F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Help pairing BMW with garage door
ARMA SPEED

11-29-2019, 09:33 PM   #1
VinUnleaded
Rep
Drives: MBW 435i

Question Help pairing BMW with garage door

I've got a 2014 435i and am struggling to pair it with my garage door. When I first got the car 2 years ago, I was able to pair it, and then immediately forgot how to do it. Recently the remote I use to open the garage from the house stopped working, so I replaced it. I was able to successfully pair it to the garage door, but can't get the BMW to pair with the opener.

I've followed all the steps in the owner's manual and in the videos I see online: press buttons 1 & 3 to clear the memory, hold button 1 and the remote button to pair them, etc. I've done it about a dozen times and it never works. Here's a video of me doing it:

Can anyone identify what I am doing wrong? It's driving me nuts!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 09:41 PM   #2
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinUnleaded View Post
I've got a 2014 435i and am struggling to pair it with my garage door. When I first got the car 2 years ago, I was able to pair it, and then immediately forgot how to do it. Recently the remote I use to open the garage from the house stopped working, so I replaced it. I was able to successfully pair it to the garage door, but can't get the BMW to pair with the opener.

I've followed all the steps in the owner's manual and in the videos I see online: press buttons 1 & 3 to clear the memory, hold button 1 and the remote button to pair them, etc. I've done it about a dozen times and it never works. Here's a video of me doing it:

Can anyone identify what I am doing wrong? It's driving me nuts!
Does your garage door opener have a button on it the actual one in the garage?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 03:00 PM   #3
VinUnleaded
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSF3014 View Post
Yes it does. I have tried pressing it with a short press, then returning to the car and pressing button 1 3 times, and I have also tried it with the long press and then pressing button 1 3 times. That said, I think that I need to solve the button 1-garage door pairing first, and then doing the button on the garage to learn the rolling code (if there is one). So that's why I'm focused on that first pairing first.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 03:53 PM   #4
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSF3014 View Post
Yes it does. I have tried pressing it with a short press, then returning to the car and pressing button 1 3 times, and I have also tried it with the long press and then pressing button 1 3 times. That said, I think that I need to solve the button 1-garage door pairing first, and then doing the button on the garage to learn the rolling code (if there is one). So that's why I'm focused on that first pairing first.
So the way I just did it was if you hold that button on the actual garage then it clears all presets of ones you have need two people. Have one just push for a split second the garage door button on it then you hold the 1 button until you see the garage door light flash and then it's paired. To open it you have to hold the 1 button.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 08:27 PM   #5
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
I think you were successful in clearing the programming by pushing the 1 and 3 button simultaneously. With that said, I don't think it's accepting your new programming. You may need to try to program the Homelink away from your house to avoid opening and closing the garage. Also try clicking the garage door opener several times and keep pushing on its button until Homelink accepts the code. Once programmed, you can push on the garage door "learn" button and if accepted the garage door opener light will blink 3 times. It took me several tries to get homelink to accept programming as well. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 09:15 PM   #6
VinUnleaded
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
I think you were successful in clearing the programming by pushing the 1 and 3 button simultaneously. With that said, I don't think it's accepting your new programming.
Yeah, I think you are right.

Quote:
You may need to try to program the Homelink away from your house to avoid opening and closing the garage.
Tried this, but still no better.

Quote:
Also try clicking the garage door opener several times and keep pushing on its button until Homelink accepts the code.
I forgot to try this part, so I will give it another go soon. To clarify, I should hold down #1, then start clicking the clicker multiple times, right?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 02:08 AM   #7
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, I think you are right.

Tried this, but still no better.

I forgot to try this part, so I will give it another go soon. To clarify, I should hold down #1, then start clicking the clicker multiple times, right?
Yes. Hold down #1 to get it in to programming mode and keep clicking and holding down the garage door button. If accepted, the indicator will blink rapidly. Once done, you can check to see if the indicator light solid when you push your programmed button. Then you can proceed to train the garage door.

Last edited by GenXer; 12-04-2019 at 02:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 11:05 AM   #8
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

I know every time I've tried to pair homelink on a bmw it takes me like 15 times and one time it just finally works and I can never figure out what I did differently lol
      12-05-2019, 12:06 PM   #9
Pure Driven
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i GC

I got a new opener a couple months ago and was trying to pair it to Homelink and was unsuccessful after so many tries. I even watched a couple tutorial videos about it and just gave up. Glad I am not the only one struggling with this lol. Thanks for the tips guys I will give it another go.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 11:13 AM   #10
jsouth
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I got mine successfully paired with my garage opener. I do notice that in actual use I have to hold the BMW mirror button down longer than I think I should (maybe 4-5 flashes) before the opener responds.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 09:40 PM   #11
VinUnleaded
Rep

Update: I gave up and returned the remote. I got another one, a Craftsman which supports this garage door, and again I could not pair with the car. So I returned that one and bought a LiftMaster, which was the one I originally had for this garage before it stopped working. Sure enough, it paired with the car first try. So lesson learned: not all remotes pair with the BMW!
Appreciate 0