F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B58 Engine: please post your experience, including problems / resolutions
GetBMWParts

01-29-2020, 07:01 PM   #551
StannisBaratheon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Madgreek1 View Post
2016 340i 41k mi

Dinan intake, vrsf downpipe, remus catback exhaust, bm3 stage 2

Car went into limp mode on sunday, multi cylinder misfire. Flashed back to stock and took to dealership. After diagnosis, bmw states scoring on cylinder 6 walls. Engine replacement required. BMW denies warranty due to dme tampering.

Obviously I'm not about to fork over the $32k they quoted for engine replacement. What are my other options? Sleeves and forged pistons? Can I turn this into an opportunity to upgrade some stuff? I'm already waiting on a vtt gc turbo upgrade and have a supra pump ready to install. Thoughts?
That’s terrible, sorry to hear about that. Did they send you any pictures of the scoring? There have been a few cases of cylinder wall scoring but no solid answers on what caused it... Some speculate that it’s injector failure which washes down the cylinder walls. My guess is that the extra boost/fuel got the piston (and maybe wrist pin) too hot and the thermal expansion caused the small end of the rod to bind up making the skirts hit the wall. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Last edited by StannisBaratheon; 01-29-2020 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 07:25 PM   #552
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
2016 340i 41k mi

Car went into limp mode on sunday, multi cylinder misfire. Flashed back to stock and took to dealership. After diagnosis, bmw states scoring on cylinder 6 walls. Engine replacement required. BMW denies warranty due to dme tampering.

Obviously I'm not about to fork over the $32k they quoted for engine replacement. What are my other options? Sleeves and forged pistons? Can I turn this into an opportunity to upgrade some stuff? I'm already waiting on a vtt gc turbo upgrade and have a supra pump ready to install. Thoughts?
You can buy used motors for ~$4,800 or so online, which is not a bad price. Even with labor and new fluids, that's considerably cheaper than $32k from BMW lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 07:38 PM   #553
///Madgreek1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
You can buy used motors for ~$4,800 or so online, which is not a bad price. Even with labor and new fluids, that's considerably cheaper than $32k from BMW lol.
Ya, I'm trying to find the lowest mileage replacement I can. Curious.if the euro b58b30a fits my car the same as us spec. Theres some decent looking 5-7km engines in Germany and the uk. Any coding required on a motor swap? I would think my dme wouldn't notice that it was a change mechanically, just new sensors being read...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 09:17 PM   #554
les anderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Absolutely brutal. Best of luck

Any other symptoms before codes got thrown in hindsight? We're you bone stock before 38k?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 10:46 PM   #555
///Madgreek1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by les anderson View Post
Absolutely brutal. Best of luck

Any other symptoms before codes got thrown in hindsight? We're you bone stock before 38k?
Bought the car w/ 37k in October and quickly got the bug...started w/ intake and downpipe, then bm3, then exhaust, carbon everywhere... you know how it goes lol. The car ran like new all the way up until she didnt. The only code I ever pulled was a mass airflow code when I hadn't attached the intake boot completely and was sucking in un-metered air. A quick fix and a clear of the codes and no other issues along the way. I had been counting the days until my VTT GC turbo arrives so I could get that installed and get a custom Cary Jordan tune. I PLANNED on my trip to the dealership being to get a M Performance Diff, not to get told my warranty was void and I need a new motor... such is life though I suppose
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 11:59 PM   #556
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 340i MY2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by StannisBaratheon View Post
Took my 2016 340i with 50k miles in for low coolant and a rattling noise on cold start that goes away when the engine is warmed up. Rattle turned out to be the waste gate but not severe enough to warrant turbo replacement. BMW states the noise is normal... I’m not happy with that answer, has anyone else experienced this with the B58? I know this was a common problem on the N54.
can you post the sound please? i also have rattles but I suspect its just the exhaust flap
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 05:49 AM   #557
StannisBaratheon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzcast21 View Post
can you post the sound please? i also have rattles but I suspect its just the exhaust flap
It’s a metallic tapping/rattling on cold start. It happens after the car has sat over night but the sound is hard to pick up in a video. They were saying the waste gate isn’t sealing completely when it’s cold. It sounds like other people have had this issue and the dealer says that it’s normal... The sound usually goes away when it’s warmed up but not always.

