F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30, N20 Drivetrain Malfunction Help wanted
proTUNING Freaks

04-16-2023, 07:26 PM   #1
withinoz
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i XDrive, GMW E46 357i

Exclamation F30, N20 Drivetrain Malfunction Help wanted

I bought a 2013 BMW 328i XDRIVE (auto) with a broken timing chain guide assembly, not running- with the intent of repairing it fast. I have performed involved mechanic work over the years including N54 complete head replacement, Timing etc. I have owned 7 BMWS and perform all my own maintenance and repairs.

After reassembly, the car starts and idles smoothly. Even revs nice and smooth. However, I have DRIVETRAIN MALFUNCTION in iDrive and the following CEL codes: P052B, P054B, P1338, P1339, P0055, C342D. Vehicle is in Limp Mode.

Upon receiving these codes, I replaced the Camshaft position pulse sensors, VANOS Solenoid actuators, and re-checked/cleaned all electrical connections. No change.

I went ahead and pulled the valve cover off to make sure I did in fact time it all correctly. After spinning the motor over to TDC, I installed all the TDC/Timing tools (flexplate pin, flexplate fork, camshaft timing tool and VANOS timing tool). They all lined up perfectly without any issue. Since I already had the valve cover off, I pulled the Central Valves (VANOS/Cam gear bolts) and cleaned them thoroughly with parts cleaner (just in case). I pressed the plunger and shot cleaner into all the holes as well. Reassembled, and... No change.

At this point I suspect the DME. But I can't find any solid info out there about a computer failure giving these exact codes.

If anyone has any ideas, I welcome them.
*I even scheduled an appointment at a shop but after talking with the technician, he decided that I did everything right, and believes I am capable so he told me he would rather not waste my money. Because after researching my errors, he would have done all of the exact same things.

Parts list, and service performed with the project:
BMW genuine Timing Chain Replacement Kit (included guides, chain, sprocket, new Oil pump drive assembly, and hardware for guide reassembly, harmonic bolt etc.)
After removing the oil pan, I also removed the oil pump pickup tube and cleaned the screen thoroughly, removed all old timing chain guide plastic from the pan and from head. cleaned the pan and intake tube with parts cleaner.

New spark plugs
VAL Full synthetic 0w-40 motor oil and WIX filter
New serpentine drive belt
New oil pan gasket
New valve cover gaskets

Last edited by withinoz; 04-17-2023 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 06:58 AM   #2
withinoz
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i XDrive, GMW E46 357i

UPDATE RESOLVED: my timing was off. The camshafts were both slightly forward from the rest of the system. It now runs flawlessly.
Appreciate 0