F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2017 340ix Knocking Noise When Gas Tank is Below 1/4 Full
ARMA SPEED

07-25-2021, 06:27 PM   #67
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340ix ///M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by erawamai View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc888 View Post
I'm so sorry for the late reply. I've sold my 340ix and have not been here much lately. For those who are wondering, here is a reference back to the software fix. After my firmware flash, the noise was gone for good!

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25802420
It looks like they have not solved this in the G20 because that is the EXACT NOISE my 330i makes. FFS

Oh wow. I can't believe BMW still has this issue. How can they have not fixed this in testing especially given it was such a well known issue in the F30s? Unbelievable!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 07:41 PM   #68
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

Quote:
Oh wow. I can't believe BMW still has this issue. How can they have not fixed this in testing especially given it was such a well known issue in the F30s? Unbelievable!
I've been trying to figure out what this is for the last 2 weeks. I initially thought it was exhaust related but last night (before I found this thread) I thought it might have been fuel tank related because I could feel a vibration on the fuel filter cap that was only there when it was making the noise.

Makes some level of sense. Now the fun of trying to get it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 07:54 PM   #69
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I've been trying to figure out what this is for the last 2 weeks. I initially thought it was exhaust related but last night (before I found this thread) I thought it might have been fuel tank related because I could feel a vibration on the fuel filter cap that was only there when it was making the noise.

Makes some level of sense. Now the fun of trying to get it fixed.
The master tech at my dealership told me from the get-go that BMW knew about this issue and that it was strictly related to the emissions control module. That's at least the root cause for the F30s. They simply don't prioritize the issue enough as it doesn't affect the drivability of the car. You simply have to push this to a higher chain of command to get somebody to make it a priority.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 06:25 PM   #70
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
The master tech at my dealership told me from the get-go that BMW knew about this issue and that it was strictly related to the emissions control module. That's at least the root cause for the F30s. They simply don't prioritize the issue enough as it doesn't affect the drivability of the car. You simply have to push this to a higher chain of command to get somebody to make it a priority.
Dealer had a look while in service.

Could not replicate sound, however reprogrammed the modules with the latest i step.

Seemed to be good for the first 30km but I heard it again after filling up but only very briefly.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 11:08 PM   #71
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Could not replicate sound, however reprogrammed the modules with the latest i step.

Seemed to be good for the first 30km but I heard it again after filling up but only very briefly.
Anyways - the noise is definitely still there and I could not be fked trying to press the issue with the dealer again. Pretty disappointing end. I've never had a car with so many small/annoying issues like this.

I guess that's it. I've had enough. Once COVID lockdown ends it has to go.

Cant wait to try out the following.

Alfa Romeo Giulia
Lexus IS350
Audi A4.
Audi Q5.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 01:38 PM   #72
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Anyways - the noise is definitely still there and I could not be fked trying to press the issue with the dealer again. Pretty disappointing end. I've never had a car with so many small/annoying issues like this.

Alfa Romeo Giulia
Lexus IS350
Audi A4.
Audi Q5.
Quote:
Quote:

Alfa Romeo Giulia
Lexus IS350
Audi A4.
Audi Q5.
Sorry for the late reply. I've sold my 340i and don't check in that often anymore. Wow! I'm shocked it didn't work. The updated firmware fixed my thumping noise completely. It was annoying as hell for the time I experienced it and it made the car feel like a econobox for 30 years ago. Please keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 05:18 PM   #73
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Isn't the REAL fix just to put gas in your tank?

You bought a BMW, but you cannot keep it filled at a reasonable level that doesn't mess up the fuel pump?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 07:59 PM   #74
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply. I've sold my 340i and don't check in that often anymore. Wow! I'm shocked it didn't work. The updated firmware fixed my thumping noise completely. It was annoying as hell for the time I experienced it and it made the car feel like a econobox for 30 years ago. Please keep us posted.
So dealer looks like they will follow the SIB for the F30 which is to investigate the fuel pump next after the software did not do anything.

I wonder if it is a malfunctioning fuel tank vent valve in the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 02:28 PM   #75
2017F30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 330iX AT

Have an appt on Monday at the dealer. Going to mention the TIS with a copy in hand to the service advisor and go from there. Have extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 11:57 PM   #76
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So dealer looks like they will follow the SIB for the F30 which is to investigate the fuel pump next after the software did not do anything.

