F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Am I the only person...
GetBMWParts

06-06-2021, 05:52 PM   #23
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareWheels View Post
Who bought a BMW new, and never applied an mods?

I got my first BMW in 2019, a 440 convertible.
Yes on both accounts!!!

BMW are meant to be bought used (huge savings) and modded. If not you are doing it wrong.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2021, 05:57 PM   #24
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
My current BMW is the 3rd one, a G20, bought with 10 miles@ delivery(5 miles@ rolling off truck).

The previous 2 were E39 and F30, both went stock from acquiring(also 10 miles@ delivery, 5 miles@ rolling off truck) to selling(@100k and @80k) with zero mods.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 06:00 PM   #25
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
BMW are meant to be bought used (huge savings) and modded. If not you are doing it wrong.
BMW are meant to be driven stock per BMW engineer's original specs from day one with 5-10 miles to 100k-200k miles.

The mods should really be done at time of custom order/purchase@15-20% off MSRP.

My opinion of course.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2021, 04:03 PM   #26
M Smurf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Very little for me. Changed out the chrome for black grill. Tried out an aftermarket exhaust that lasted for 1 week. Dont know what I was thinking. IT came with an Injen intake that never left the box before reselling. While I enjoy this car immensely there are plenty of other things that provide more enjoyment that cost far less.
      06-07-2021, 04:31 PM   #27
gbca2000
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

Cosmetic mods only here.
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8243.00
      06-07-2021, 05:09 PM   #28
Chaos236
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne , 640 GC

Try a strut tower brace, you will love it.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 10:07 PM   #29
alex0607
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 & E60

I never bought a BMW new but I probably won't do much mods seeing how expensive the car is already and I am just adding more cost to the car unnecessarily. But I have bought 5 BMW used over the years and I have mod them cosmetically and performance wise. I guess its less painful seeing you are buying the car at a cheaper cost. As an example, I bought a Kia Sorento new for my wife to use. Up until today 5 years on I still have not decided to upgrade the wheel to 20" or 22". Been wanting to do it but can't pull the trigger.
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8243.00
      06-08-2021, 06:00 AM   #30
tvf30
Rep
Drives: F30

I always decide that I will apply the mods which I really like and then I check the tutorials and I feel that it is too difficult to me....so my BMW is still stock
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8243.00
      06-08-2021, 07:17 AM   #31
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

I have this constant urge to mod and customise my cars..... BUT, there are rules:

-I only do things properly or I don't do them at all. Don't like cheap mods and cheap rice/ebay tuning. I only use high-quality parts, preferably OEM.

- "Mods" do by far not mean "performance mods", even less "engine-mods".
My Audi for example has a looooong list of modifications like retrofitted navigation system, bluetooth audio, rear-view camera, Speech Dialogue System, complete Audio system upgrade, sound proofing, flat-bottom steering wheel, internal lighting package, extended footwell lights, modified seat-heating performance, etc., etc., etc. - all done mostly with original Audi components (partially intended for other Audi models, e.g. Rear-view camera control module from Audi R8).
And there is not a single mod to the engine! (Except a short-shifter, but that's on the gearbox)

So, please, don't associate "mods" with engine mods only! The engine is only half of the car. The other half needs attention too!
      06-10-2021, 07:14 AM   #32
uunothere
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i

I have a 2018 440i I purchased as it came off lease. It had no mods, but was well equipped with the MSport package. My “mods” if you call them that, were to replace the worn out run-flat tires with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and get an inflation kit, tint the windows to protect the interior from the hot Texas sun and add a set of floor mats. Not too different from what I have done to the family Subaru or my wife’s VW. Protection of an expensive purchase is more akin to what I have done.

As someone previously noted, wear items will be upgraded in the near future - shocks, brake rotors and pads. There I will splurge with some Koni Active shocks, stainless brake lines, slotted rotors and Hawk pads. Not OEM, but that happens.

Where I am on the fence is any sort of performance upgrade. I am still considering the MPPSK or alternative. Time will tell.
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8243.00
      06-10-2021, 09:01 AM   #33
INROADRACR
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i, 6MT, RWD

Garage List
2017 BMW 340i  [9.50]
A few months ago I purchased a low mileage 2017 340i. It was pretty much loaded with the M-Sport and Track handling packages. I went the 'safe' route and got the dealer-installed LSD (since I've got a MT) and the MPPSK. The dealer I purchased the car from (not a CPO) had replaced the RFTs with Kumho Ecsta's - should I be ashamed by admitting that I really like these Kumho's and the cost is significantly less than the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's everyone is in love with?

I also added PPF to the front of the car. That probably doesn't count as a mod, but I really like this car and want to maintain it for a long, long time.

No plans on doing any additional engine tuning beyond the MPPSK. I don't mean to offend anybody, but as I've read through countless pages on this site and others, there appears to be a very high correlation between tuning and engine failure. For my purpose, this car is outrageously fun to drive and I'm content with it.

