F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B58 Engine: please post your experience, including problems / resolutions
GetBMWParts

08-29-2020, 09:16 AM   #639
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
The main reservoir cap was also replaced on my vehicle after white residue has been found under the cap.

I am more concerned about the issue reported by another forum member where coolant was slowly leaking through the turbo bearing.
Your service center should have performed a pressure test and detect any leakage in the turbo. My levels have held steady. I would not worry about turbo bearings unless the first 3 issues I listed are looked at first.
The pressure test was performed. No issues found. I should have mentioned that.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 09:48 AM   #640
StannisBaratheon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVlasy View Post
Do let us know about the noise on highway, I have the same issue.
Got the car back today. The coolant leak on the water pump was from the shaft behind the pulley. I was expecting the gasket between the pump and the block.

Howling tea kettle noise is still there. It has the be wind noise, it’s most obvious on deceleration from 50-40 mph, doesn’t matter what gear I’m in. I was thinking maybe it’s transmission or differential noise but it’s not constant and it makes an occasional chirping which makes me think it’s wind turbulence causing the howl. Maybe on the door seals? I’ve read about that before and the fix was adjusting the doors. Once it stops raining I’m going to put some painters tape over all the door seals and go for a drive to see if that makes the noise go away.

Anyway, happy that I got a new turbo and pump under warranty and even more happy to give back the 228i loaner.

New turbo part number: 11-65-9-423-787
New water pump part number: 11-51-8-632-585
Water pump gasket part number: 11-51-8-632-587

Last edited by StannisBaratheon; 08-29-2020 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 02:30 PM   #641
Uni-Rapide
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2019 F30 340i

2017 440i here. Had low coolant in my first year, don't remember exactly when. At the time my SA called me to check the coolant level and it was below minimum. SA told me that many B58's had the same issue and they thought it happened from factory / bad filling.
Monitored the level for a month or two but it seemed fine so forgot about it.

Going for a road trip soon so checked the level again today (car is just over 2,5 years old, done 28k miles) and it's below minimum again. Will fill it up and have the dealer check it for leaks during the next service in October.
Already informed my SA about it and will keep monitoring it.
If anything comes out of this I will report back.
      08-29-2020, 07:35 PM   #642
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni-Rapide View Post
2017 440i here. Had low coolant in my first year, don't remember exactly when. At the time my SA called me to check the coolant level and it was below minimum. SA told me that many B58's had the same issue and they thought it happened from factory / bad filling.

Going for a road trip soon so checked the level again today (car is just over 2,5 years old, done 28k miles) and it's below minimum again. Will fill it up and have the dealer check it for leaks during the next service in October.
Thanks for sharing. When was your vehicle built? My 2017 440i GC was built in July 2016.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 08:26 PM   #643
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
I have a 6MT 340i xdrive, and to be honest, I really doubt the official engine diagram, where peak torque is supposed to arrive at around 1350 rpm already, because I really don't feel so much torque in the low end of rpm, even with a tune. Even my old E90 330i (272 hp) felt more responsive at very low rpm.

Edit: I also don't see the advertised torque value on the torque gauge.
There's a reason the 'advertised' value is never achieved in the real world:

First, understand how the OEM tests and tunes the engine, (which is also how they achieve that number): They mount the engine to a brake dyno (connected directly to the flywheel, no transmission/driveshafts/wheels/tires/etc), and open the throttle, but tell the dyno to resist changing speed. So the engine loads up, and even if the turbo is BARELY spinning, it will slowly accelerate until it is actually compressing some air, which means more exhaust, which spins the turbo a little more... basically, they can let the engine sit at 1350 RPM very slowly spooling the turbo until the turbo is fully spooled, and then record that number. Then tell the dyno to let it accelerate to 1400, do the same thing, and record the highest number it reaches. They programmatically do this for the entire rev range, and that's how they produce the graph they market.

This is very different from doing a 'dyno pull' at a standard chassis dyno. A typical 'dyno pull' is designed to more closely replicate real-world use: Accelerating as quickly as possible. So, in the real world, at 1350 RPM, the engine doesn't produce enough exhaust to instantly spool the turbo, but it does produce enough power to accelerate pretty well, which lets the RPM go up and more exhaust be produced, spooling the turbo, etc...

