F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Ask a BMW service advisor a question
GetBMWParts

01-19-2018, 11:21 AM   #23
al3xander
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
Do techs beat the shit out of the car during the 1,200 mile service?

I'm about to hand mine over on Monday and I'm freaking out.

Mine's a manual, too.. What if they beat the shit out of the clutch?
I can only speak on my technicians and not all but we have the opposite problem here, techs don't really care to go out and drive cars after routine maint or repairs because they are much more interested in getting that car out and on to the next one to book more hours. I would document your mileage when dropping it off just in case. Typically our technicians do a 2 mile test drive after a maint. visit. Larger repairs will be 5+ miles.

Quote:
Yes
can I possibly buy a key fob at a reasonable price and program it myself w/o paying 2-3 hundred dollars?
there must be a way to synch up the chip signals from my bimmer to program the new key fob myself
similar to programming a new garage door opener
to the best of my knowledge the only way to get a replacement key and have it work properly is directly from BMW.

Quote:
Who is the person taking joy rides after a repair? The actual tech or some driving boy?
These people don't give a rats ass about your property.
the technicians are the ones here to test drive vehicles after service or repairs but sometimes we have our shop foreman and service manager test drive cars as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #24
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
All these people worried about techs joy riding cars. We see these cars all day, every day. 99% of techs would never do that. Plus, why would I "joy ride" a car that is slower than my daily driver?

Most of the techs here drive nicer cars than our customers.

Actually had a customer say "have a fun drive with my car" as he was handing me his keys to his four year old TL. We were standing in front of my own car, pointed at it and said "nah, I'm fine."
Maybe it's because Canadians are much nicer than folks down here.
Your theory or claims are false my friend. My scenario was someone was dumping the clutch and broke a diff bolt which the dealer refused to take responsibility for. Interior pieces all scratched up from battery cable recall fix.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2018, 11:27 AM   #25
Chihuahua
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
Who is the person taking joy rides after a repair? The actual tech or some driving boy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
All these people worried about techs joy riding cars. We see these cars all day, every day. 99% of techs would never do that. Plus, why would I "joy ride" a car that is slower than my daily driver?
Unfortunately this has happened twice at the dealership here that I know of. About two years ago one of the more tenured techs stuffed a customer's F13 M6 in a big, big way while on a 'test drive' (he was hauling ass). He was promptly terminated.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #26
MightyMouseTech
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
Maybe it's because Canadians are much nicer than folks down here.
Your theory or claims are false my friend. My scenario was someone was dumping the clutch and broke a diff bolt which the dealer refused to take responsibility for. Interior pieces all scratched up from battery cable recall fix.
Could be. But I can only speak for the dealerships I have worked at.

Although, our shop forman did flip an NSX onto it's roof many moons ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 11:34 AM   #27
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
Unfortunately this has happened twice at the dealership here that I know of. About two years ago one of the more tenured techs stuffed a customer's F13 M6 in a big, big way while on a 'test drive' (he was hauling ass). He was promptly terminated.
Hopefully not Park Ave in Paramus?

Lol
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 03:42 PM   #28
kb2wji
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i convertible

I dig the thread....

My '11 128i 6mt is almost at 70,000 miles. It runs new, feels new, looks new. What service do I "really" need to do? I've heard the horror stories about the water pump but otherwise am I just looking at a brake / diff fluid change and maybe a belt job, or am I looking at selling a kidney? (Recently moved and the books are packed up somewhere, so i'm not sure what BMW has in store). I'm getting the "car up on the lift" icon on the dash. Makes my wallet feel warm
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 03:51 PM   #29
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Interested if you can give a truly independent (non-corporate) opinion on what is the best value for money BMW warranty/maintenance extension for a 2014 M4? Obviously that decision is coming up for me

Many threads on this and more than likely a 3rd party would offer the best deal but curious if there are less well publicized deals/combinations from BMW that make most sense particularly w.r.t. the engine (parts, repair etc) but also for the car in general, e.g. ensuring coverage for the roof mechanism etc. only F83?

Quote:
Originally Posted by al3xander View Post

Ask me anything you'd like and I'll answer to the best of my ability!
      01-19-2018, 05:54 PM   #30
FlaPatsFan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
Per sib 12 18 14. For vehicles with the N51, N52 (from 4/2006), and N52K engines which have been in service for over 24 months or 10,000 miles: during the first service visit due to an ignition coil failure, replace all Bosch ignition coils with Delphi coils as indicated in ETK (March 2015).

The parts are not yet available for either the pcv valve heater or blower motor wiring recalls but we have taken in many cars in which people have opted to drop them off with us and leave them here until parts are available and have been given enterprise rental cars to drive in the mean time at no charge to them.
Thank you, just purchased the Delphi coils.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 06:16 PM   #31
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

What is the actual allowable tire circumference variance allowed on the staggered setups with xDrive?

We get a whole lot of hearsay and general info about the tires needing to be "exactly" the same diameter but that is impossible. There must be a percent difference that the xDrive system can handling without causing any transfer case issues.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2018, 08:00 PM   #32
aaaaah
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Bought the car used. Warranty expires in 08/19. Dealership is pushing me to pay the $700 maintenance plan transfer fee.

Trying to work out if there is any value to that (have ~3700mi to next service)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 08:11 PM   #33
Chihuahua
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
Hopefully not Park Ave in Paramus?

Lol
nope!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 12:06 PM   #34
al3xander
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaah View Post
Bought the car used. Warranty expires in 08/19. Dealership is pushing me to pay the $700 maintenance plan transfer fee.