I wonder if it is a malfunctioning fuel tank vent valve in the engine bay.
It has everything to do with the how the fuel tank is vented. That's the exact language my service foreman used. He said that the software is supposed to change how the system "pulses" the venting to eliminate the noise.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 11:58 PM   #77
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017F30 View Post
Have an appt on Monday at the dealer. Going to mention the TIS with a copy in hand to the service advisor and go from there. Have extended warranty.
Good luck! Keep us posted. You should be able to get them to do the SIB even without the extended warranty. It's an old and well known issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 05:11 PM   #78
2017F30
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Good luck! Keep us posted. You should be able to get them to do the SIB even without the extended warranty. It's an old and well known issue.
Canadian dealers aren’t as eager as US dealers to follow up on SIBs - goodwill or otherwise. Glad to have printed out the SIB because the service advisor was quick to quote 2 hours labor to update the I-Level. Advised I have extended warranty and to refer to the SIB and any questions should be directed to corporate. The service advisor indicated he would need to phone in for approval and I agreed before leaving. Returned later in the day and the advisor indicated head office approved the update which I was pleased to hear. When I arrived in the morning the service advisor synched the key data which I asked him to print which confirmed I-Level F020-18-03-530 so after the car was washed and keys returned I asked for a repeat and the key data indicted I-Level F020-21-03-545. Listened for the noise on the drive home but nothing heard; however, will keep monitoring just to be safe. Otherwise appreciate this useful thread!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 05:27 PM   #79
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Canadian dealers aren’t as eager as US dealers to follow up on SIBs - goodwill or otherwise. Glad to have printed out the SIB because the service advisor was quick to quote 2 hours labor to update the I-Level. Advised I have extended warranty and to refer to the SIB and any questions should be directed to corporate. The service advisor indicated he would need to phone in for approval and I agreed before leaving. Returned later in the day and the advisor indicated head office approved the update which I was pleased to hear. When I arrived in the morning the service advisor synched the key data which I asked him to print which confirmed I-Level F020-18-03-530 so after the car was washed and keys returned I asked for a repeat and the key data indicted I-Level F020-21-03-545. Listened for the noise on the drive home but nothing heard; however, will keep monitoring just to be safe. Otherwise appreciate this useful thread!
Quote:
Quote:
Canadian dealers aren't as eager as US dealers to follow up on SIBs - goodwill or otherwise. Glad to have printed out the SIB because the service advisor was quick to quote 2 hours labor to update the I-Level. Advised I have extended warranty and to refer to the SIB and any questions should be directed to corporate. The service advisor indicated he would need to phone in for approval and I agreed before leaving. Returned later in the day and the advisor indicated head office approved the update which I was pleased to hear. When I arrived in the morning the service advisor synched the key data which I asked him to print which confirmed I-Level F020-18-03-530 so after the car was washed and keys returned I asked for a repeat and the key data indicted I-Level F020-21-03-545. Listened for the noise on the drive home but nothing heard; however, will keep monitoring just to be safe. Otherwise appreciate this useful thread!
That's terrific news and I'm glad to hear that BMW took care of you. My dealer has always been quite helpful but that may be due to the fact I bought 2 cars from them. The firmware flash should rectify your issue although some others have not been so fortunate. I hope your car stays fixed.

I started this thread because the gas tank noise was completely unacceptable in a car this expensive. It's a FLAW and BMW knows it as the SIB clearly notes the root cause and fix. It's not about whether I'm too lazy to add gas when the tank reaches 1/4. None of my other vehicles have ever had such a disturbing noise. I'm glad others benefit from this thread. I no longer own the car but will reply if people have questions or concerns.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 10:49 AM   #80
2017F30
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That's terrific news and I'm glad to hear that BMW took care of you. My dealer has always been quite helpful but that may be due to the fact I bought 2 cars from them. The firmware flash should rectify your issue although some others have not been so fortunate. I hope your car stays fixed.

I started this thread because the gas tank noise was completely unacceptable in a car this expensive. It's a FLAW and BMW knows it as the SIB clearly notes the root cause and fix. It's not about whether I'm too lazy to add gas when the tank reaches 1/4. None of my other vehicles have ever had such a disturbing noise. I'm glad others benefit from this thread. I no longer own the car but will reply if people have questions or concerns.
Absolutely appreciate that you started this thread so you have my thanks. Nothing heard this morning however I’ve noticed other improvements thanks to the update: stiffer steering wheel input, lower revs on start up before settling, transmission shift points are smoother. My vehicle was by no means abused prior but can’t help notice the differences. I suppose there’s a benefit to updating later?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 06:50 PM   #81
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

By way of update - they did an I level update on my car.

