F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > H&R Sport + Bilstein B8 Mini Review
proTUNING Freaks

11-28-2013, 05:27 AM   #45
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
The differences between these and the coilover version is the height adjustability. My car is fixed based on the H&R spring.
How much more is the coil over kit?
I think it's $400 more. To some the height adjustability may be worth it, but for me it isn't based on previous experiences. I have never adjusted the height on coilover kits in the past once initially set, and I like the H&R drop; I wouldn't want to be any lower nor any higher.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 02:18 AM   #46
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is (#5 of 586)

Do you know if the MPS springs are progressive or linear? With the H&R springs, they give a variable rate (as they should), but what is(are) the number(s) for the MPS springs?

Great review, SedanClan. Very informative and detailed. And pricing on the complete setup is definitely in the Blistein/H&R corner.

It would be ideal if you could somehow get your hands on a MPS equipped car and offer your review on it as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 06:35 AM   #47
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab_rat
Do you know if the MPS springs are progressive or linear? With the H&R springs, they give a variable rate (as they should), but what is(are) the number(s) for the MPS springs?

Great review, SedanClan. Very informative and detailed. And pricing on the complete setup is definitely in the Blistein/H&R corner.

It would be ideal if you could somehow get your hands on a MPS equipped car and offer your review on it as well.
I think the MPS springs are progressive too, but maybe one of the guys with MPS can comment. I'd love to put one through the paces.

Last night I performed a number of power oversteer rear wheel drifts while in Sport+. FUN! Very predictable and poised.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #48
SD_E88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' 135i E88 Black

Quote:
On to the review....

Most of you were already aware that I was running the H&R Sport springs with the OEM M-Sport shocks for the last month or so. While that particular combination works, it wasn't an ideal set-up for me based the type of suspension feel/feedback that I prefer (..stiffly sprung, stiffly dampened, etc.). This led to conversations with Rich over at GTB about upgrading to the Bilstein B8 suspension. With a bit of coordinating between the two of us, a Group Buy was presented to the forum and I promptly placed my order. The suspension arrived promptly, and I wasted no time making an appointment to have the suspension installed. As I made my way to EAS in Anaheim, California, I paid particular attention to every nuanced response that the H&R/M-Sport combo provided. I drove with the radio off the entire trip, and had decided to take the same back roads to and from so that I could objectively assess the differences.

After the install was completed, one thing stood out to me almost immediately: the car sat a tad higher - maybe 3 to 5mm - in the front with the Bilsteins compared to the M-Sport struts. This may be due to where the perch is on the Bilstein strut relative to the M-Sport strut, or it could be due to the stiffer dampening (..I didn't think to do a side-by-side comparison prior to the struts being installed). The minor height increase didn't bother me, but it was worth noting for the purposes of this review. The stance of the car is still visually appealing.

edit:

I did perform a quick Google search about the minor increase in ride height, and it seems that people who have installed Koni's and Bilsteins have noted this (...I knew I wasn't crazy!!! ). It was also noted that the struts/shocks did settle a bit and the ride height was reduced.

After the install was complete, I was eager to hit the road and assess my car's improved handling abilities. What I noticed immediately was the feedback. I can now feel EXACTLY what the road beneath me is doing, and the suspension is communicating the road surface/texture differences very clearly. With those attributes comes a bit more road noise, but I don't mind that at all. In fact I prefer it. Lateral body roll and forward/rearward pitch [during shifting] is nearly non-existent (..and I can finally put those adjustable side bolsters to use; up until today I really didn't need them). This is the feel/feedback that I've been longing for.

Turn-in feels accurate and confidence inspiring, and I can more accurately gauge the performance of my tires. I used a cloverleaf freeway entrance to test the lateral feedback of the suspension and the tires, and I now feel like my tires are the limiting factor (..and it is also easier to interpret/understand what the tires are doing with the Bilsteins). The suspension was up to the task while I felt the tires were on the cusp of breaking loose into a [controlled] power oversteer. I will test this again on my local "proving grounds" in the next few days.

Another minor issue that was completely eradicated by the Bilsteins were the rare occurrences of rubbing caused by my aggressive rear wheel offsets. Although the rubbing only occurred on the most egregious of bumps (..due to the M-Sport shocks bottoming out), it would still make me cringe a bit each time it happened. I had previously attributed the rubbing to the mismatched suspension components, and I was right. When I tested the suspension this evening on those unruly road undulations, the car didn't skip a beat. I made two passes.....increasing my speed as much as 20mph faster than my usual travel speeds, and the car just stormed through like a champ as though the undulations didn't even exist. Well done 335i....well done!

