SMALL amp just to achieve the lower ranges but for now, it works well without.
This is good to hear! I am also picky about my audio, and my e90 was just on the point where I didn't feel the "need" to change anything, however the f30 for whatever reason is a different story. If adding the bimmertech amp will get me back to the sounds of my e90 then I will be happy. Did you notice an improvement in the low end response? And also, with the dsp in the bimmertech amp, can you cut out some of the boominess from the midbass?

Also did you have to change anything with the ASD?

Last edited by BryanF30; 02-07-2017 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 09:54 AM   #4
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

Sorry to throw a curve, but I would actually go with the Bavsound stage 1 speaker kit first. The sound of the factory front speakers isn't good. The bavsound tweeters make a huge difference. Probably the most important are the 5 front speakers and add a center tweeter.

Also based on your want for better sounding base I would do the subs themselves before the amp. Factory subs are pretty sloppy and I have heard the stock subs with the Bimmertech amp and it's louder, but still not very clean. Although I have not heard the subs without the amp - I have both - I would expect them to clean up a good bit, even if they aren't super powerful.

The good news is, I have the Bavsound full speaker kit including underseat subs and the Bimmertech amp and am very happy with it for plug and play nature of the whole thing. I used to do full systems, but I am past the point of monkeying with the whole interior to install an audio system. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 1
CalCarNut1060.50
      02-07-2017, 10:03 AM   #5
BryanF30
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpea View Post
Sorry to throw a curve, but I would actually go with the Bavsound stage 1 speaker kit first. The sound of the factory front speakers isn't good. The bavsound tweeters make a huge difference. Probably the most important are the 5 front speakers and add a center tweeter.

Also based on your want for better sounding base I would do the subs themselves before the amp. Factory subs are pretty sloppy and I have heard the stock subs with the Bimmertech amp and it's louder, but still not very clean. Although I have not heard the subs without the amp - I have both - I would expect them to clean up a good bit, even if they aren't super powerful.

The good news is, I have the Bavsound full speaker kit including underseat subs and the Bimmertech amp and am very happy with it for plug and play nature of the whole thing. I used to do full systems, but I am past the point of monkeying with the whole interior to install an audio system. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Hmm interesting perspective too. My original plan was to just do the subs and go from there. Will prob eventually upgrade everything.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 10:12 AM   #6
metallicpea
Major
Rep

Also, for a point of reference, I didn't have my factory hifi system very long before I did the full swap, but I had an HK loaner recently and though it sounded bad. Harsh and boomy. So the aftermarket stuff was certainly worth the premium over the HK to my ears.
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 10:14 AM   #7
BryanF30
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Also, for a point of reference, I didn't have my factory hifi system very long before I did the full swap, but I had an HK loaner recently and though it sounded bad. Harsh and boomy. So the aftermarket stuff was certainly worth the premium over the HK to my ears.
Exactly what I was looking for. Would you be able to compare it to the logic 7 system in an e90? Ultimately that is the sound that I am after. The harsh boominess is exactly what I am trying to eliminate.

With the bimmertech amp, did you have to disable ASD?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #8
metallicpea
Major
Rep

I had logic 7 in my E60, but never heard an E90. What I have now is the closest to that I have had in a BMW and I have had a couple other HK systems in the last 15 years.

Logic 7 was better in some respects, but I think the system I have now is better in some ways too. Logic7 soundstage was really good, but my current system is less thin that the Logic7 was. Once you get the Bimmertech amp, make sure to add the bavsound front center tweeter. I confirmed it was compatible and added it seperately - big improvment to the front soundstage.

I do not have ASD, so can't help you there.
Appreciate 1
jeffc83725.00
      02-07-2017, 11:37 AM   #9
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
This is good to hear! I am also picky about my audio, and my e90 was just on the point where I didn't feel the "need" to change anything, however the f30 for whatever reason is a different story. If adding the bimmertech amp will get me back to the sounds of my e90 then I will be happy. Did you notice an improvement in the low end response? And also, with the dsp in the bimmertech amp, can you cut out some of the boominess from the midbass?

Also did you have to change anything with the ASD?
Great questions and as you can see, everyone has a different set of ears if you will I can't argue with metallicpea as he's right...the OEM speakers aren't that good. However, my opinion of the speakers are MUCH better after swapping out the amp as you can set anything you want within the DSP app. You can easily cut out any part of the wave with proper adjustments. I noticed some of my bass test files got much lower than before but still no go on the lowest of lows man...just needs a bigger independent sub to get that back.