Filled up and ran it down to 1/4. Noise still very present, so I shot off another email to the dealer with detailed notes. They thanked me for the detailed notes and they would consult BMW technical. Been a week and I have not heard back. Will follow up soon.

I filled it back up for a second time and this time at 1/4 tank the noise was not as bad. The noise seemed to be shorter in length going away sooner rather than just helicoptering constantly. Maybe its the warmer weather or maybe its the software update? Not sure, but will keep monitoring.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 12:39 PM   #82
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Filled up and ran it down to 1/4. Noise still very present, so I shot off another email to the dealer with detailed notes. They thanked me for the detailed notes and they would consult BMW technical. Been a week and I have not heard back. Will follow up soon.

I filled it back up for a second time and this time at 1/4 tank the noise was not as bad. The noise seemed to be shorter in length going away sooner rather than just helicoptering constantly. Maybe its the warmer weather or maybe its the software update? Not sure, but will keep monitoring.
I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you like it did for several members here and myself. I wonder if it is because of different hardware that BMW uses at different points of production that can lead to the firmware not fixing the noise for you. I hope BMW gets back to you and has a new fix because I am sure there are plenty of folks out there who want to get rid of the exact same noise as you where the original software flash have failed.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 12:40 PM   #83
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

That's great to hear! You've killed multiple birds with one stone and I guess it does pay to procrastinate a little bit. I'm not on top of how BMW updates the software for the cars but it appears that several accumulated software updates were implemented on your car along with the noise fix. I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your vehicle again like I did when my car was fixed.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 11:43 AM   #84
Santi
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i xDrive F30 N20

i started noticing the same 'helicopter' noise and glad i found this thread.

but, mine isn't as loud as the vids posted here, and it's mostly audible inside the car. you could hear it better in the rear left passenger area, closer to the center island/console.

i just started noticing it, it might have been there before but just didn't realize it. no relation to fuel level, since i've heard it at full tank, and most recently at 75% and 50% level.

2014 f30 328ix 80k km, so no more warranty. "we will need to diagnose it" is prolly what i'll get once i bring it to the shop, and i'm trying to get more info before that.

i've captured a sound only vid for now and i'll try to get more and post them on youtube.

Last edited by Santi; 11-13-2021 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 03:17 PM   #85
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santi View Post
i started noticing the same 'helicopter' noise and glad i found this thread.

but, mine isn't as loud as the vids posted here, and it's mostly audible inside the car. you could hear it better in the rear left passenger area, closer to the center island/console.

i just started noticing it, it might have been there before but just didn't realize it. no relation to fuel level, since i've heard it at full tank, and most recently at 75% and 50% level.

2014 f30 328ix 80k km, so no more warranty. "we will need to diagnose it" is prolly what i'll get once i bring it to the shop, and i'm trying to get more info before that.

i've captured a sound only vid for now and i'll try to get more and post them on youtube.
Good luck - my detailed email has gone without answer from BMW despite a follow up.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 11:37 AM   #86
Santi
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i xDrive F30 N20

so my options are:
1) software flush
2) change fuel pump

and since warranty is done, this'll be out of pocket. i guess indy specialized mech is my next best option.

what's the long term effect? if it is in fact the fuel pump vent on my car. hopefully it's not something else :|
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 02:30 PM   #87
2017F30
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santi View Post
so my options are:
1) software flush
2) change fuel pump

and since warranty is done, this'll be out of pocket. i guess indy specialized mech is my next best option.

what's the long term effect? if it is in fact the fuel pump vent on my car. hopefully it's not something else :|
I would say start with the I-Level update. The dealer will charge 2 hours labour. As per your previous post I also only heard the noise inside the cabin and it wasn’t as loud as others. If the noise doesn’t bother you just turn up the volume.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 09:31 PM   #88
MEN54
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330 xi

I had same knocking noise on my 2017 330xi when fuel tank is half or less, I tried Liqui Moly Fuel System cleaner one bottle and did some highway runs, so far noise is gone, you want to try that.
Appreciate 0