Last edited by StannisBaratheon; 01-30-2020 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 07:59 AM   #558
les anderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Bought the car w/ 37k in October and quickly got the bug...started w/ intake and downpipe, then bm3, then exhaust, carbon everywhere... you know how it goes lol. The car ran like new all the way up until she didnt. The only code I ever pulled was a mass airflow code when I hadn't attached the intake boot completely and was sucking in un-metered air. A quick fix and a clear of the codes and no other issues along the way. I had been counting the days until my VTT GC turbo arrives so I could get that installed and get a custom Cary Jordan tune. I PLANNED on my trip to the dealership being to get a M Performance Diff, not to get told my warranty was void and I need a new motor... such is life though I suppose
Thanks. If you are up for it I have a few more questions! As been stated, this is somewhat a rare occurrence and there is not a ton of data so some information would be helpful.
  • Have you asked BMW for pictures of the cylinder walls?
  • Have you asked them what actually caused the failure?
  • Where you driving particularly hard when this happened?
  • Have you spoken to PTF? What have they said?
  • Had you recently run any logs?
  • When it was clear the issue was significant, was BMWNA already involved?
  • Have you considered appealing BMWNA's decision and asking for some sort of goodwill? Running a widely used tune for a few thousand miles seems convenient for them, and they are required by law to prove that the tune caused the failure from what I understand. Low odds, not much leverage but maybe worth a try???
  • Are you in a cold climate?
  • Do you know where the car lived prior to your purchase?

Again- best of luck to you and any info is appreciated!
Appreciate 1
Supr3me551.00
      01-30-2020, 09:41 AM   #559
kilogram
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive

Quote:
Thanks. If you are up for it I have a few more questions! As been stated, this is somewhat a rare occurrence and there is not a ton of data so some information would be helpful.
  • Have you considered appealing BMWNA's decision and asking for some sort of goodwill? Running a widely used tune for a few thousand miles seems convenient for them, and they are required by law to prove that the tune caused the failure from what I understand. Low odds, not much leverage but maybe worth a try???

It's worth noting to BMW that scored cylinder walls have been documented to happen on stock engines, usually coupled with a failed injector, which would indicate that the root cause is in their hardware, not in the software that was changed that is resulting in denial of warranty.
Appreciate 2
kern4174446.50
      01-30-2020, 10:43 AM   #560
vinzcast21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 340i MY2017

Quote:
Quote:
It’s a metallic tapping/rattling on cold start. It happens after the car has sat over night but the sound is hard to pick up in a video. They were saying the waste gate isn’t sealing completely when it’s cold. It sounds like other people have had this issue and the dealer says that it’s normal... The sound usually goes away when it’s warmed up but kit always.
did you isolate the noise to where the wastegate is? it seems normal to me too
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 11:13 AM   #561
StannisBaratheon
Private
Rep

Quote:
did you isolate the noise to where the wastegate is? it seems normal to me too
Tech findings:

"Minor play in wastegate arm, suspect wastegate seat is not fully seating.... took video of noise with second tech and submitted to tsara for turbo replacement... Instructed to remove wastegate linkage to check for binding and play in wastegate arm. Found no binding when moving wastegate arm from one end stop to the other. Felt some play in wastegate arm. Submitted video to tsara case of play in wastegate arm. Instructed there is not enough play in wastegate arm to replace turbo. Instructed to check wastegate flap to see if its sitting flush. Removed spark plug and inspected wastegate flap with bore scope. Wastegate flap is sitting flush. Instructed per tsara noise is normal operating noise and not enough evidence for turbo wastegate failure."

I'm going to keep an eye on it, I'm not convinced this sound is normal. The turbo on my old passat had wastegate rattle and was replaced... I just saw your thread on the cylinder wall scoring in your B58 - How's that going? Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 11:50 AM   #562
///Madgreek1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I have asked bmw for the detailed report/ photos/ email chain w/bmwna etc. My sa is going to get me as much as she can later today.

I have not yet contacted BMWna or ptf directly.

I was driving normally when the failure occurred, about 45mph uphill.

I do not have any recent logs.