I will say I'm planning on swapping out the subs with the ghost subs and possibly the center channel.

The best question you had was with the ASD. At first, it was louder and distorted but I knew something was wrong so I started over and reloaded the tune. That's when the ASD just disappeared out of nowhere. I have to say if you like the ASD, do not use this amp as it has a filter in the connector to eliminate the sound completely. Some said coding was needed but I'm almost positive that they added some type of bypass on the harness. I like the quietness now but the engine doesn't sound as good when driven hard, lol. (still relatively quiet overall but I'm used to Caddies so it worked out)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #10
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I had logic 7 in my E60, but never heard an E90. What I have now is the closest to that I have had in a BMW and I have had a couple other HK systems in the last 15 years.

Logic 7 was better in some respects, but I think the system I have now is better in some ways too. Logic7 soundstage was really good, but my current system is less thin that the Logic7 was. Once you get the Bimmertech amp, make sure to add the bavsound front center tweeter. I confirmed it was compatible and added it seperately - big improvment to the front soundstage.

I do not have ASD, so can't help you there.
That's next for me...if I can ask, how difficult was the center speaker install? Which one did you go with? Thanks in advance and my apologies for going
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #11
BryanF30
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
Great questions and as you can see, everyone has a different set of ears if you will I can't argue with metallicpea as he's right...the OEM speakers aren't that good. However, my opinion of the speakers are MUCH better after swapping out the amp as you can set anything you want within the DSP app. You can easily cut out any part of the wave with proper adjustments. I noticed some of my bass test files got much lower than before but still no go on the lowest of lows man...just needs a bigger independent sub to get that back.

I will say I'm planning on swapping out the subs with the ghost subs and possibly the center channel.

The best question you had was with the ASD. At first, it was louder and distorted but I knew something was wrong so I started over and reloaded the tune. That's when the ASD just disappeared out of nowhere. I have to say if you like the ASD, do not use this amp as it has a filter in the connector to eliminate the sound completely. Some said coding was needed but I'm almost positive that they added some type of bypass on the harness. I like the quietness now but the engine doesn't sound as good when driven hard, lol. (still relatively quiet overall but I'm used to Caddies so it worked out)
This is also good to know, maybe that wont be a huge issue if I go with the mpe and a catted dp . Thank you guys for all of the help! As I said I believe I will eventually replace everything anyways. Thank you both for your input
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 11:55 AM   #12
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
This is also good to know, maybe that wont be a huge issue if I go with the mpe and a catted dp . Thank you guys for all of the help! As I said I believe I will eventually replace everything anyways. Thank you both for your input
That'll sure fix 'er, haha! Happy to help and enjoy your new ride!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #13
metallicpea
Major
Rep

The center was pretty easy - the grill just pops up, but be careful with it to not break off any tabs - I can't imagine a new grill is that expensive if you were to break a tab.

I bought the bavsound tweeter that goes with the HK speaker upgrade kit. It matches the front door tweeters very well.

Wiring was easy, one harness plugs into the other, so both speakers run off the factory single speaker connector.

Working in the front is a bit tight - but nothing too tricky. Once the grill is off you can see everything very well. The driver fits pretty good - make sure the screws are long enough when using the spacer. I stripped one and had to find a bigger/longer screw.

I also had to trim off one of the tabs that holds the grill down. It was in the way of where the replacement driver sits. It still had all the corner clips, so it doesn't seem to effect the fit of the grill at all.
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT

Last edited by metallicpea; 02-07-2017 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #14
BryanF30
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The center was pretty easy - the grill just pops up, but be careful with it to not break off any tabs - I can't imagine a new grill is that expensive if you were to break a tab.

I bought the bavsound tweeter that goes with the HK speaker upgrade kit. It matches the front door tweeters very well.

Wiring was easy, one harness plugs into the other, so both speakers run off the factor single speaker connector.

Working in the front is a bit tight - but nothing too tricky. Once the grill is off you can see everything very well. The driver fits pretty good - make sure the screws are long enough when using the spacer. I stripped one and had to find a bigger/longer screw.

