F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Ask a BMW service advisor a question
GetBMWParts

02-18-2018, 03:47 PM   #67
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [5.00]
My rear camera is now showing things behind me when I back up upside down. Is this a coding error? It started after I brought the M4 in for a brake fluid service which I can't imagine is related in any way.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 11:19 PM   #68
al3xander
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBimmer View Post
My rear camera is now showing things behind me when I back up upside down. Is this a coding error? It started after I brought the M4 in for a brake fluid service which I can't imagine is related in any way.
I have seen this before multiple times on some F15's and a software update was always the remedy. I agree it's most likely unrelated to your recent service visit for brake fluid. Make an appointment with your dealership. They'll program your car with the most recent software and correct this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave123456789 View Post
Hello, stupid question probably but would a f20 116i exhuast fit the 118d version? Many thanks
I'm sorry I don't have any knowledge on either of these vehicles as they are not sold in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar666 View Post
I have a problem on my '08 x5 3.0sd. My dashboard/instrument light/cluster have all gone black. Navi,stero,pw inner lights work just fine but speedomeeter,rpm,clock and everything else in that window is dead. Do you have an idea of what could be wrong? Are there any fuses to the dashboard?
Unfortunately anything I'd say at this point would be specialtion. It sounds like the cluster is just dead. I've seen this before in an E38 but never an E70 like yours. Only way to know for sure is to have a pro look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETSGTSTARSKY View Post
Just took delivery of a 2018 X5d a few weeks ago. Have treated all of our vehicles like M cars along with more strict maintenance. Would it be worth it to do an early oil service at around 2500 miles to get break in wear particles out? Also front and rear differentials for the same reason. Plan on keeping it a long time and don't trade up in three years like some people.
only the M cars have a special diff break in fluid in them from factory to my knowledge but it wouldn't hurt to do these services. I would recommend doing the diff fluids every 30-40k miles as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I just had to replace the rear brake pads, and lightly resurface rear rotors - 19k miles (228iX, no tracking). Is this common? I'd expect fronts to go much faster. Front rotors also look as grooved as the rears were, but they say pad sensors say they have >25k miles left on them and nothing needed in front; should I push to have those worked on too?
Rear pads and rotors are thinner so they can wear out quicker than fronts. Did they say they replaced the rear pads and resurfaced rotors because your car indicated it needed rear brakes On the CBS data? BMW rule is pads need to be under 4mm in pad life to be eligible for replacement under maint plan. Rotors must be cut if they're still within spec (above min thickness after cutting) otherwise they'll be replaced. If your front pads are above 4mm and the rotors measured for run out are within spec there's nothing you can do to push them to replace them early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi604 View Post
Interesting to hear you started at Honda. Iíve recently started a career as an SA for Honda in Canada. Really enjoying it so far. The good pay plan helps.

Iíve always been keen on moving on to the luxury space after some time, BMW in particular. How much of your work is customer pay vs warranty? Howís it different from Honda?
I'd say it's pretty close to a 50-50 split overall. Some weeks will be heavier on warranty then others and vice versa but overall I'd say since I started it's been about even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough-Night-Out View Post
Purchased a new M3 on 1/26 and immediately had issues with check engine lights, ABS systems and more returned it to the dealership the next day. The service department found that the ABS module was defective and needed to be replaced. As of today, the car is still at the dealership. This is not the quality or customer service experience I was hoping for when buying a New M3. Do you know who makes the decision to repurchase the vehicle - is it BMW corporate, or the dealership? I'm getting conflicting answers from each...
If your dealer isn't helping I'd reach out to BMW NA. I'm pretty sure they have the final say on this. If neither are helping I'd get your lawyer involved and look into your stares buy back or lemon laws and go from there. Sorry you've had such poor luck with your car. I'm on my 2nd F80 and have had zero issues with either so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 11:24 PM   #69
al3xander
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
My car is a 2016 M3 6MT (standard brakes). Prior to this I have a 335xi MSport (6MT as well) with the MSport brake option. On that previous car I'd notice when it was raining out that my brakes would not grab instantaneously. Kind of like a slip before they would grab. On my M3 it is really bad. Literally doesn't grab for like 2 seconds and then clamps. 26k Miles. I will bring it in but have you seen this?
I drove a 2016 F80 for 20k miles and never once experienced anything like this during rain and we see a fair amount of rain here in the Midwest. I've only heard complaints on the CCB which aren't as effective in rain but never the standard brakes.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 01:45 AM   #70
Brownd3max
Brownd3max
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E92