I know there are other documented cases of cylinder scoring during to injector/ plug failure. Hoping to appeal to BMWna based on the fact it was no probable result of the software.

The car has lived its life in Wa.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:14 PM   #563
PURE340i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i & 2011 335d

Quote:
2016 340i 41k mi

I'm 100% sure the injector failed and scored up the wall. This is becoming a common issue on the B58 and they're just using the flash as a key to get out of the ticket to replace the engine. Try hiring a lemon Attorney so they can prove if the "tune" ruined the walls or not. Tune's don't just ruin injectors lol this has been a issue with BMW since the N54 days... non stop failing injectors.
Appreciate 2
kern4174446.50
      01-30-2020, 12:19 PM   #564
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

Quote:
It’s a metallic tapping/rattling on cold start. It happens after the car has sat over night but the sound is hard to pick up in a video. They were saying the waste gate isn’t sealing completely when it’s cold. It sounds like other people have had this issue and the dealer says that it’s normal... The sound usually goes away when it’s warmed up but not always.
I have the same, it only lasts a few seconds and only if its really cold through the night. Again told its normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilogram View Post
It's worth noting to BMW that scored cylinder walls have been documented to happen on stock engines, usually coupled with a failed injector, which would indicate that the root cause is in their hardware, not in the software that was changed that is resulting in denial of warranty.
Would BMW then not go on the defense saying that the software changed causing there hardware to fail as it was outwith its design range? (if it even is, with the increased injector duty?)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:45 PM   #565
///Madgreek1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrath View Post

Would BMW then not go on the defense saying that the software changed causing there hardware to fail as it was outwith its design range? (if it even is, with the increased injector duty?)
That's exactly what they will say, I just have to prove it is a hardware only issue and has happened exactly the same way in stock vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:48 PM   #566
les anderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sure- but now THEY are incurring cost/time and there are more likely to be economic considerations made in favor of the OP. Attorney's cost both sides money/resources- so OP should think it through but personally I think that the fact the car is tuned is VERY convenient for BMW and that it is as likely as not that the tune had nothing to do with this.

If it is me, I am not going silently on this and would start to make that fact clear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:49 PM   #567
les anderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURE340i View Post
I'm 100% sure the injector failed and scored up the wall. This is becoming a common issue on the B58 and they're just using the flash as a key to get out of the ticket to replace the engine. Try hiring a lemon Attorney so they can prove if the "tune" ruined the walls or not. Tune's don't just ruin injectors lol this has been a issue with BMW since the N54 days... non stop failing injectors.
Seems like around 40k miles is when it is happening too.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 01:16 PM   #568
kilogram
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive

Quote:
I'm sure that would be their reply, but it doesn't address the fact that the same failures have occurred regardless of the software the DME is running. They *should* have to prove the the software directly caused the engine failure, but we don't really live in that world I guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 03:43 AM   #569
Sgm123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

This has got me concerned about mapping now. Was going to press the button when the warranty runs out in a few months. May have to think twice.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #570
Farm Boy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i

Hi All

For info.
I’ve have a 440i with 13k on it.
It has been running “lumpy” at 1000 rpm with an apparent problem with no5 cylinder.
Garage cannot pinpoint the problem.
This week it is getting a new engine fitted.
It is a standard engine with no mods.

Regards.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 09:07 AM   #571
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm Boy View Post
Hi All

For info.
I’ve have a 440i with 13k on it.
It has been running “lumpy” at 1000 rpm with an apparent problem with no5 cylinder.
Garage cannot pinpoint the problem.
This week it is getting a new engine fitted.
It is a standard engine with no mods.

Regards.
Interesting dilemma. Thanks for sharing.

Is the garage a BMW dealer? What diagnostics did the garage perform?

No stored codes? Spark plugs OK? Compression test OK?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 09:14 AM   #572
Farm Boy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i

Hi
Yes Bmw Uk garage.
Injector replaced and spark plug.
Apart from that, I or they seem to be unable to cast any light on it.
It has been in the garage for 5 weeks.
I should get it back this weekend they think.
Can’t imagine a new engine will be cheap.
Hasn’t put me off the car.

Ps
I’m no engine expert.
Appreciate 0