F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 9.0 HU discussion
proTUNING Freaks

11-12-2019, 12:19 PM   #1079
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanderl View Post
Where i can get the newest updates for Android headunits? 🙈 have a avinusa Snapdragon 625 headunit
Someone did a reupload on mega.nz

but still better use the factory_config.xml from the original post.

Kri
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #1080
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaman5705 View Post
I have opened my Snapdragon unit, due to my problem (stuck at fastboot), in search for OTG resistor .
I have the unit with external box, from Andream . I am posting pictures of the board which is hosted by external box. Processor, auxiliaries and connections are in this box, display contains only LCD with touch and controllers .
If anyone wants more detailed pictures or is curious about something , I am ready to help , while the unit is on the table.
So far I could not identify any resistor marked as OTG . Only a strange golden one (marked as "b" or something , in red circle).
any chance to get sharp high resolution images of the board, and without the black stickers to trace the lines ?
edit: oh and i recommend to delete the IMEI and Serials from the unit

Kri
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 12:32 PM   #1081
Xanderl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
Someone did a reupload on mega.nz

but still better use the factory_config.xml from the original post.

Kri
I Downloaded it and i have 3.0.8 But why i only can change my theme to id5, id6 and id7 But Not 8? 🙈
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 12:47 PM   #1082
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanderl View Post
I Downloaded it and i have 3.0.8 But why i only can change my theme to id5, id6 and id7 But Not 8? 🙈
the GS UI is the newer one, if you only have 3 options than you haven`t used the factory_config.xml from the F30 post.

Kri
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 12:58 PM   #1083
Gabrielisimous
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 328i 2013, E46 325i 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
Quote:
Bluetooth does only work with Smartphones / Phone Music app, not other stuff.
If you want to use a ODB Dongle you need to user either a USB or Wirless LAN Interface.

Kri

That stinks but good to know, I just purchased a Veepeak OBD Dongle that looks like I wont be able to use it outside of Bimmercode & other apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielisimous View Post
I did the following

Go to "time" and put manually the time and date then check original time, after this go to "more settings" Date & Time (this is on Android kind of settings) set the correct time zone for your area (default it wills how "China")now your clock should be set and remembered each time your unit restarts
Cool thanks ill try this as well, I think I got the time to stick somehow but it keeps going to 24hr
Also in "more settings" uncheck 24hr and you will all set
      11-12-2019, 01:25 PM   #1084
Mjam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E87, i3, Taycan Cross Turismo

Quote:
does PDC not work at all, also no beeping ? or does it just show no picture / signal ?
Does it work when you are at the original Display screen?
PDC-ECU and the Button at the center console are not directly connected to CAN directly, and not to the HU directly.
Thanks for your response, Kri. No beep, no picture, no signal, not in Android nor OEM screen. PDC works on the OEM side when CAN cable is connected directly to the HU, and not to the Android unit at the same time, like this:

CAN 1 (goes to Android, normally connected from car via CAN B or C): Disconnected.
CAN 2 (goes from Android, normally connected to HU via CAN A): Disconnected.
CAN A (goes to HU): Connected to CAN B or CAN C (A and B are the same).

In this setup I can press the button at the center console, it lights up and beeps. It stops immediately if I now connect the free CAN C to CAN 1 (reconnecting Android), even if CAN (A+B) is still connected directly to HU.

Edit 1: If this has nothing to do with CAN, it might be working in this setup because Android is not powered without CAN connection. It works also when the main harness is disconncted from the Android unit, of course. Are there other cables I can disconnect from the harness to investigate further?

Edit 2: The green PDC light is powered in center console, but no beeps/sound if CAN is disconnected from HU in above setup (all CAN cables in harness are disconnected).

Last edited by Mjam; 11-12-2019 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 02:04 PM   #1085
marakeh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaman5705 View Post
I have opened my Snapdragon unit, due to my problem (stuck at fastboot), in search for OTG resistor .
I have the unit with external box, from Andream . I am posting pictures of the board which is hosted by external box. Processor, auxiliaries and connections are in this box, display contains only LCD with touch and controllers .
If anyone wants more detailed pictures or is curious about something , I am ready to help , while the unit is on the table.
So far I could not identify any resistor marked as OTG . Only a strange golden one (marked as "b" or something , in red circle).
remove the shielding

the android should be the green daughter board, post a high res picture from the green pcb
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 03:18 PM   #1086
Kuj0n
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI 320xdA B47

Is there any new info about auto brightness app?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 05:18 PM   #1087
machman767
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe111 View Post
I recently purchased the andriod screen from Avin and I have just completed the install. Everything seems to be working properly apart from the GPS.

The only problem I'm having is with the unit no being able to lock onto a satellite, so at the moment the navigation side of things is not working. I placed the GPS receiver on top on the glove box under the dash.

My car had the 6.5inch screen with no nav.