So, no, it isn't making peak torque at 1350 RPM when you're accelerating from a stop (or from low-throttle cruise). Personally, in mine, I don't like running it that low unless I am just maintaining cruise speed. It needs to stay above about 1650 for it to feel like it has any real torque.

So, the engine truly can produce that... but not while being used in a real car on a real road, basically. If you somehow had the right incline to go full throttle at 1350 rpm and not speed up any at first... you would find the engine still slowly accelerates as it builds its small amount of boost every second at that rpm.

Side note, I DO wish 6th gear was taller... while I love the passing torque in 6th gear, 70mph is like 2500 rpm, it should be more like 1800, but that would mean you'd have to downshift to pass quickly.... but it would probably be worth it for the mileage gains.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 02:52 AM   #644
vcx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340 xdrive MPPSK 6-manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araemo View Post

First, understand how the OEM tests and tunes the engine, (which is also how they achieve that number):....
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation, it all makes sense now.

Corvette C6 Z06 Z07
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 02:57 AM   #645
Uni-Rapide
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2019 F30 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni-Rapide View Post

Thanks for sharing. When was your vehicle built? My 2017 440i GC was built in July 2016.
Mine was built in May 2017, so you would probably call it a 2018 car. I purchased it in December 2017.
      10-21-2020, 11:46 PM   #646
zhp4life
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i 6MT/coral red/THP/MPerf

what is this issue? should I be concerned as I have manual 2016 340i, 35k miles as of today ?

Now moving on to the issues that are out there. This is a B-58 engine, and there has been crank bearing guide issues where they wear out early. You're more likely to find that on a manual transmission, so it's not a big issue with the X3 M40i.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 07:59 AM   #647
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp4life View Post
Now moving on to the issues that are out there. This is a B-58 engine, and there has been crank bearing guide issues where they wear out early. You're more likely to find that on a manual transmission, so it's not a big issue with the X3 M40i.
Put in your VIN. If no recall is listed, you're fine.

https://www.bmwusa.com/safety-and-emission-recalls.html
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 07:26 PM   #648
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araemo View Post

First, understand how the OEM tests and tunes the engine, (which is also how they achieve that number): They mount the engine to a brake dyno (connected directly to the flywheel, no transmission/driveshafts/wheels/tires/etc), and open the throttle, but tell the dyno to resist changing speed. So the engine loads up, and even if the turbo is BARELY spinning, it will slowly accelerate until it is actually compressing some air, which means more exhaust, which spins the turbo a little more... basically, they can let the engine sit at 1350 RPM very slowly spooling the turbo until the turbo is fully spooled, and then record that number. Then tell the dyno to let it accelerate to 1400, do the same thing, and record the highest number it reaches. They programmatically do this for the entire rev range, and that's how they produce the graph they market.

This is very different from doing a 'dyno pull' at a standard chassis dyno. A typical 'dyno pull' is designed to more closely replicate real-world use: Accelerating as quickly as possible. So, in the real world, at 1350 RPM, the engine doesn't produce enough exhaust to instantly spool the turbo, but it does produce enough power to accelerate pretty well, which lets the RPM go up and more exhaust be produced, spooling the turbo, etc...

So, no, it isn't making peak torque at 1350 RPM when you're accelerating from a stop (or from low-throttle cruise). Personally, in mine, I don't like running it that low unless I am just maintaining cruise speed. It needs to stay above about 1650 for it to feel like it has any real torque.

So, the engine truly can produce that... but not while being used in a real car on a real road, basically. If you somehow had the right incline to go full throttle at 1350 rpm and not speed up any at first... you would find the engine still slowly accelerates as it builds its small amount of boost every second at that rpm.

Side note, I DO wish 6th gear was taller... while I love the passing torque in 6th gear, 70mph is like 2500 rpm, it should be more like 1800, but that would mean you'd have to downshift to pass quickly.... but it would probably be worth it for the mileage gains.
+1 on a taller 6th or a locked out 7th gear, similar to how Porsche does it. I have high-flow dp + AWE exhaust and cruising at 80pm at 3k rpm with ASD on is annoying.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 06:42 AM   #649
cb804
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340 xDrive, M2C

2016 340i Xdrive with just under 46k miles

Got a low coolant message about about 2 weeks ago. It always seems to be low when the weather turns cold. Topped it off and was ok for about a week.