So what do you say, is my car basically 'stock', or does the $8K I've put into it since purchase (LSD, MPPSK, PPF) put me out of that category?
aardate193.50
Billfitz8243.00
      06-10-2021, 09:51 PM   #34
quakerroatmeal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 430i Grand Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by INROADRACR View Post
A few months ago I purchased a low mileage 2017 340i. It was pretty much loaded with the M-Sport and Track handling packages. I went the 'safe' route and got the dealer-installed LSD (since I've got a MT) and the MPPSK. The dealer I purchased the car from (not a CPO) had replaced the RFTs with Kumho Ecsta's - should I be ashamed by admitting that I really like these Kumho's and the cost is significantly less than the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's everyone is in love with?

I also added PPF to the front of the car. That probably doesn't count as a mod, but I really like this car and want to maintain it for a long, long time.

No plans on doing any additional engine tuning beyond the MPPSK. I don't mean to offend anybody, but as I've read through countless pages on this site and others, there appears to be a very high correlation between tuning and engine failure. For my purpose, this car is outrageously fun to drive and I'm content with it.

So what do you say, is my car basically 'stock', or does the $8K I've put into it since purchase (LSD, MPPSK, PPF) put me out of that category?
It pretty much counts as modding the vehicle still in my eyes.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 11:41 PM   #35
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:

I got my first BMW in 2019, a 440 convertible.

Car guys have been modding cars since the beginning. But, you are not alone. I get why people do it but its not for me personally. I'd rather buy right with the options I want and then leave it alone. My only mod to my 2014 328i with M-sport and DHP was Dinan Shockware because the stock adaptive suspension setting was horrible. I've owned BMWs since 1988 and that's my only mod.

I know I can make the car cooler looking and add torque and horsepower, but mine is plenty fast enough the way it is.

So, if keeping it stock is your thing, you have company. Its your car, do what you like!
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8243.00
      06-11-2021, 01:32 AM   #36
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
So, if keeping it stock is your thing, you have company. Its your car, do what you like!
A car appears to be fashion, looks, and utility all rolled into one, so if one enjoys mixing things up it will be all good.

At the same time, aftermarket mods that go beyond cosmetics tend to have side effects that vendors usually do not disclose/know, so at least stick to genuine parts that do not change the car's factory parameters too much.
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8243.00
      06-11-2021, 10:39 PM   #37
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal View Post
I wasn't saying all. Just majority on here will do some sort of mod even if it's a basic changing your grill to a black grill, coding your vehicle to different settings, or even applying factory items like m sports accessories. I don't think there's anything wrong if you prefer it completely stock though.
My car came from the factory with the black grill.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 09:57 AM   #38
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
Wrongo. No mods for me. As stated, I can skip those threads. There is a guy on another forum who wants to drop over $20k on mods on a car his parents gave him. He is still in college. I find that fascinating.
This reminds me of a Kies Motorsports video on youtube where Brian installs a new larger turbo, intake, exhaust, intercooler, suspension, and brakes on a brand new M4.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 10:08 AM   #39
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

If I wanted to spend $10k and 100 hours on mods to get a car that drives the way I want I'd have bought a Civic. If I wanted a track ready BMW I'd have bought an M. What my stock BMW can't do I don't need.
Appreciate 1
dmaxdmax417.00
      10-19-2021, 12:49 PM   #40
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
This reminds me of a Kies Motorsports video on youtube where Brian installs a new larger turbo, intake, exhaust, intercooler, suspension, and brakes on a brand new M4.
Back in dotcom days there were weekend meets where people tear down and reassemble brand new BMWs just for the heck of it.

These days I tend to think automakers esp. BMW puts lots of R&D money to find the right parameters per component, so swapping in piecemeal like what Brian did is not something I would consider.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 02:34 PM   #41
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
If I wanted to spend $10k and 100 hours on mods to get a car that drives the way I want I'd have bought a Civic. If I wanted a track ready BMW I'd have bought an M. What my stock BMW can't do I don't need.
With all due respect, the track nuts can and will confirm that even an M car can be made better on a track with certain mods, it all depends on what you're looking to achieve. Dinan has worked with BMW to make their own flavor off of a base BMW and supplies a warranty to go along with it.

I'm not in anyway saying everyone should catch the mod bug as leaving a vehicle stock will give you what you paid for. I'm addressing when you place a price and man working hours and suggest you should have bought another brand, I have a few friends of mine that have dumped in a lot more disposable than myself in their Civic Type-R and enjoy it on weekends at the track as they've spent time dialing it in to achieve better lap times.

I could easily go off and say taking a stock mclaren 720s and modding it with downpipes that would approach 10k is something I don't need but that is our own opinion as the shop owner that handles my F90 could off load his 720s for a decent home.

The people that mod at least for the performance are wanting to extract more from the car that comes from factory or the engineering that goes into these downpipes for example wouldn't be where they are today.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 04:47 PM   #42
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperfectluck View Post
With all due respect, the track nuts can and will confirm that even an M car can be made better on a track with certain mods, it all depends on what you're looking to achieve. Dinan has worked with BMW to make their own flavor off of a base BMW and supplies a warranty to go along with it.
A good friend went through modding several gens of M3's and eventually figured out the right mod for his M, namely, stock 911 GT3.

And he is not alone in this specific mod.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2021, 04:49 PM   #43
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

And let me guess - he modified his 911 too (or is about to)
      10-19-2021, 05:04 PM   #44
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

This touching video in German says it all…
That's simply the way we are and it's good the way it is…