F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Help!!How to retrofit my new cluster into my F30
GetBMWParts

03-10-2018, 01:18 PM   #133
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilo View Post
Some news:
So I started with the Black panel IC.
R270 and SOP8 clip test just received. I had to make some soldering points to assemble both units.
Then, I began by erasing odometer - well competed (see pictures)
after that, bytes 2E0x 8 to F modified to FF value - .BIN written

By against, for the others VIN in the hexa file (0x7F to 0x8F or 59 to 5A ) I have only FF value on these bytes..

2 questions:
is there possibility to convert BIN file to text file to search if there are others VIN to modify ?
how to get VIN from 8 Bytes read in 2E0 line ?

Did u have to break ur test clip in order for it to fit??
Mine wount fit unless I snap off the end. I don’t see why that would hurt anything but jus wanna make sure. Lol
Anyone??
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 09:28 PM   #134
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 320i xdrive

Got it working. Had it modify test clip but my problem now is do I still choose DOWQ in the r270 software even if I have dowt?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 10:15 PM   #135
Alturiak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have a question about clearing the VIN on the EEPROM. First question is, the VIN is stored on the 160D0WQ chip right?

Next is, when I read that chip, line 2E0 only has values on columns 08 and 09 (29 and A9, respectively), columns A-F are all blanked to FF. Is this the correct line for the VIN info? Do I just clear the other two columns and I'm good to go? I'm used to being able to clearly read a full VIN ending 7 digits (or whatever it is).

Any help would be much appreciated! I'd rather not hook everything back up to find out something with the VIN programming was incorrect.
2011 E92 M-Sport BSM, Built N55 with 9.5:1 compression and forged internals, VAC Stage 3 Ported Head, custom tuned by Twisted Tuning, PR Coils, Pure Stage 2, Fuel It! Phoenix Race PI Manifold, StopTech BBK 380mm front 345mm rear, BBS CH-R Titanium, Dinan exhaust w/black tips, BMS Intake, DCT shifter retrofit, VRSF 3.5" downpipe, VRSF 7" HD IC, CSL CF trunk, 335is Rear Diffusor, Alpina B3 Trans Flash
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 10:21 PM   #136
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6sp

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alturiak View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have a question about clearing the VIN on the EEPROM. First question is, the VIN is stored on the 160D0WQ chip right?

Next is, when I read that chip, line 2E0 only has values on columns 08 and 09 (29 and A9, respectively), columns A-F are all blanked to FF. Is this the correct line for the VIN info? Do I just clear the other two columns and I'm good to go? I'm used to being able to clearly read a full VIN ending 7 digits (or whatever it is).

Any help would be much appreciated! I'd rather not hook everything back up to find out something with the VIN programming was incorrect.
Personally what I did was I just went through the whole entire eeprom and just did FF for every single time I found my short vin ON TOP of following the guides for clearing vin even through I didn't exactly see my vin on the exact values mentioned. It still ended up working perfectly fine for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 10:33 PM   #137
Alturiak
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightf30 View Post
Personally what I did was I just went through the whole entire eeprom and just did FF for every single time I found my short vin ON TOP of following the guides for clearing vin even through I didn't exactly see my vin on the exact values mentioned. It still ended up working perfectly fine for me.
Do you by chance remember which lines those were or have any pics? I'm trying to virginize my donor cluster and don't know the VIN of the car it was pulled from I saw a couple lines that kind of look like they had some vin info but they were shortly after the mileage rows near the beginning.