Overall, I believe this kit is the best "bang-for-the-buck" for those that don't need height adjustability, and who are looking for a drop beyond that which the OEM M-Sport suspension provides. The M-Sport suspension is already very good from the factory, it just leaves more to be desired if you plan to add a spring that provides an aggressive drop like the H&R's do. If you decide to opt for the Bilstein/H&R combo, do yourself a favor and have the H&R's installed at the same time that you have the B8's installed to save on labor costs. I could've saved $250 by doing this the first time around, but to my defense, the stellar Group Buy wasn't presented until a month after I had installed the H&R's (..and I really hadn't put too much thought into the B8's prior to that). All this combination needs now is a set of sway bars to pair with it. Rich.....let's get it going!

Lastly, this set-up will make you want to drive (..much the same as a good coilover set-up). The car is significantly much better behaved around corners and through transitional movements, and it will beg you to test its newfound limits.
Excellent review Sedan... This truly is a best bang for your buck set up and ride height is really ideal for a daily driver. I was so disappointed with how soft and over-compliant the sport suspension was to begin with. Having installed B8s and H&R sports on a 328 as opposed to your 335 I definitely noticed your front end sits a few mm lower than mine. I'm sure that has something to do with the heavier motor. Initially I was thinking I should have gone with the super sports but after it settled I know that would have been a little too low for a daily driver.

After putting a couple thousand miles on the new setup I can affirm... This setup makes you want to drive!!! My gas mileage has gone down so much since the upgrade! I just can't keep my foot out of it!

Ride is by no means bumpy or harsh, it truly is just right. There are so many places on my commute where bumps were so much more exaggerated by the old suspension. The new setup absorbs and moves on... No fuss. And I couldn't agree more on the feedback. The steering wheel is so much more alive and I feel like I know what all four corners are up to when I'm pushing it. Yes. There is a little more road noise. Yes there is a little more vibration. No, it does not bother me in the slightest. A drive in my wife's VW GLI reminds me just how quiet the 328 is.

I'm still just so disappointed in BMW for not making a setup like this standard in the sport model. Leave the cushy crap to the "luxury" line.

Every time I walk out to my car I am completely satisfied with the look and every corner I take tells me "you made the right choice!!!"
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #49
SD_E88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' 135i E88 Black

Just a quick pic from today...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #50
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_F30 View Post
Excellent review Sedan... This truly is a best bang for your buck set up and ride height is really ideal for a daily driver. I was so disappointed with how soft and over-compliant the sport suspension was to begin with. Having installed B8s and H&R sports on a 328 as opposed to your 335 I definitely noticed your front end sits a few mm lower than mine. I'm sure that has something to do with the heavier motor. Initially I was thinking I should have gone with the super sports but after it settled I know that would have been a little too low for a daily driver.

After putting a couple thousand miles on the new setup I can affirm... This setup makes you want to drive!!! My gas mileage has gone down so much since the upgrade! I just can't keep my foot out of it!

Ride is by no means bumpy or harsh, it truly is just right. There are so many places on my commute where bumps were so much more exaggerated by the old suspension. The new setup absorbs and moves on... No fuss. And I couldn't agree more on the feedback. The steering wheel is so much more alive and I feel like I know what all four corners are up to when I'm pushing it. Yes. There is a little more road noise. Yes there is a little more vibration. No, it does not bother me in the slightest. A drive in my wife's VW GLI reminds me just how quiet the 328 is.

I'm still just so disappointed in BMW for not making a setup like this standard in the sport model. Leave the cushy crap to the "luxury" line.

Every time I walk out to my car I am completely satisfied with the look and every corner I take tells me "you made the right choice!!!"

I'm with you 100%. My gas mileage has gone down.............I'm inducing power-oversteer all over my city.........and know that I'll need to replace my tires much sooner than I anticipated. This set-up really is THAT GOOD!

P.S. Your car looks good man!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #51
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_F30 View Post
Just a quick pic from today...
Looks perfect! I think this thread has sealed the deal for me.

Thanks for sharing! Please Keep us updated periodically!

Steve
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #52
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm with you 100%. My gas mileage has gone down.............I'm inducing power-oversteer all over my city.........and know that I'll need to replace my tires much sooner than I anticipated. This set-up really is THAT GOOD!

P.S. Your car looks good man!
Sedan Clan, your ongoing review has been an immense help! This setup seems like its a no-brainer. I will be ordering my set very soon.

Keep us posted!

Steve
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 03:08 AM   #53
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

You're not rubbing on this setup? Why? What kind of alignment did you do?