Garage List
2012 M3  [0.00]
Do you have any estimate of time/difficulty/cost/how common it is for a clutch throw-out (release) bearing needing replacement? My newly-acquired '12 M3 6spd has a slight "whirring" noise down low that disappears when I push in the clutch pedal. Thanks!
      02-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #71
OUGrad05
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2015 335i M Sport

How big is your commission on recommended services and repairs? My experience with advisors has been all over the map with some pushing many unnecessary items and others being far easier to deal with. A buddy of mine that works at Lexus said they have some of the same because the incentive structure isn't aligned to the customers best interest.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 01:02 PM   #72
SharpAndCunning
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Is wastegate rattle actually normal in the x135i?

When my car was still covered under fatory warranty I brought it in and told the service manager it sounded like an exhaust ratlte. When the car is warm it won't rattle, but outside air temperature doesn't seem to affect it.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 03:10 PM   #73
FlaPatsFan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

What is the correct NGK spark plug for a 2011 328i e91???? Much debate on this. Canít seem to get a specific answer. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 05:11 PM   #74
insanecoder
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by al3xander View Post
I work as a service advisor at a BMW dealership and I have met and dealt with some interesting people in my short time with BMW (almost 2 years now) I mostly enjoy my job but i do get the occasional difficult customer who makes me want to pull my hair out

Ask me anything you'd like and I'll answer to the best of my ability!
Yes question on the B58 engine..
what does BMW tech database tell you about the reasons B58 engine owners often experience coolant disappearance (often low levels) wheres it going?
Is it a known issue even with the revised 2nd edition B58 turbo?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 05:18 PM   #75
TB///M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 ///M3

There's nothing really wrong with my car "16 M3" 6spd no EDC.
What excuse can I use to get my ECU updated for free?

Only thing i can think of is something with the Navi.
Cannot use DCT or Suspension excuses.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2018, 05:26 PM   #76
og4delta
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8

Telematics (i8)

Where does the ID for the TCU can be found? I need this ID to add it to my google account so I can send directions from Google Maps to the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 06:30 PM   #77
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Do you think I'd have any luck convincing my local dealer to replace my high pressure fuel pump under the extended warranty for N54 engines? I have an early-production N55 so the fuel pump is exactly the same, but for some reason not covered under the extended warranty.
      02-22-2018, 08:57 AM   #78
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: GOKART

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [5.00]
im not sure if this question has been asked already but if keep a bmw past the 50k miles it would be a peace of mind to buy extended coverage right? Do all dealership have same price for extended coverage? what is best plan to purchase? which third party company is good with taking care of all repairs without a hassle that you have come across?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 04:57 PM   #79
al3xander
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
im not sure if this question has been asked already but if keep a bmw past the 50k miles it would be a peace of mind to buy extended coverage right? Do all dealership have same price for extended coverage? what is best plan to purchase? which third party company is good with taking care of all repairs without a hassle that you have come across?
I would definitely recommend it if you plan on keeping the car for many years, extended warranties just like all products dealers sell have a cost and an MSRP. All dealers are different, shop around for your warranty just like your shopping for a car. Find the warranty that best fits your needs and the price is always negotiable. Especially 3rd party warranties. Bmw contracts they have less mark up, The better 3rd pretty warranties I've dealt with in the past.

Safeguard, fidelity, Zurich , easy care. CNA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerAg View Post
Do you think I'd have any luck convincing my local dealer to replace my high pressure fuel pump under the extended warranty for N54 engines? I have an early-production N55 so the fuel pump is exactly the same, but for some reason not covered under the extended warranty.

