F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Hard acceleration stutter - 2015 335xi MT
Extreme Powerhouse

08-24-2021, 03:40 PM   #23
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbullfan View Post

My symptoms were still there with x-Delete. My mechanic told me that the clutches inside the transfer case still bind and will have the same behavior. I just picked up a new transfer case and am getting it installed on Thursday. will update if my issues is gone.
My symptoms went away with xDelete which makes me think I probably have some mild wear on the output shaft and/or flange. Your issue might be far more serious than mine if you're hearing metallic noises and the symptoms persist even after disabling xDrive.
      08-25-2021, 09:31 AM   #24
redbullfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 TR X3MC

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
My symptoms went away with xDelete which makes me think I probably have some mild wear on the output shaft and/or flange. Your issue might be far more serious than mine if you're hearing metallic noises and the symptoms persist even after disabling xDrive.
Considering you have a 328D I would look into taking your car into the dealer since I'm pretty sure theres an open recall for the transfer case

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 10:04 AM   #25
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Considering you have a 328D I would look into taking your car into the dealer since I'm pretty sure theres an open recall for the transfer case
Already did last year and the car checked out, but that was before the symptoms appeared. They're not bad enough to replicate regularly yet so I'm waiting till they're worse to go back again. I'm out of warranty and don't want to show up and pay a $165 diagnostic fee just for them to tell me they didn't notice any issues.
      08-25-2021, 01:21 PM   #26
redbullfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 TR X3MC

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
Already did last year and the car checked out, but that was before the symptoms appeared. They're not bad enough to replicate regularly yet so I'm waiting till they're worse to go back again. I'm out of warranty and don't want to show up and pay a $165 diagnostic fee just for them to tell me they didn't notice any issues.
If it's not happening that often, the cheapest thing to do first is changing the fluid and see if that helps.

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 06:01 PM   #27
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If it's not happening that often, the cheapest thing to do first is changing the fluid and see if that helps.
Changed the fluid, flex disc, and output flange about 17k miles ago. Probably bought me some time but still feels like I'm driving a ticking time bomb. Once symptoms become more frequent I'll take it in.
      10-16-2021, 02:34 PM   #28
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Update: changed the transfer case fluid (again) at 70k, and did the rear diff fluid, transmission fluid/filter, and accessory belt and tensioner while I was at it. The car feels much smoother now. The transfer case stutter is still there occasionally (only when I'm WOT above 60mph) however It's much more subdued and it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. Definitely a large and noticeable improvement. Hopefully, I can just keep doing a fluid change every 2 years and never have to actually address it.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2021, 11:54 PM   #29
SoCalM235iR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235iR

To the OP. I had multiple coils fail from about 30K on and they didn't always have catastrophic failures that threw codes.

At least two times I had issues only under hard acceleration and full boost, but no codes. It took as much as a full month later for a fault that produced a code. Replaced that coil and the problem you describe went away until the next coil failure. I replaced them all and that situation hasn't occurred.

With a stock tune the peak boost might occur in that range you're having the problem.

Not suggesting shotgun repairs but coil failure is very common.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2021, 02:53 AM   #30
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalE90 View Post
To the OP. I had multiple coils fail from about 30K on and they didn't always have catastrophic failures that threw codes.

At least two times I had issues only under hard acceleration and full boost, but no codes. It took as much as a full month later for a fault that produced a code. Replaced that coil and the problem you describe went away until the next coil failure. I replaced them all and that situation hasn't occurred.

With a stock tune the peak boost might occur in that range you're having the problem.

Not suggesting shotgun repairs but coil failure is very common.
+1 to this as I had a coil pack that was causing issues under hard acceleration also. I had done the plugs recently and knew it wasn't the problem and it rang to me that I never did coils on the car ever and she's now sitting with 82k miles (surprised I made it this far without noticing it along the way). After changing all six, the car hauls ass again and makes me smile a little more.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 08:41 PM   #31
bryannichelson
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I have the same stutter issue on hard acceleration. Only when I get aggressive with the throttle. 2015 6 speed, intake, charge pipe, intercooler, muffler delete. Replaced plugs and it got better. Found a missing bolt on charge pipe sensor and replaced it and again made it better but still stutters when I get hard on the throttle but 2nd gear is the least affected. I'm going to keep looking for boost leaks but at a loss of the main issue. please help.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 04:47 PM   #32
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryannichelson View Post
I have the same stutter issue on hard acceleration. Only when I get aggressive with the throttle. 2015 6 speed, intake, charge pipe, intercooler, muffler delete. Replaced plugs and it got better. Found a missing bolt on charge pipe sensor and replaced it and again made it better but still stutters when I get hard on the throttle but 2nd gear is the least affected. I'm going to keep looking for boost leaks but at a loss of the main issue. please help.
Pressure/smoke test and post logs
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 01:48 PM   #33
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryannichelson View Post
Post a log, could be clutch slipping (super common issue with tuned 6mt n55)
      11-08-2022, 04:19 PM   #34
cup4leafs
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Did anyoen get a resolution to this?

I see this issue on all of the forums and I'm having the same issue.

I have replaced the plugs and coils and ran a smoke test and fixed two leaks I found.

I suspect that its either fuel pressure or an injector but before I start going down the expensive path of replacing injectors or high pressure fuel pump I wanted to see if anyone had any success with other updates.

My car:
2011 335xi
m-sport
6MT
MHD
Updated cp, intake, dp, dinen coils, plugs, GFB DV
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 06:00 PM   #35
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup4leafs View Post
Did anyoen get a resolution to this?

I see this issue on all of the forums and I'm having the same issue.

I have replaced the plugs and coils and ran a smoke test and fixed two leaks I found.

I suspect that its either fuel pressure or an injector but before I start going down the expensive path of replacing injectors or high pressure fuel pump I wanted to see if anyone had any success with other updates.

My car:
2011 335xi
m-sport
6MT
MHD
Updated cp, intake, dp, dinen coils, plugs, GFB DV
Scan for codes and post datalog(s). Fuel issue would definitely show up in a log. Clutch slip usually does too if its significant at all. Also what intake?
Appreciate 0