Are there any other lines I should clear? Line 2E0 should still have values of FF from column 08 through to column F right?
2011 E92 M-Sport BSM, Built N55 with 9.5:1 compression and forged internals, VAC Stage 3 Ported Head, custom tuned by Twisted Tuning, PR Coils, Pure Stage 2, Fuel It! Phoenix Race PI Manifold, StopTech BBK 380mm front 345mm rear, BBS CH-R Titanium, Dinan exhaust w/black tips, BMS Intake, DCT shifter retrofit, VRSF 3.5" downpipe, VRSF 7" HD IC, CSL CF trunk, 335is Rear Diffusor, Alpina B3 Trans Flash
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 10:36 PM   #138
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Do you by chance remember which lines those were or have any pics? I'm trying to virginize my donor cluster and don't know the VIN of the car it was pulled from I saw a couple lines that kind of look like they had some vin info but they were shortly after the mileage rows near the beginning.

Are there any other lines I should clear? Line 2E0 should still have values of FF from column 08 through to column F right?
Dang that would make it a lot easier, is there no way of asking the person you got it from, id have to sift through my photos I think I may have taken a pic but i gotta get to my laptop hopefully someone has a better answer I'll see if I can find it.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 10:44 PM   #139
Alturiak
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Dang that would make it a lot easier, is there no way of asking the person you got it from, id have to sift through my photos I think I may have taken a pic but i gotta get to my laptop hopefully someone has a better answer I'll see if I can find it.
If you had pics that would be awesome! If not, maybe I could send you my bin file and you could take a look at it for me and let me know which other lines you'd suggest blanking? I can PM you if that's easier.

Per the guidelines, line 2E0 is supposed to be the vin line, right?? If I blank the columns that are supposed to be the vin I should be good to go??
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 10:53 PM   #140
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
If you had pics that would be awesome! If not, maybe I could send you my bin file and you could take a look at it for me and let me know which other lines you'd suggest blanking? I can PM you if that's easier.

Per the guidelines, line 2E0 is supposed to be the vin line, right?? If I blank the columns that are supposed to be the vin I should be good to go??
Yea shoot it over to me I'll look at it too, I can't remember is that what it said in the guide because whatever it said to clear in the guide I cleared on top of what I did, yes after that though and it's plugged in and cafd is injected with your vin it should take your vin .
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 11:25 PM   #141
Alturiak
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yea shoot it over to me I'll look at it too, I can't remember is that what it said in the guide because whatever it said to clear in the guide I cleared on top of what I did, yes after that though and it's plugged in and cafd is injected with your vin it should take your vin .
PM'd
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 10:19 AM   #142
BMWFanaticRob
Rep
Drives: F33 435i

Did you ever get the info on which lines to clear? I'm trying to do the same thing.

I'm having issues write back to the 160D0WT chip. After I change VIN it continues to give me a verify error with the location being the first address location that I changed to FF. Oddly, I can change the mileage with no issue. Do I need to desolder the chip?

Last edited by BMWFanaticRob; 06-13-2019 at 07:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 04:48 AM   #143
Robi Comino
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

What I need to do for my car about this topic

Hello everybody
Roberto here.
I'd like to change for my BMW F30 ( VIN: K853117) the cluster from basic to 6WA.

I have some questions about it:

My F30 K853117 with entrynav business has a combox. Is it true that in my cas is a mess because the orange cable from the unit to the cluste won't be enough?
Can somebody explain me what else I need, in terms of optic fiber cable

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Robi Comino; 03-07-2021 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: I asked wrong questions
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 09:16 AM   #144
SharkGrogu
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i F30 LCI

6WA cluster retrofit

Hi guys,

I want to change my basic clusters to 6WA.

Currently I have the basic clusters and no navigation on my car.

I saw that the 6WA clusters have space for two more connectors: one seems to be the double fiber optic cable (added it) and another blue one.

My question: do I still need to add the blue cable also? Or is just for cars that have navigation system?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 09:59 AM   #145
larry_bml
First Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 Sport Line 320ded

Blue one is only for HUD. So no need to connect if you don’t have HUD. But also, without MOST you can not code it. So you need to connect already existed connector and MOST to headunit, otherwise you can not code it.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 11:08 AM   #146
SharkGrogu
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i F30 LCI

Talking 6WA cluster retrofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_bml View Post
Blue one is only for HUD. So no need to connect if you don’t have HUD. But also, without MOST you can not code it. So you need to connect already existed connector and MOST to headunit, otherwise you can not code it.
Thank you for your reply.