Noticed coolant on garage floor the garage floor one day and car is now at the dealer for a new water pump.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 04:19 PM   #650
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb804 View Post
2016 340i Xdrive with just under 46k miles

Got a low coolant message about about 2 weeks ago. It always seems to be low when the weather turns cold. Topped it off and was ok for about a week.

Noticed coolant on garage floor the garage floor one day and car is now at the dealer for a new water pump.
How much is the dealer charging for the work?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 04:27 PM   #651
cb804
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340 xDrive, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
How much is the dealer charging for the work?
It came out to just under $900 parts and labor. I know it’s high but I didn’t have anywhere else to go.
Appreciate 1
BMWILUVU809.00
      03-08-2021, 12:24 AM   #652
gosi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240

I was doing an oil change and found some fragments in the old oil container afterwards. I am not sure if it is from my engine or the container that I used.

However because of that I did check my oil filter and I found a few small metal shavings in it. The shavings are non-magnetic, about 5 of them in the filter.

What do you think? Normal wear or not?

Edit: posted an image of a fragment I found in the filter
Attached Images

Last edited by gosi; 03-08-2021 at 01:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 07:40 AM   #653
StannisBaratheon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosi View Post
I was doing an oil change and found some fragments in the old oil container afterwards. I am not sure if it is from my engine or the container that I used.

However because of that I did check my oil filter and I found a few small metal shavings in it. The shavings are non-magnetic, about 5 of them in the filter.

What do you think? Normal wear or not?

Edit: posted an image of a fragment I found in the filter
What's the mileage on the engine and was this the first oil change? Metal flakes or glitter can be normal as a new engine wears in. Finding those things at 50k miles would be a little more concerning.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 08:43 AM   #654
gosi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240

70k miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 06:01 PM   #655
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosi View Post
70k miles.
I'd get an oil analysis asap from Blackstone. At 70k miles, the engine should be fairly worn in.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 10:43 PM   #656
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 View Post
Has anyone had their valve cover replaced due to some internal crack causing smoke out the tail pipe? Apparently this is becoming common on the B58 and quite a few in the dealers are experiencing this issue with smoke out the tail pipe and catless guys will obviously see more smoke. It has something to due with the PCV built inside the valve cover.
Does anyone have more info on this?

Today my M240i was idling for about 30-40 minutes and suddenly I heard a screeching noise followed by white smoke spewing out the tailpipe. The car seems to have burned all of my coolant off in about 10 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 11:36 AM   #657
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post
Does anyone have more info on this?

Today my M240i was idling for about 30-40 minutes and suddenly I heard a screeching noise followed by white smoke spewing out the tailpipe. The car seems to have burned all of my coolant off in about 10 minutes.
You have a completely different issue if you burned off coolant. That person is talking about a cracked PCV.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 11:00 AM   #658
KrampusF30
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry_z4 View Post
After 60-70 seconds of driving up the hills the car started to heavily whine when I was full gas. I could hear the noise since mid low revs up to high revs.
Noise comes from the front (engine bay). I felt no power loss at all.
Car is stock with just M Diff.
Do you have a new charge pipe? I know this noise well after I installed my VRSF charge pipe. Something about the acoustics of the metal pipe maybe?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 12:11 AM   #659
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Bump.

Got a new valve cover, valvetronic motor, fuel tank vent valve, and fuel injector seals.

Also had oily spark plugs, but I guess the dealership just cleaned them. They only had 5k miles prior to valve cover failure. Hopefully they stay working normally.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 12:08 PM   #660
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post
Bump.

Got a new valve cover, valvetronic motor, fuel tank vent valve, and fuel injector seals.

Also had oily spark plugs, but I guess the dealership just cleaned them. They only had 5k miles prior to valve cover failure. Hopefully they stay working normally.
BrettKA7, thanks for sharing. How many miles does your vehicle have?
Appreciate 0