F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > Hump day turned to bump day
GetBMWParts

06-02-2021, 09:49 AM   #1
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435x MSport

Garage List
Hump day turned to bump day

Grr...

Sitting in a Cumberland parkinglot drinking a coffee while i wait for some work on my house to be completed....

Guy decides he wants to back into the spot next to me.... He miscalculated how to count spots I guess..

Luckily the damage isn't that bad, and here in CT police don't do any investigation or blame report when the accident is on private property, but it's pretty clear what happened.

I let my insurance know, sent them all his paperwork, now waiting to see where i can drop off and how soon.

This might be a silly question, but is this one of those cases where I ask my insurance to go after diminished value?
Attached Images

06-02-2021, 10:03 AM   #2
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paimon.soror View Post
This might be a silly question, but is this one of those cases where I ask my insurance to go after diminished value?
Yes.
Appreciate 1
cdwalls701.00
      06-02-2021, 10:29 AM   #3
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
Ah damn, that sucks. People that drive around with a trailer hitch and no trailer make me nervous for that exact reason.

You can go for the diminished value, with these cars it honestly is, but I doubt you'll get it. The damage looks to be just the bumper cover and other detachable, easily replaced parts. It'll still likely detract from your future trade in/sale value somewhat, but DV cases typically require proof of some kind of irreparable or permanent damage, like a bent frame that can be repaired but will never be as strong as it once was. Best of luck anyway, though.

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 10:49 AM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Does your car have M Performance (or aftermarket) diffuser and M Performance exhaust? Hopefully, your policy covers these parts in case damage is discovered during the teardown inspection.

PS. These low speed encounters are frustrating to no end. Glad no one was hurt. The bumper replacement / new paint will be probably around $2.0 - 2.5K.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 10:55 AM   #5
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnf30x View Post
Ah damn, that sucks. People that drive around with a trailer hitch and no trailer make me nervous for that exact reason.

You can go for the diminished value, with these cars it honestly is, but I doubt you'll get it. The damage looks to be just the bumper cover and other detachable, easily replaced parts. It'll still likely detract from your future trade in/sale value somewhat, but DV cases typically require proof of some kind of irreparable or permanent damage, like a bent frame that can be repaired but will never be as strong as it once was. Best of luck anyway, though.
Thanks, yea you are spot on, i took a look, honestly the bumper took the brunt of the damage. Crash bar has a minor scuff, luckily the trailer hitch contact was all it was. Diffuser has a few broken clips and a crack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Does your car have M Performance (or aftermarket) diffuser and M Performance exhaust? Hopefully, your policy covers these parts in case damage is discovered during the teardown inspection.

PS. These low speed encounters are frustrating to no end. Glad no one was hurt. The bumper replacement / new paint will be probably around $2.0 - 2.5K.
So - my insurance has an "aftermarket part" policy. The exhaust is remus (no damage luckily) and the diffuser is aftermarket. The interesting thing is I wonder how "Their" insurance will handle that. I guess since i do have it covered under "my" policy, "my" insurance should go after the coverage regardless.
      06-02-2021, 07:59 PM   #6
tootthekazoo
Rep
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3

With diminished value you typically won't have any chance of that from your own insurance company, though if the other party is insured then you absolutely are entitled to that as part of the overall claim settlement. I run a body shop so this question comes up pretty often in my day-to-day, though different states have different rules about a lot of this stuff. Best of luck with repairs!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 07:14 PM   #7
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
^^ Great info thanks!

So fortunately or unfortunately, this is my first accident in a long time. Previously I had Statefarm and I remember that my insurance essentially took care of everything (i.e. drop the car off at a local shop, my insurance adjuster comes out, and then goes after the other insured)

This time around i have progressive. I originally opened a claim through my insurance, but today the claim rep called me and told me it would be better for me to go through the other guy's insurance and file a claim. I obliged, but then i got to thinking "dont i pay insurance to represent me..."/"what if the guys adjuster doesn't properly assess the damage"/"how long am i sitting here waiting for their adjuster to come out".

Seems bizarre that my insurance pointed me away...
      06-04-2021, 01:06 PM   #8
tootthekazoo
Rep
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paimon.soror View Post
^^ Great info thanks!