I'm rubbing with a 245/35/20 and on dinan springs.
      01-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #54
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip
You're not rubbing on this setup? Why? What kind of alignment did you do?

I'm rubbing with a 245/35/20 and on dinan springs.
Could be the difference in tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 11:27 AM   #55
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

Quote:
Could be the difference in tires.
you may be right.
      01-24-2014, 09:42 PM   #56
CK335iMSport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
It has been approximately 7 hours since my new H&R Sport/Bilstein B8 suspension set-up was installed at EAS, so I decided to post a mini-review regarding my initial impressions of the upgrade. Due to the fact that it has been raining here in Southern California, I have yet to fully put the car through the paces, so I will likely add to this review over the next few days as the weather clears up.

On to the review....

Most of you were already aware that I was running the H&R Sport springs with the OEM M-Sport shocks for the last month or so. While that particular combination works, it wasn't an ideal set-up for me based the type of suspension feel/feedback that I prefer (..stiffly sprung, stiffly dampened, etc.). This led to conversations with Rich over at GTB about upgrading to the Bilstein B8 suspension. With a bit of coordinating between the two of us, a Group Buy was presented to the forum and I promptly placed my order. The suspension arrived promptly, and I wasted no time making an appointment to have the suspension installed. As I made my way to EAS in Anaheim, California, I paid particular attention to every nuanced response that the H&R/M-Sport combo provided. I drove with the radio off the entire trip, and had decided to take the same back roads to and from so that I could objectively assess the differences.

After the install was completed, one thing stood out to me almost immediately: the car sat a tad higher - maybe 3 to 5mm - in the front with the Bilsteins compared to the M-Sport struts. This may be due to where the perch is on the Bilstein strut relative to the M-Sport strut, or it could be due to the stiffer dampening (..I didn't think to do a side-by-side comparison prior to the struts being installed). The minor height increase didn't bother me, but it was worth noting for the purposes of this review. The stance of the car is still visually appealing.

edit:

I did perform a quick Google search about the minor increase in ride height, and it seems that people who have installed Koni's and Bilsteins have noted this (...I knew I wasn't crazy!!! ). It was also noted that the struts/shocks did settle a bit and the ride height was reduced.

After the install was complete, I was eager to hit the road and assess my car's improved handling abilities. What I noticed immediately was the feedback. I can now feel EXACTLY what the road beneath me is doing, and the suspension is communicating the road surface/texture differences very clearly. With those attributes comes a bit more road noise, but I don't mind that at all. In fact I prefer it. Lateral body roll and forward/rearward pitch [during shifting] is nearly non-existent (..and I can finally put those adjustable side bolsters to use; up until today I really didn't need them). This is the feel/feedback that I've been longing for.

Turn-in feels accurate and confidence inspiring, and I can more accurately gauge the performance of my tires. I used a cloverleaf freeway entrance to test the lateral feedback of the suspension and the tires, and I now feel like my tires are the limiting factor (..and it is also easier to interpret/understand what the tires are doing with the Bilsteins). The suspension was up to the task while I felt the tires were on the cusp of breaking loose into a [controlled] power oversteer. I will test this again on my local "proving grounds" in the next few days.

Another minor issue that was completely eradicated by the Bilsteins were the rare occurrences of rubbing caused by my aggressive rear wheel offsets. Although the rubbing only occurred on the most egregious of bumps (..due to the M-Sport shocks bottoming out), it would still make me cringe a bit each time it happened. I had previously attributed the rubbing to the mismatched suspension components, and I was right. When I tested the suspension this evening on those unruly road undulations, the car didn't skip a beat. I made two passes.....increasing my speed as much as 20mph faster than my usual travel speeds, and the car just stormed through like a champ as though the undulations didn't even exist. Well done 335i....well done!

Overall, I believe this kit is the best "bang-for-the-buck" for those that don't need height adjustability, and who are looking for a drop beyond that which the OEM M-Sport suspension provides. The M-Sport suspension is already very good from the factory, it just leaves more to be desired if you plan to add a spring that provides an aggressive drop like the H&R's do. If you decide to opt for the Bilstein/H&R combo, do yourself a favor and have the H&R's installed at the same time that you have the B8's installed to save on labor costs. I could've saved $250 by doing this the first time around, but to my defense, the stellar Group Buy wasn't presented until a month after I had installed the H&R's (..and I really hadn't put too much thought into the B8's prior to that). All this combination needs now is a set of sway bars to pair with it. Rich.....let's get it going!

