F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Key not detected
ARMA SPEED

03-23-2020, 06:17 PM   #45
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetzgerMeister View Post
Since I got my F30 I've been using the one key. I recently took out the second key which looks brand new (normal once is battered and bruised) and it will lock/unlock the car but when I get in to start it, the message "key not detected" comes up. I then put it up to the side of the steering column and it says "key detected, ok to start engine". If I turn off the engine, it won't start up again without going through the same steps.

I don't have this issue with the other key which always remains in my pocket after I unlock the car (no comfort access) or anything like it. I have no mods at all, let alone with regard to lights etc. The battery in the key is brand new too.

Hoping someone can help with this.
Error codes?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 10:20 AM   #46
MetzgerMeister
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Didn't think to check. Will do tonight.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #47
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
I am still having this issue.. tried both fobs, change the batteries multiple times, and do NOT have aftermarket puddle lamps.

Its weird.. I have the new sensor from my post back in 2018, but the stealership was full of crap about the doors and wiring. I pulled all of it, and it was fine, they are so full of crap. Also, the sensor at the door is under the side skirt, not in the door itself.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 10:37 AM   #48
MetzgerMeister
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Error codes?
No error codes relating to the key fob.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 04:14 PM   #49
FKI
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i F30

God bless this thread. I've been having an issue with my key detection / starting the car for a few months now. After trips to two different BMW dealers, they both told me it was highly unlikely the problem was within the car, and told me its probably a key fob issue (even though the problem occurred with both keys and after changing out the battery multiple times). They both wanted me to order a new fob, but I couldn't believe both my main and spare fob would have failed on me at the same time. After doing research I was convinced it was one of the interior convenient access antennas failing. I ordered one and switched it with the antennas under the cupholders, center console, and trunk with no success. I pretty much gave up until I came across this thread where wdeerfield suggested the problem was with the led door projectors. I had been running eBay lights for a few years as I had switched them out with white lights with no problems. However, a few months ago a friend gifted me some of the projector lights that showed the ///M logo when the door was opened. I realized that was around the time I was experiencing this issue. I took them out and all my issue's were gone! Not sure exactly why the door lights cause this issue. While doing research on the antenna system I notice that there are two exterior comfort access antennas located behind both side skirts. Perhaps the door lights and side skirt antenna are drawn from the same wire and the eBay projector lights are drawing too much power away from them? I can't say for certain but I can say without a doubt the projector lights were the problem. I will be switching them out with my old white eBay lights that had no issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 08:03 PM   #50
jonnybthegoalie
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive 6MT

Not completely trying to re-open an old thread but I have this problem on my '14 335i, however it doesn't happen on the gf's car ('13 328i) and yet we both have the cheap china projector lights. Going to see if swapping them around fixes it and/or replacing with the OE lights.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 03:55 AM   #51
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

It doesn't surprise me that those cheap lights cause problems. I suspect it's related to crap voltage regulation which is emitting tons of RF interference.

A slightly different scenario, but I've got (or rather, I had) a couple of USB car chargers that pretty much instantly kill my DAB radio signal as soon as they're plugged in. FM is affected too, but not to the degree DAB is. I even had this problem recently - was doing a 300+ mile drive with a friend and after I'd been driving a while I noticed the radio reception was crap and I didn't think too much of it. It only occurred to me on the drive back home that he'd plugged his own USB charger in for his phone and when unplugging it, everything was good again. Those chargers are obviously such poor quality that they're emitting enough interference to affect the radio signals in a very localised spot.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 03:54 AM   #52
DCrunch
Rep
Drives: 335i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetzgerMeister View Post
Since I got my F30 I've been using the one key. I recently took out the second key which looks brand new (normal once is battered and bruised) and it will lock/unlock the car but when I get in to start it, the message "key not detected" comes up. I then put it up to the side of the steering column and it says "key detected, ok to start engine". If I turn off the engine, it won't start up again without going through the same steps.

I don't have this issue with the other key which always remains in my pocket after I unlock the car (no comfort access) or anything like it. I have no mods at all, let alone with regard to lights etc. The battery in the key is brand new too.

Hoping someone can help with this.
Hi!

I was looking through forums to find the solution to the same issue. I added a new key to the car after a spare was lost. The new key opens the car (comfort access) and starts it if I put it directly to the steering column but it isn't detected when I just sit in the car and the engine won't start. There are no errors(

Maybe someone has any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 04:53 PM   #53
Eddie Cement
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive M-Sport

Hm. Very interesting. Bought my F30 used, came with the logo puddles (not sure where previous owner sourced them)... my issue is a little different - I get the warning every time the passenger gets out and closes the door, with the car already running.

I need to try swapping in the factory puddles and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 10:39 AM   #54
dammitbmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 535ix

major drama with comfort access

I also have the shitty lights from ebay/etsy. comfort access drained my battery so much that a new battery had to be replaced, my car wont start but it cranks and is throwing all kinds of crazy codes in addition to my car has been sitting for almost a month because of this. replaced the LPFP and the alternator which neither needed replacing and had been replaced once before. I'm heading outside now to remove those lights but I dont have the old ones, I'm wondering will I still be able to see if that was the issue being that I dont have the original lights to put back in?
Appreciate 0