I also had to trim off one of the tabs that holds the grill down. It was in the way of where the replacement driver sits. It still had all the corner clips, so it doesn't seem to effect the fit of the grill at all.
Oh so its a separate part? Do you have a link by chance? Did you also upgrade the center driver that is already there? And does this only work with bimmertech amp?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 12:13 PM   #15
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks metallicpea! I have the same questions now as Bryan asked above regarding the part no, haha.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 12:58 PM   #16
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

If you're gonna upgrade the whole system in the long run, then you should go with IntegralAudio.
I have BSW stage 1, Bimmertech Amp and Ghost sub. They are awesome! If I could choose again, I'd go with IA because it is a complete system and is fine tuned.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 01:06 PM   #17
BryanF30
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfanos View Post
If you're gonna upgrade the whole system in the long run, then you should go with IntegralAudio.
I have BSW stage 1, Bimmertech Amp and Ghost sub. They are awesome! If I could choose again, I'd go with IA because it is a complete system and is fine tuned.
I will have to look into them, at a quick glance it appears as though they are quite a bit more expensive than the bav, and also only for the front sound stage? And looks a little less "plug-and-play". Out of curiosity, why exactly would you go with IA if you could do it again? Does it sound better? Seems like you can fine tune the bimmertech amp any way you desire.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 02:22 PM   #18
metallicpea
Major
Rep

OK, so the bavsound kit for the hifi system only comes with an upgraded center mid driver because the BMW hifi system only has a center mid driver - no tweeter.

The HK system has a tweeter as well as a mid driver. So the HK speaker upgrade kit includes both upgraded speakers. I just bought the bavsound tweeter from the HK kit separate and added it.

I was only able to confirm with Bimmertech that this would be ok with their amp. I can't imagine you would ever get such a detailed answer from BMW on their factory amp and I don't know enough about the electrical bits to be sure it is or is not OK with the factory amp.

I don't have a part number handy, but I might have the box at home still and can verify the bavsound part number. The bavsound website just calls it "center channel tweeter"
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 1
jeffc83725.00
      02-07-2017, 02:44 PM   #19
BryanF30
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
OK, so the bavsound kit for the hifi system only comes with an upgraded center mid driver because the BMW hifi system only has a center mid driver - no tweeter.

The HK system has a tweeter as well as a mid driver. So the HK speaker upgrade kit includes both upgraded speakers. I just bought the bavsound tweeter from the HK kit separate and added it.

I was only able to confirm with Bimmertech that this would be ok with their amp. I can't imagine you would ever get such a detailed answer from BMW on their factory amp and I don't know enough about the electrical bits to be sure it is or is not OK with the factory amp.

I don't have a part number handy, but I might have the box at home still and can verify the bavsound part number. The bavsound website just calls it "center channel tweeter"
Awesome, thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 03:42 PM   #20
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks metallicpea
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 05:55 PM   #21
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

The amp will give you better sound from all speakers, whereas replacing the underseat subs will get you better bass only. I would say upgrade Amp first and then determine if the speakers are good enough for you.

This is what I would do if I were you:

1) Get new Amp. Since it should be plug and play so you can probably do this yourself. This will get you best "bang for buck".

2) If you find the low end lacking, replace underseat woofers with plug and play woofers such as ghost subs (I think focal and earthquake also make plug and play ones). Depending on how mechanically inclined you are and what tools you have, this should be a fairly simple swap as well.

3) At this point, if you feel that audio quality and range is lacking, replace midrange and tweeters.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 05:58 PM   #22
BryanF30
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleruckus View Post
The amp will give you better sound from all speakers, whereas replacing the underseat subs will get you better bass only. I would say upgrade Amp first and then determine if the speakers are good enough for you.

This is what I would do if I were you:

1) Get new Amp. Since it should be plug and play so you can probably do this yourself. This will get you best "bang for buck".

2) If you find the low end lacking, replace underseat woofers with plug and play woofers such as ghost subs (I think focal and earthquake also make plug and play ones). Depending on how mechanically inclined you are and what tools you have, this should be a fairly simple swap as well.

3) At this point, if you feel that audio quality and range is lacking, replace midrange and tweeters.
I agree with you. The only reason I would buy the subs before the amp is 1, the subs are cheaper. 2. I don't have to deal with the ASD crap. 3. The other speakers could def be improved, but I don't currently hate them.
Appreciate 0