F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Cost to fix/replace fiber optic cable for MOST cable behind head unit
Extreme Powerhouse

06-13-2021, 10:58 PM   #1
SMFD21
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xDrive

Cost to fix/replace fiber optic cable for MOST cable behind head unit

I recently installed a road top MMI box but I pulled with force on the fiber connection before I pulled it out. I'm scared I broke it but I will check on it again in a few days- fingers crossed the cable just came out of the connector a little. I have no service info, trip computer, chime, or time in iDrive

However, has anyone replaced/fixed this cable before? Is this something the dealers do? Can my local euro shop help me?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 07:44 AM   #2
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMFD21 View Post
I recently installed a road top MMI box but I pulled with force on the fiber connection before I pulled it out. I'm scared I broke it but I will check on it again in a few days- fingers crossed the cable just came out of the connector a little. I have no service info, trip computer, chime, or time in iDrive

However, has anyone replaced/fixed this cable before? Is this something the dealers do? Can my local euro shop help me?

Thanks.
Assuming you still hear sound, you should have Hi-Fi and not Harman Kardon so you can just buy an aftermarket most cable on Amazon and just run it from the NBT head unit straight to the instrument cluster and you should be good to go.

A 2015 328i without Harman Kardon should only have most running between the HU and Instrument cluster.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 09:16 AM   #3
SMFD21
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
Quote:

Thanks.
Assuming you still hear sound, you should have Hi-Fi and not Harman Kardon so you can just buy an aftermarket most cable on Amazon and just run it from the NBT head unit straight to the instrument cluster and you should be good to go.

A 2015 328i without Harman Kardon should only have most running between the HU and Instrument cluster.
Perfect. So I have HiFi and still
hear sound. All I have to do is drop the gauge cluster, remove the most and replace the wire with a new one that goes straight to the same place in the quad lock?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 09:54 AM   #4
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
hear sound. All I have to do is drop the gauge cluster, remove the most and replace the wire with a new one that goes straight to the same place in the quad lock?

Yep, easy fix!

No problem
Appreciate 1
SMFD218.50
      06-14-2021, 09:55 AM   #5
SMFD21
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
Quote:

Yep, easy fix!

No problem
Thanks a ton for your help!!
Appreciate 0