Lastly, this set-up will make you want to drive (..much the same as a good coilover set-up). The car is significantly much better behaved around corners and through transitional movements, and it will beg you to test its newfound limits.
Sedan_Clan, couldn't agree more. This is a great setup, I had it installed last weekend along with some new rims/tires and couldn't be happier. Link below to a couple of pics of my car as it sits now.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936713
2014 335i M Sport - Mineral Grey/Coral Red, Nav., Premium, HK, MPE, 8AT. Mods: Macht Schnell Spacers (12mm-front, 15mm-rear) with 403M's, Bilstein B8 Struts/H&R Sport Spring combo, M-Performance black kidney grilles, IND Distribution color-matched reflector inserts and key hole cover.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 10:04 PM   #57
E90Boy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F33

What's the price on these?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 11:08 PM   #58
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Boy
What's the price on these?
A lil over $700 via the Group Buy!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 05:15 AM   #59
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

I installed the combination in baseline with 235/45r17 Michelin PSS. These tires are about one inch smaller in diameter, so there's more space under the fender. Also, the car is a half inch lower due to smaller diameter of tires.

It's fascinating to see how much instant information I was not getting when i was floating around with the old "boat." I love this new established connection between my butt and the road, but it could be tiring in case of long driving on a bumpy road.

What i really love is its night and day performance improvement. Body roll is mostly eliminated in all four ways. Also, I could go much faster on the canyon roads with tires not even squealing (so much improvement in grip at corners!), while the old boat with stock shocks would be already on the other side of the road at the speed.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 08:05 AM   #60
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by godnamnit
I installed the combination in baseline with 235/45r17 Michelin PSS. These tires are about one inch smaller in diameter, so there's more space under the fender. Also, the car is a half inch lower due to smaller diameter of tires.

It's fascinating to see how much instant information I was not getting when i was floating around with the old "boat." I love this new established connection between my butt and the road, but it could be tiring in case of long driving on a bumpy road.

What i really love is its night and day performance improvement. Body roll is mostly eliminated in all four ways. Also, I could go much faster on the canyon roads with tires not even squealing (so much improvement in grip at corners!), while the old boat with stock shocks would be already on the other side of the road at the speed.

Your car looks good. Thanks for the mini write-up.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 12:14 AM   #61
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

Quote:
Your car looks good. Thanks for the mini write-up.
Thanks! I wrote it here to honor you and the other predecessor's reviews which were very helpful. Like your car, getting 19" wheels will complete desired look as well. With these shocks, it's great to have an option to switch to H&R super sport springs if needed.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 01:27 PM   #62
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by godnamnit View Post
Thanks! I wrote it here to honor you and the other predecessor's reviews which were very helpful. Like your car, getting 19" wheels will complete desired look as well. With these shocks, it's great to have an option to switch to H&R super sport springs if needed.
It was greatly appreciated. I can't wait to see your car with the new wheels. make sure to post pics.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #63
overkill1125
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 440xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Does it crash or hit the bump stops on big dips. Biggest problem I have with H&R with stock strut is the front would bottom out big time on big dips/uneven roads. Potholes are to be avoided but if I do hit one it hits hard due to the soft struts.

Contemplating in getting the Bilstein Sport to match the H&R Sport but want to make sure that after the change the car will be able to handle the bad roads.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 11:07 AM   #64
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkill1125
Does it crash or hit the bump stops on big dips. Biggest problem I have with H&R with stock strut is the front would bottom out big time on big dips/uneven roads. Potholes are to be avoided but if I do hit one it hits hard due to the soft struts.

Contemplating in getting the Bilstein Sport to match the H&R Sport but want to make sure that after the change the car will be able to handle the bad roads.
No. It actually rides extremely well. You'll be quite happy with the set-up.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 11:26 AM   #65
djpeetur
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

I have sports + b8. Still thought it was to soft. Coming from 135i kw SC with m3 sway. My 135i handle 10x better. I'm adding m3 Front control arm and front strut bar this week. Hopefully the car is more planted. If not. Sway bar for front and back. And this is coming from 135i. B8 shocks helps front from crashing but I still think it's to soft. Maybe I should have gone coilover route. But I hate adjusting the ride height. It's annoying.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 05:12 PM   #66
overkill1125
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 440xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeetur View Post
I have sports + b8. Still thought it was to soft. Coming from 135i kw SC with m3 sway. My 135i handle 10x better. I'm adding m3 Front control arm and front strut bar this week. Hopefully the car is more planted. If not. Sway bar for front and back. And this is coming from 135i. B8 shocks helps front from crashing but I still think it's to soft. Maybe I should have gone coilover route. But I hate adjusting the ride height. It's annoying.
Too soft in terms of handling or still too soft and will crash and bottom out on bumps or very uneven roads?
Appreciate 0