F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 - how to deactivate all traction control and still have sport throttle response?
proTUNING Freaks

07-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
Jeff J
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 X5M, '18 M2, '09 135i

F30 - how to deactivate all traction control and still have sport throttle response?

Subject pretty much says it. On my F30 335i 6mt MSport, I find that Sport and Sport+ have "sport" suspension and drivetrain settings. But if I select all traction control off (by holding the DTC button for 5 seconds), the car keeps "sport" suspension, but goes back to the soft "comfort" throttle response. The text on the display screen suggests that this is the case, and my right foot agrees.

What do I have to do to keep the sharper throttle response with no traction control active?

This isn't something I want to do every day, of course. But I do prefer the sharper throttle response, particularly when I've elected to drive aggressively enough to want all of the electronics switched off.

Sorry if this has been answered before, but a quick search here and in the manual didn't give the the answers I was looking for.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
Subject pretty much says it. On my F30 335i 6mt MSport, I find that Sport and Sport+ have "sport" suspension and drivetrain settings. But if I select all traction control off (by holding the DTC button for 5 seconds), the car keeps "sport" suspension, but goes back to the soft "comfort" throttle response. The text on the display screen suggests that this is the case, and my right foot agrees.

What do I have to do to keep the sharper throttle response with no traction control active?

This isn't something I want to do every day, of course. But I do prefer the sharper throttle response, particularly when I've elected to drive aggressively enough to want all of the electronics switched off.

Sorry if this has been answered before, but a quick search here and in the manual didn't give the the answers I was looking for.
Don't think there is an option, certainly not from the modes settings. Using Sport + or just a quick press of the DTC/DSC button will hold the sport settings. Not sure anyone has coded it to stay in sport either, unless just recently.

In my 5-series, even the active suspension goes back to 'normal' setting, if you switch the DSC off completely. BMW don't want to lose us over the hedge.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
SergioK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

If you really push the car at higher speeds you do NOT want the absurdly twitchy throttle response of Sport/+.

BMW knows that 99.9% of F30 drivers do not have the talent to drive this car without DSC and the twitchy throttle. That's why they added that feature (Sport throttle mapping). Makes normal folk think their car is 'fast' when it really is just software programming.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Bimmerfestool
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

If the sport throttle mode is really just a throttle mapping feature, and does not offer faster acceleration over comfort throttle, Sergio is correct that you're actually better off with the linear throttle response of comfort throttle. This will allow a full range of throttle response possibilities that are useful at the track. You usually don't corner at WOT... And the sport throttle offers pretty much an all or nothing throttle response... Not the best when you're trying to modulate your throttle.

But I agree that BMW should let you select whatever option combo you like and if you crash as a result... Though luck but this is not BMW's business.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
SergioK
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The engine generates the same HP in all modes, even Eco Pro.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
Jeff J
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I know the various modes are just throttle mapping and the power output is the same regardless.

If it helps, here's where I'm coming from: the "Sport" throttle mapping makes the throttle respond very much the same as our N54 powered 135i (which has no modes, other than the DTC / DSC button). That car admittedly does have rather all-or-nothing response, but my wife and I are both used to it and able to modulate it just fine. The F30's comfort throttle mode may be more linear, but the pedal travel is so long compared to other vehicles we've had lately, that it just ends up seeming sluggish and overdamped. On regular days commuting, this is just fine, and exactly what the doctor ordered (heck, the suspension stays in Comfort a lot of the time too!). But when it's time to have a little more fun, I was hoping for the option to pick the setting combination I wanted. I know firsthand that Audi lets you pick combinations like this, so I just assumed it was universal.

I've had plenty of very capable cars over the years with far worse manners at the limit than this F30, so I know what can happen if you get stupid with a car. And with performance driving schools and track time under my belt, I feel reasonably comfortable with my ability to keep the car more or less where I want it to be, and I know when the right and wrong times to explore those limits are.