Trying to work out if there is any value to that (have ~3700mi to next service)
how many miles currently on the car? also whats the last 7 on your vin? ill check history for you. dealer cost on the maint plan refresh is $300.00 fyi. there is room to negotiate on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob View Post
Interested if you can give a truly independent (non-corporate) opinion on what is the best value for money BMW warranty/maintenance extension for a 2014 M4? Obviously that decision is coming up for me

Many threads on this and more than likely a 3rd party would offer the best deal but curious if there are less well publicized deals/combinations from BMW that make most sense particularly w.r.t. the engine (parts, repair etc) but also for the car in general, e.g. ensuring coverage for the roof mechanism etc. only F83?
there is very small mark up on any of the bmw extended warranty and maint plans for dealers. I would look into 3rd party companies and find an exclusionary contract. make sure it lists what is NOT covered therefore anything that isn't in that not covered section youre good on. Stay away from warranties that tell you what is covered because if its not in that list youre out of luck. I deal with 3rd party warranties almost daily and there are tons of good ones out there like fidelity, easy care, zurich, CNA, etc

Quote:
CeeTeeX5 What is the actual allowable tire circumference variance allowed on the staggered setups with xDrive?

We get a whole lot of hearsay and general info about the tires needing to be "exactly" the same diameter but that is impossible. There must be a percent difference that the xDrive system can handling without causing any transfer case issues.
This would be more appropriate of a question for a master tech or shop foreman. I really cant say with confidence how much variation in tire size a car can withstand and for how long before causing damage to a transfer case.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 12:48 PM   #35
nars3000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I see a lot of SAs drive nice cars (e.g. M3, M5, i8), especially in California. Albeit these cars are acquired via lease through the very generous BMW employee discount. What does the average, as well as, above average SA make annually (salary range)?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 01:06 PM   #36
alex2364
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
there is very small mark up on any of the bmw extended warranty and maint plans for dealers. I would look into 3rd party companies and find an exclusionary contract. make sure it lists what is NOT covered therefore anything that isn't in that not covered section youre good on. Stay away from warranties that tell you what is covered because if its not in that list youre out of luck. I deal with 3rd party warranties almost daily and there are tons of good ones out there like fidelity, easy care, zurich, CNA, etc
Have you dealt with Geico's mechanical breakdown coverage? Easy to deal with?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #37
alex2364
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTeeX5 View Post
What is the actual allowable tire circumference variance allowed on the staggered setups with xDrive?

The rule is less than 1%.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 01:15 PM   #38
Delta0311
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
The rule is less than 1%.
Stick with the staggered setup option listed in the manual and you wonít have any issues.
You can detect right away those that are going to be shaky, and that will fall behind and those that are very hungry, and that hunger you will have to develop. You gotta create a goal for yourself whatever that may be, a short term goal and a long term goal and you gotta go after that. And if you donít see it, and if you donít believe it, who else will?
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 01:23 PM   #39
qocerhuang
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 diesel 2014

Last time I went for the service check, why your guys unplug my dashcam.
Appreciate 1
McPurrs203.50

01-25-2018, 03:03 PM   #40
al3xander
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qocerhuang View Post
Last time I went for the service check, why your guys unplug my dashcam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
I see a lot of SAs drive nice cars (e.g. M3, M5, i8), especially in California. Albeit these cars are acquired via lease through the very generous BMW employee discount. What does the average, as well as, above average SA make annually (salary range)?
I can't speak on all advisors because every dealership has a different pay plan structured on how their service advisors get paid. I'm sure there are some BMW dealers out there where advisors make as little as 40k a year and others where advisors can and have made excess of 120,000+ a year. It's entirely dependent on that dealerships pay structure and of course the advisors ability to sell work. But yes we do have a very generous employee lease program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Have you dealt with Geico's mechanical breakdown coverage? Easy to deal with?

Have never dealt with GEICO mbi
Appreciate 1
nars3000456.00

01-25-2018, 06:48 PM   #41
aaaaah
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
how many miles currently on the car? also whats the last 7 on your vin? ill check history for you. dealer cost on the maint plan refresh is $300.00 fyi. there is room to negotiate on that.
29000mi

I'll send you a PM with the last 7
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 07:55 PM   #42
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

When I was scheduled to pickup my newly-bought car, the SA called me the day of and told me to come a few hours later...is it really that innocuous, e.g. they were really busy trying to make other sales or were they trying to get out of the deal somehow? Also, the 2nd key didn't appear right away and only during the 'explaining the car to me' phase, just little hiccups?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 09:37 PM   #43
aajjcc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

what are the top three issues you see customers bringing in their f8x for? do the problems differ by year?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 10:04 PM   #44
DuSh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

1. Have you had many f15 x5 50i (n63tu) engine replacements due to excessive oil consumption or due to bad valve stem seals?

2. I installed aftermarket drilled rotors - I'm soon in for brake pads replacement according to my iDrive maintenance screen (I'm still on free maintenance till March with my 2014 x5) - will I be denied new pads due to me installing aftermarket rotors?

3. I'm on 30k miles currently - my iDrive maintenance screen only monitors oil intervals and brakes mainly, I don't see any info on maintenance items such as coolant/transmission/steering fluid/brake fluid/plugs etc. Considering I'm still on free maintenance till March - should I bring this up with my SA before my free maintenance plan ends? I feel like they won't bother if I won't mention it. How should I approach it?

Thank you
Appreciate 0