F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Stock turbo XDI 35 map question
Extreme Powerhouse

08-13-2020, 06:58 PM   #45
ZM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

@bmw diy guy

Hey, don’t feel bad. You made your decision based on the information you had, as did I and I got burned by Cary.

Go run your tune on a hot summer day with back to back pulls and post the logs. They won’t look pretty. If you only stay in the PNW and do a highway pull here and there, you’ll be fine.

Cary’s tunes are for dyno glory runs. They don’t hold up under non-ideal conditions. Hell, with FBO, E47, and a Dorch pump, I couldn’t even get him to make one stable map that except for one that was a little better than OTS Stg 2 E30.

When you look at 50 logs on the same hardware in different temps/conditions it’s very easy to see how Cary’s tunes are dumb—aim for higher boost and timing targets until there’s an issue and then pull timing.

While Halim’s maps are much more “alive” and change other parameters beside timing pull to adjust to conditions. And, they make more power.

So, if you have consistent fuel & conditions that you can tune to, Cary’s map will work for you. If you track your car or daily drive thru the seasons, there are better options.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 07:04 PM   #46
thejeremyman9
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
Side note, I am hoping to get some dyno time soon, and if so will run S2 OTS and the custom tune to get comparisons in general.

Good feedback.
Logs and videos, please!

And yeah just want to reiterate nothing against you or your build. Hopefully this discussion has been at least helpful in the sense that you know what to look out for and/or discuss with your tuner based on your recent logs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post

When you look at 50 logs on the same hardware in different temps/conditions it’s very easy to see how Cary’s tunes are dumb—aim for higher boost and timing targets until there’s an issue and then pull timing.

So, if you have consistent fuel & conditions that you can tune to, Cary’s map will work for you. If you track your car or daily drive thru the seasons, there are better options.
This seems consistent from what i have seen based on looking at custom tune logs from Cary, bolded part in particular. The tunes can be very fast and deliver power, but are not necessarily designed to be 'flexible'.
Appreciate 1
ZM21312.00

08-13-2020, 09:50 PM   #47
Bowenpuref3p
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
Hey yall..

So yes.. great numbers, early in the year, and weather, temp, humidity and a dozen other factors will flex those numbers. I agree though that the numbers themselves are almost useless, and just a snapshot in time. They could be better or worse tomorrow.

I have my full buildout in my sig, but running 92oct with NO meth (though seriously thought about it) and stock turbo. I also agree that all of this build around the stock turbo is overkill, but that is next on the list, only so much I can do at a time.

The upgraded HPFP though made a HUGE difference. I jumped almost 30rwp just on the pump change alone, so it can and will make a difference even with stock turbos. The jump was from the low 380s to like 410. Then going to the custom tune jumped me to 440. Fuel rail pressure was cratering at anything past about 5500 RPM with the stock HPFP, so the upgrade was absolutely worth it.

I am very much aware I am flogging the stock turbo hard.. my logs from just yesterday showed 22.9 max at one point, so know I am sucking the life out of it. Big turbo upgrade is on my radar for hopefully no later than next spring, Pure, Littco or maybe Mosselman.

My goal though isnt numbers.. its just butt dyno power increase (which I have now in spades, the car is almost silly at times), and reasonable reliability all on pump gas. I don't have time to blend e85, and really found the thought of meth a hassle. I want to just hit my local (good) gas station and call it good.
I have a random question as I saw you mentioned possibley going with Mosselmans upgraded turbo. Until I read you mention it I never new that was an option. So I checked out there website and they offer what they call a stg1 turbo for pwg n55 and say it's good for 420-500 or so. Do you know if this is comparable in size to the pure stg2 upgrade? I'm guessing it is because the power numbers seem similar. Any info would be great
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 11:56 PM   #48
thejeremyman9
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowenpuref3p View Post
I have a random question as I saw you mentioned possibley going with Mosselmans upgraded turbo. Until I read you mention it I never new that was an option. So I checked out there website and they offer what they call a stg1 turbo for pwg n55 and say it's good for 420-500 or so. Do you know if this is comparable in size to the pure stg2 upgrade? I'm guessing it is because the power numbers seem similar. Any info would be great
Have a link to the one you are talking about? A stage 1 turbo equal to a PS2 would be a misnomer because a stage 1 turbo is the cold side only. And if it is cold side only, theres no way its making 500hp on a PWG.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 03:30 AM   #49
Bowenpuref3p
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowenpuref3p View Post
Have a link to the one you are talking about? A stage 1 turbo equal to a PS2 would be a misnomer because a stage 1 turbo is the cold side only. And if it is cold side only, theres no way its making 500hp on a PWG.
It's a full replacement with the turbo fold they just call it a stg1. It seems like an interesting option if it is indeed capable of 500.
https://mosselman.acc5.steets.nl/en/...-n55-420-540hp
Appreciate 0