Impossible unfortunately , the N55 despite having the identical pump has no extended warranty on it what so ever so there's no way for any dealer to claim that as warranty. If you have good standing relationship with your local dealer and you bought your car from them and have serviced it there regularly you can ask for some goodwill assistance from your SA or service manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by og4delta View Post
Where does the ID for the TCU can be found? I need this ID to add it to my google account so I can send directions from Google Maps to the car.
pM me your VIN last 7 I can provide you the TCU IMEI for your car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB///M3 View Post
There's nothing really wrong with my car "16 M3" 6spd no EDC.
What excuse can I use to get my ECU updated for free?

Only thing i can think of is something with the Navi.
Cannot use DCT or Suspension excuses.
I can't guarantee this would work but you can mention that your idrive screen (cid) is resetting while driving and a no signal message appears. This usually prompts a programming to the latest I-level but again I can't guarantee this will work because the tech will run faults and if he doesn't find any he may opt to just stop there. Worth a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
Yes question on the B58 engine..
what does BMW tech database tell you about the reasons B58 engine owners often experience coolant disappearance (often low levels) wheres it going?
Is it a known issue even with the revised 2nd edition B58 turbo?
I have seen many B58 come in with low coolant warnings prior to even their first oil change and each time I've seen it they've barely even been low on coolant. No official word or bulletin on the issue but most of the techs think it's been an issue of them being improperly bled from the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
What is the correct NGK spark plug for a 2011 328i e91???? Much debate on this. Canít seem to get a specific answer. Thanks!
I can look it up in the parts catalog based on your VIN if you'd like to PM me last 7 of the VIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
How big is your commission on recommended services and repairs? My experience with advisors has been all over the map with some pushing many unnecessary items and others being far easier to deal with. A buddy of mine that works at Lexus said they have some of the same because the incentive structure isn't aligned to the customers best interest.
Each dealership has different pay plans for their advisors. I went to BMW service advisor training course last year and there were advisors from all over the Midwest region and a bunch of us compared our pay plans, not a single one of us had identical pay plans and some were extremely different. Ie. some payed on warranty and customer pay. Some didn't pay on warranty. Percentages ranging Widely. Some payed on total net sales. Some on gross profit. Etc. I've been working for bmw for two years I have sold 0 fuel injection cleanings and unnecessary work. It's already expensive enough as it is to own and keep up a bmw , I want my customers to return back to me. I'm not trying to wack them once and never see them again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownd3max View Post
Do you have any estimate of time/difficulty/cost/how common it is for a clutch throw-out (release) bearing needing replacement? My newly-acquired '12 M3 6spd has a slight "whirring" noise down low that disappears when I push in the clutch pedal. Thanks!
E9x M3 is a pretty rare care to get in service, I don't see a lot of them. If you'd like to PM me last 7 of your VIN I can put together a parts and labor estimate for you to give you an idea of cost
Appreciate 3
      02-22-2018, 05:06 PM   #80
al3xander
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc647 View Post
Is wastegate rattle actually normal in the x135i?

When my car was still covered under fatory warranty I brought it in and told the service manager it sounded like an exhaust ratlte. When the car is warm it won't rattle, but outside air temperature doesn't seem to affect it.
only on earlier models with the n54, what year is yours?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 05:22 PM   #81
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough-Night-Out View Post
Purchased a new M3 on 1/26 and immediately had issues with check engine lights, ABS systems and more returned it to the dealership the next day. The service department found that the ABS module was defective and needed to be replaced. As of today, the car is still at the dealership. This is not the quality or customer service experience I was hoping for when buying a New M3. Do you know who makes the decision to repurchase the vehicle - is it BMW corporate, or the dealership? I'm getting conflicting answers from each...
Google, Steve Lheto, an attorney who writes for numerous online cars sites like Jalopnik. There should be an article or two with a similar situation as you.

Go to your states attorney general web site and read what the time frame is for car in shop that it can be classified as a Lemon.

I
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 09:07 PM   #82
onfireX5
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by al3xander View Post
only on earlier models with the n54, what year is yours?
Major Kudos to you for starting this thread and answering all of these questions !
Appreciate 2
DBU53.00
TeamBFT35.00

02-23-2018, 02:58 AM   #83
puppydax
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2016 Viper ACR  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Can I PM you my VIN and see what service has been done? Bought my third N54 last year from Carmax and want to make sure I'm up on maintenance + know what has/hasn't been done.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 11:15 PM   #84
DuSh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
1. Have you had many f15 x5 50i (n63tu) engine replacements due to excessive oil consumption or due to bad valve stem seals?

