F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Back up camera without MMI?
Extreme Powerhouse

04-12-2021, 07:55 AM   #1
letsgetit
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Back up camera without MMI?

I have a 2013 335i that does not have a backup camera.

I don't care for apple carplay, so I don't really want to spend money on an MMI. Is there anything additional that I would need to install the following camera?

https://www.amazon.com/Handle-Backup...98&sr=1-5&th=1
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 08:22 AM   #2
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

Yes, to do it cheap you will need a reverse camera emulator box. I used one of these on my wife's X3 a couple of years ago and it's been working great. At the time it was around 40 GBP/55 USD but it seems they're a bit cheaper now. I took a gamble and ordered one like this from AliExpress as I couldn't find anywhere else selling them at a reasonable price:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3291...archweb201603_

The one I got was just like this. 5 wires total - power, ground, can high, can low and camera power. I spliced the power/ground/can wires into the wires going to the head unit, plugged the RCA cable into the relevant pin holes on the quadlock harness to the head unit and then ran an RCA video cable (with embedded power cable) down the side of the car and spliced the embedded power cable to the white cable for camera power. That meant all I had to do at the other end was join the camera power cable to the wire coming out of the RCA cable and then splice the ground onto any ground point.

However, you can also get slightly more expensive ones that have a quadlock passthrough connection so you don't need to solder/tap any power/ground/can wires and it just plugs in.

After that it's just a case of coding by adding 3AG to VO and then coding NBT. You won't get dynamic lines by doing this, but the camera does the job well and in my case the total parts cost (for camera and emulator only, I had tools and soldered my wires in place) was only 60 GBP/82 USD, can't go wrong for that money.

This is basically all it is when installed, the only pic I have unfortunately:

Last edited by Zheez; 04-12-2021 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 1