I guess MOST is the double optical cable.

I changed the connector since I don't have navigation and now it's coding waiting.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 12:21 PM   #147
JaysonGoh
Rep
Drives: 330i

Sorry to bring up the old thread, can anyone tell me if it’s normal to have this red dot on F30 6WA extended cluster when I turn on the cluster without connect to the car after I replace the vin number to FF in eeprom?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 12:29 PM   #148
tarekelsakka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysonGoh View Post
Sorry to bring up the old thread, can anyone tell me if it’s normal to have this red dot on F30 6WA extended cluster when I turn on the cluster without connect to the car after I replace the vin number to FF in eeprom?
A red dost on the cluster usually means there’s a mileage discrepancy between the cluster and the modules in your car. You have to recode/reflash it properly.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 12:42 PM   #149
JaysonGoh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarekelsakka View Post
A red dost on the cluster usually means there’s a mileage discrepancy between the cluster and the modules in your car. You have to recode/reflash it properly.
Thanks for your reply, the cluster have not install on the car yet. I just power it on the cluster making sure that I have cleared the mileage and previous owner vin number and it’s when I see the red dot. I guess even the red dot is there after install it to my car I still can code it to get rid of the red dot right
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 12:45 PM   #150
tarekelsakka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysonGoh View Post
Thanks for your reply, the cluster have not install on the car yet. I just power it on the cluster making sure that I have cleared the mileage and previous owner vin number and it’s when I see the red dot. I guess even the red dot is there after install it to my car I still can code it to get rid of the red dot right
Pretty sure it's normal if it has a red dot before you install it. If you flash everything properly once it's installed, the red dot should disappear, all the modules should have a very similar average mileage when they communicate.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 02:28 PM   #151
JaysonGoh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarekelsakka View Post
Pretty sure it's normal if it has a red dot before you install it. If you flash everything properly once it's installed, the red dot should disappear, all the modules should have a very similar average mileage when they communicate.
Thanks for your clarification
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 08:18 AM   #152
vooheese
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F20-120i

Quote:
You will need to read svt, save it, delete bkombi from it, write it to car vcm, read ecu after that and you will see kombi.
Hi Larry,

I am driving a 5 doors F20 LCI with basic cluster. I wired the most (data fiber) already from the Head unit to digital cluster.

Now I have the same problem here. I installed the digital cluster and add 6WA in the FA (VO), but I can only find Bkombi in SVT. No other kombi whatsoever in ECU. All read in coding page.

So I delete the Bkombi in SVT by SVT editor and read the edited version in VCM page first and then in coding page, read the ECU but still no KOMBI can be seen.

I found my I- level has never been updated since the car was produced in 2016. But the I-level in the ESYS is quite new, like F020- 22-11-510. Would it be the problem?

if any other experts know what's going on, really need some help here.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 09:28 AM   #153
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Did you write the modified SVT to the VCM?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 11:43 PM   #154
vooheese
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F20-120i

Quote:
I understand what you are saying Shawn, but on my F30, reading ECU returned bkombi even with new cluster mounted. I don't understand why, but after deleting bkombi from SVT and reading ECU after that, reading returned corect kombi.
Hi Larry, I have the exactly problem by not finding KOMBI, but after deleting BKOMBI, Kombi still not showed up.

After changing the following FDL, it worked.

I solved this problem by changing number 1 and number 3 value. After that, the error messages were displaying on the head unit screen. Then I know those two starts to talk. I didn't find number to item in Bimmercode so I do nothing to it.

1.EXTERNER_MOST --> aktiv
2.EXTERNE_MOST_DIAG --> aktiv
3.KOMBI_CIC --> kombi_High

Then I can find the KOMBI in ECU and coded it with injected CAFD.
Appreciate 0