2. I installed aftermarket drilled rotors - I'm soon in for brake pads replacement according to my iDrive maintenance screen (I'm still on free maintenance till March with my 2014 x5) - will I be denied new pads due to me installing aftermarket rotors?

3. I'm on 30k miles currently - my iDrive maintenance screen only monitors oil intervals and brakes mainly, I don't see any info on maintenance items such as coolant/transmission/steering fluid/brake fluid/plugs etc. Considering I'm still on free maintenance till March - should I bring this up with my SA before my free maintenance plan ends? I feel like they won't bother if I won't mention it. How should I approach it?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 11:20 AM   #85
Bufalo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Garage List
2017 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Is there any standard procedure or ability for regular Joes to rent or borrow factory service tools?

Lots of owners have the knack and desire to maintain or repair their own cars, but given the number of fixes that require specific, expensive factory tools, it becomes cumbersome if not financially irresponsible to DIY some jobs.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 09:55 PM   #86
al3xander
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
1. Have you had many f15 x5 50i (n63tu) engine replacements due to excessive oil consumption or due to bad valve stem seals?

2. I installed aftermarket drilled rotors - I'm soon in for brake pads replacement according to my iDrive maintenance screen (I'm still on free maintenance till March with my 2014 x5) - will I be denied new pads due to me installing aftermarket rotors?

3. I'm on 30k miles currently - my iDrive maintenance screen only monitors oil intervals and brakes mainly, I don't see any info on maintenance items such as coolant/transmission/steering fluid/brake fluid/plugs etc. Considering I'm still on free maintenance till March - should I bring this up with my SA before my free maintenance plan ends? I feel like they won't bother if I won't mention it. How should I approach it?
We have done many many valve guide seals on N63ís but none on the newer TU engine. Itís always been on E70/71 X5 and X6. A couple of earlier model year f10 550i and and a bunch of f01/f02. I have yet to see an f15 need valve guide seals but Iím sure weíll get there as time passes and we start seeing higher mileage ones come in. Itís only a matter of time really.

In regards to your brakes that may get denied by your dealer As youíve installed aftermarket rotors which they can point to as a reason not to touch your brakes. Pads get replaced with either resurfacing rotors or replacing them. Rarely we have instances where we just do a pad slap. I can see a dealership give you a hard time about the brakes but like I always tell people each dealer / SA/ service manager is different so you may get some more flexible than others. I know for a fact you wouldnít be eligible for the rotor replacement as theyíd have no original rotors to send back for warranty.

CBS data in your vehicle status will definitely have a brake fluid service on it. Itís due every two years. Coolant and power steering fluid have never been on the CBS. We usually recommend flushing coolant every 3-4 years. Bmw says the trans fluids in their newer cars are lifetime but If youíre planning on keeping the car for a long time thereís nothing wrong with doing a drain and fill every 40-50k. Spark plugs are on the CBS they just donít show on the screen in your car but they do when we scan your key in. They should be done every 4th or 5th oil change or so. Since none of those fluids other than brake fluid are apart of the CBS they are not included in the maint plan and you would be paying for them if you wanted any of those services performed.
Appreciate 1
DuSh1350.50

02-26-2018, 09:59 PM   #87
al3xander
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufalo View Post
Is there any standard procedure or ability for regular Joes to rent or borrow factory service tools?

Lots of owners have the knack and desire to maintain or repair their own cars, but given the number of fixes that require specific, expensive factory tools, it becomes cumbersome if not financially irresponsible to DIY some jobs.
we donít rent out any of our shop tools and I donít think youíll find a dealer who will. A lot of these specialty tools the dealer is responsible for buying and making sure is in proper working condition so canít imagine them letting an untrained employee using their tool let alone a customer and potentially damaging it or never returning it back.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 09:41 PM   #88
kwstandard
AutoPilot
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i, 2014 328d

Garage List
2018 M550i oil... what is the correct motor oil for this vehicle? Manual has 2 BMW options. Just want to keep an extra quart in the car and wow prefer the BMW oil. Do you have a part number in addition to the viscosity? TIA.
Appreciate 0