Any advise or tips from anyone?
Joe111, I placed the GPS receiver to the right hand side, under the dash, just beyond the right hand air vent, no issues getting a good lock on the satellites. On my previous car I really struggled, finished up with it at the bottom of the A pillar passenger side on top of the dash, tucked the cable in nice and tight, it never moved.
Mick
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 09:47 PM   #1088
seaman5705
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by marakeh View Post
remove the shielding

the android should be the green daughter board, post a high res picture from the green pcb
The shielding seems to be soldered . i don't have the skills, nor the tools to do that . I will see if an electronist friend can help .
Do you think that OTG resistor might be placed under the shielding ? At PX board this resistor is placed out of the shielding .
Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 12:01 AM   #1089
Svenson
Private
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

The shielding is plugged. Is like a lid.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 02:08 AM   #1090
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

I made pictures of the open MSM5983 board some time ago.
I uploaded it to github, you can check here , MSM5983_board_1.jpg and MSM5983_board_2.jpg.

@ Mirjam

I attached the pin assignment of the 8080 Harness i measured, maybe this will help you.
i wanted to do a better description of the harness but just don`t have the time to do.

Kri
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Android_8080_harness.pdf (263.9 KB, 1545 views)
Appreciate 1
Mjam133.50
      11-13-2019, 02:10 AM   #1091
XbimE84
Private
Rep
Drives: E84 Sdrive 2.0D

Hi, my supplier is saying the unit doesnt support OBD2 with bluetooth, but avinusa is selling this as accessory option? (app: torque).

any experiences?

update: nevermind, avin is selling WIFI OBD2
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 02:15 AM   #1092
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XbimE84 View Post
Hi, my supplier is saying the unit doesnt support OBD2 with bluetooth, but avinusa is selling this as accessory option? (app: torque).

any experiences?

Old Android 4.4.4 Units have normal bluetooth the BT dongle is only for this units.
With newer units you can only use a USB or WIFI Dongle.

Kri
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 02:24 AM   #1093
seaman5705
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenson View Post
The shielding is plugged. Is like a lid.
You were right . Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 01:06 PM   #1094
marakeh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D

nothing obvious to be spotted, grab a multi meter and probe the usb data lines (see post #1090 to figure out where they run through.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 09:12 PM   #1095
Davidschu
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i x-drive

Put in my avin 10.25" Android 9.0 screen in about a month ago. I immediately had a light static sound upon startup that would last around 10 seconds and then go away.

Occasionally I would get this weird sound through my speakers which has gotten worse overtime. It sounds like it goes through mainly the door speaker on the drivers side. The bass randomly gets very loud and shitty sounding. Even if I turn down the volume a lot the bass in songs is amplified a ton and sounds like crap. Whether I use car play or just the basic radio I still get the sound. However, it only happens occasionally and usually lasts around 5 minutes.

Is this likely a loose connections somewhere or could the harness they gave me be bad or something else? Other than that I've enjoined my new screen
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 03:33 AM   #1096
floc
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
maybe a good news. We didn't heard news for a while from Firefly1337 that was programming the iDrive listener, but tasker released a very promising update!

https://www.xda-developers.com/taske...on-automation/

example

with this kind of logcat detection I think we could detect the idrive input from every apps. I'll try as soon as possible
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 04:10 AM   #1097
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

Sorry for that.
I was actually about to release it on the weekend. I have a fully working version running on my unit for over a week now.
But, 2 things:

1) It is actually not that helpful, at least in the current state.
I made a very generic version, i.e. every input is the same in every app.

While this might be very helpful to scroll through list-like apps (e.g. Settings etc), it is not really helpful e.g. for Maps (where you want to zoom, not scroll).
Of course it is possible to cover each app individually, I made sure of that in my code. This requires extra effort though, therefore coming to point 2...

2) I decided to return my unit and won't be replacing it.
There are just too many issues and I only need/use Android Auto anyway, so it's not worth the hassle.
I ordered a dedicated AA/Carplay box from Andream and will give that a try.

I will release the source code with the app if someone wants to take over.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 04:39 AM   #1098
XbimE84
Private
Rep
Drives: E84 Sdrive 2.0D

Quote:
Old Android 4.4.4 Units have normal bluetooth the BT dongle is only for this units.
With newer units you can only use a USB or WIFI Dongle.

Kri
did anyone with 9.0 unit did this? wifi obd with app? thx
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 04:49 AM   #1099
daschacka
Private
Rep
Drives: M5Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly1337 View Post
Sorry for that.
I was actually about to release it on the weekend. I have a fully working version running on my unit for over a week now.
But, 2 things:

While this might be very helpful to scroll through list-like apps (e.g. Settings etc), it is not really helpful e.g. for Maps (where you want to zoom, not scroll).
Of course it is possible to cover each app individually, I made sure of that in my code. This requires extra effort though, therefore coming to point 2...

There are just too many issues and I only need/use Android Auto anyway, so it's not worth the hassle.

Hi Firefly1337,

i would love to look at the source code. Maybe you could upload it to Github or somewhere else?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 07:33 AM   #1100
floc
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly1337 View Post
Sorry for that.
But, 2 things:

no problem, it was just a detection not a criticism

sorry to read that you want to replace your unit but I feel the same. As a fact android auto will be sufficient for me as well, I din't found anything reliable yet, so please keep us informed about your android auto box when arrives Ill' give them a try when the will go wireless maybe (and yet can't figured out if they work as a proper wired androidauto or as mirrorlink of the androidauto app on the phone)
Appreciate 0