Mostly, I just figured that BMW would offer a "full sport / no electronic nannies" setting. If they don't, that's fine, and we'll learn to adjust to the way this car works. I know BMW made this choice for liability reasons more than anything, and I can respect that.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 01:10 AM   #7
SergioK
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I hear ya but honestly the 'sport' mode is just a marketing gimmick, DHP not included. Just push a lil harder with your right foot.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
Balzz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F97 X3M

Garage List
2019 M4  [0.00]
2021 X3M  [0.00]
Discovered a work around. Not recommended for grocery runs however.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=30
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
Jeff J
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzz View Post
Discovered a work around. Not recommended for grocery runs however.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=30
Heh. Definitely won't be doing that!

Much appreciate the discussion guys - thanks. Now I know for sure how the car's intended to work, and now I can work on driving it the way it is instead of looking for ways to change it. All part of the fun.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #10
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

I believe it's not just step vs linear throttle response. Even if I kick and floor the gas pedal very quickly, sport/sport+ mode and dsc off/comfort mode give difference response. Moreover what I like about sport+ mode is the abrupt feeling of deceleration when I let the gas off on high rpm like 6k. When the sport+ mode cuts down power when i wanna push more on a steep turn, it drives me nuts. It's certainly less safe for high speed circuiting, but having sport+ response on dsc off mode is very desirable for low-mid speed fun on corners such as drifting or sliding.
Maybe there is a way to turn off DSC for all driving mode via coding?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 10:59 PM   #11
pohlease
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 Sport

I believe if you push your shift lever over as if you are going to shift for yourself but don't actually shift the car does sport shifting. I would assume you could then deactivate the traction control. Don't quote me on this because it's been a long time since I've done it and I don't feel like going out to text the theory right now.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:23 AM   #12
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK View Post
If you really push the car at higher speeds you do NOT want the absurdly twitchy throttle response of Sport/+.

BMW knows that 99.9% of F30 drivers do not have the talent to drive this car without DSC and the twitchy throttle. That's why they added that feature (Sport throttle mapping). Makes normal folk think their car is 'fast' when it really is just software programming.
LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #13
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by godnamnit View Post
I believe it's not just step vs linear throttle response. Even if I kick and floor the gas pedal very quickly, sport/sport+ mode and dsc off/comfort mode give difference response. Moreover what I like about sport+ mode is the abrupt feeling of deceleration when I let the gas off on high rpm like 6k.
I'm with you on this... The Sport/+ throttle is mapped more aggressively, but it is also more responsive. It's the responsiveness that makes me want to use this mode.
And while I agree that an absurdly twitchy throttle would be a bad thing, I don't find my MPPK Sport/+ throttle mapping to be overly sensitive. I haven't had any problems modulating it to my satisfaction.
      02-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #14
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
I'm with you on this... The Sport/+ throttle is mapped more aggressively, but it is also more responsive. It's the responsiveness that makes me want to use this mode.
And while I agree that an absurdly twitchy throttle would be a bad thing, I don't find my MPPK Sport/+ throttle mapping to be overly sensitive. I haven't had any problems modulating it to my satisfaction.
Idk what the issue is with just using sport+...The throttle is great, the exhaust is great, and I have x drive, and can drift the shit out of this car without turning it all off. I would say the best part about comfort(with DHP) is the steering. It is much more active in this mode then s+ in my experiences.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #15
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by btbossman View Post
Idk what the issue is with just using sport+...The throttle is great, the exhaust is great, and I have x drive, and can drift the shit out of this car without turning it all off. I would say the best part about comfort(with DHP) is the steering. It is much more active in this mode then s+ in my experiences.
Sport+ is different with xDrive... the threshold for the ECU pulling engine power is much higher than RWD since it will can redistribute power to the alternate axle. xDrive will also apply ABS to the slipping wheel within a given axle (which is basically what an eLSD does on a RWD car), but this is far less noticeable than when the ECU pulls power.
      02-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #16
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
Sport+ is different with xDrive... the threshold for the ECU pulling engine power is much higher than RWD since it will can redistribute power to the alternate axle. xDrive will also apply ABS to the slipping wheel within a given axle (which is basically what an eLSD does on a RWD car), but this is far less noticeable than when the ECU pulls power.
Sounds about right, I really love this car i n xdrive this time around.
Appreciate 0