So fortunately or unfortunately, this is my first accident in a long time. Previously I had Statefarm and I remember that my insurance essentially took care of everything (i.e. drop the car off at a local shop, my insurance adjuster comes out, and then goes after the other insured)

This time around i have progressive. I originally opened a claim through my insurance, but today the claim rep called me and told me it would be better for me to go through the other guy's insurance and file a claim. I obliged, but then i got to thinking "dont i pay insurance to represent me..."/"what if the guys adjuster doesn't properly assess the damage"/"how long am i sitting here waiting for their adjuster to come out".

Seems bizarre that my insurance pointed me away...
Better to go through the other carrier. That way you receive a rental for as long as the repair takes, don't have to pay your deductible, and will see no increase to your premiums. Even if you aren't at fault, if your company has to do anything on your behalf then you are SOL with regards to everything I listed above.

Since it was just a parking lot thing there isn't really much to be disputed for the repairs, so there isn't much for your own company to "represent" you for. PM me if you have any other questions. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 05:46 PM   #9
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootthekazoo View Post
Better to go through the other carrier. That way you receive a rental for as long as the repair takes, don't have to pay your deductible, and will see no increase to your premiums. Even if you aren't at fault, if your company has to do anything on your behalf then you are SOL with regards to everything I listed above.

Since it was just a parking lot thing there isn't really much to be disputed for the repairs, so there isn't much for your own company to "represent" you for. PM me if you have any other questions. Good luck!
Thanks for the information! Makes total sense.
      06-08-2021, 01:14 PM   #10
The Ru
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i xDrive Cp MSport

sucks man. Good luck with the fix
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 04:17 PM   #11
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

Interesting. I had something similar when a lady hit me from behind. Affected just the rear bumper cover and popped the parking sensor. Allstate let me file a claim and they worked with the other insurer to get it fixed.

Basically, Allstate let me get the car fixed ASAP and they in turn pass the bill to the other insurer.

The only downer about this route was I paid a deductible ($250) and my own rental car cost.
(Yes, stupid but you live and learn).

In hindsight, I agree with your insurance agent, deal with the OTHER insurance company so they pay everything and you avoid costs out of pocket. It'll probably take a little more time though.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 05:00 PM   #12
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by exE36M3 View Post
Interesting. I had something similar when a lady hit me from behind. Affected just the rear bumper cover and popped the parking sensor. Allstate let me file a claim and they worked with the other insurer to get it fixed.

Basically, Allstate let me get the car fixed ASAP and they in turn pass the bill to the other insurer.

The only downer about this route was I paid a deductible ($250) and my own rental car cost.
(Yes, stupid but you live and learn).

In hindsight, I agree with your insurance agent, deal with the OTHER insurance company so they pay everything and you avoid costs out of pocket. It'll probably take a little more time though.
Yup. It's Tuesday and still nothing yet . Talked to their insurance yesterday and they mentioned that they were still trying to get in contact with their insured. I'm going to be calling again tomorrow. The interesting thing was that their insurance agent did say that this should be a open and shut case which was really surprising for him to admit that. Oh well we'll see what happens.
Appreciate 1
exE36M3487.50
      06-09-2021, 11:27 AM   #13
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

Yep... there's a reason why insurance costs what it does.
There's at least a half dozen people in the middle.

The good news - from your photos - your car is at least drivable and there's no frame damage.

The rear bumper on my car had me down a little less than a week.
So dropped car off with body shop on a Monday and had car back by Friday.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 01:53 PM   #14
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just spoke to their insurance again. They are still unable to make contact with their driver. WTF.

And i guess AAA (their insurance) has 30 days to establish contact
      06-09-2021, 02:11 PM   #15
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
That doesn't look that bad at all. Just need a new bumper and diffuser.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 02:18 PM   #16
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
That doesn't look that bad at all. Just need a new bumper and diffuser.
Agreed, honestly, im even sitting here like "i should just order a painted bumper and new diffuser to fix it, and cash out the insurance claim to recoup". Of course at this rate, they will be one of those insurance companies that will force you to get a 'certified repair'
      06-09-2021, 03:43 PM   #17
cdwalls
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32

def go for diminished value. get your car appraised at carmax after the damage is fixed and use that new estimate of your car vs. kbb or what you paid if you bought recently. They'll hopefully give you the difference or more, just be persistent and keep pushing them, they'll give it to you. I did this and got a nice chunk.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 01:52 AM   #18
anago
Rep
Drives: BMW 540ix G31

Aw man, at least it is not that bad. Push for the insurance for sure.
Appreciate 0