F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > xDrive All-Wheel Drive Discussions > XDelete- the answer to XDrive?
Extreme Powerhouse

10-22-2019, 06:06 PM   #309
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

What happens when you go back to XDrive - does it go back to the original, BMW software, or does it still use an XDelete flash with AWD enabled (which may very well differ from the original spec)?
      10-26-2019, 11:18 AM   #310
smuttana
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21' G80 M3 Comp

I was able to flash back to xDrive using a device from iOS 12, so may be an issue with the latest iOS 13.1.3 (or it's just my device/cable).

Reverted back, because I kept losing traction/power when hitting bumps on Philly city roads, and didn't feel that confident in taking higher speed turns in the rain.

Assuming that it flashes back to the original xDrive map, but not sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 02:08 AM   #311
opinion914
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 N47

Looks like the latest update incorporates a clutch calibration after each flash. Assuming that's the clutchpack within the auto trannys.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 02:33 AM   #312
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: F33 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by opinion914 View Post
Looks like the latest update incorporates a clutch calibration after each flash. Assuming that's the clutchpack within the auto trannys.
I think that is the clutch pack of the transfer case. They do this because if you change back and forth between awd and rwd during a calibration cycle of the clutch pack, it does that once in a while, it can mess up the calibration (according to them). I had that problem and reported it to them (I might be the reason this was incorporated). I switched back to awd and the car kept jerking and felt like I was sliding a wheel when turning. I freaked out and contacted them. They tried to convince me that the torque converter might be dying, but I knew it felt different. So I recalibrated the transfer case through ista and all was good.

This is something they didn't experience on their test cars but apparently can happen. I guess that is the risk getting a product from a smaller company that can't do very long run tests on each car. Very good that they added that. It shows that they are on top of things
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 05:50 AM   #313
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Well, it shows they are responsive.
"On top of things" is avoiding it on first place.
Hope no other, more serious surprises come up in time.

What year is your car and how many KMs does it have?
Wonder why no one else has complained about it yet.
      10-29-2019, 07:00 AM   #314
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuttana View Post
Assuming that it flashes back to the original xDrive map, but not sure.

According to the XDelete developers it is not the same software. Even when you go back to XDrive you keep on running XDelete, just in AWD mode. They claim however it is exactly the same ruleset as stock, so the car should behave as stock. I wonder to what extent that is true, as it was again the XDelete guyzs that claimed that there are differences in XDelete from model to model or even from engine to engine within the same model...

Please keep us posted whether you notice any difference in XDrive from before (stock).
      10-29-2019, 07:24 AM   #315
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post

My 435d is late 2015 with 64000 miles on the clock.

The car drives the same for the last 2000 miles
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 07:39 AM   #316
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks.
When you say "the same", do you mean the same as pre-XDelete (no noticable issues) or....? Are you driving in Xdrive now?
      10-29-2019, 07:56 AM   #317
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Thanks.
When you say "the same", do you mean the same as pre-XDelete (no noticable issues) or....? Are you driving in Xdrive now?
I am with drive now enabled through xdelete. No difference noticed between Bmw drive and xdelete xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 08:06 AM   #318
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:

No one else has complained because he's the only one with the problem.

If people had issues, they would complain like no other.
      11-01-2019, 02:24 PM   #319
JaxD
Probably fixing some broken shit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xdrive

So I purchased xdelete and am attempting to flash on a 2013 bmw 335i xdrive with a manual transmission using a galaxy s10+ with the obd2 to ethernet option and keep hitting an error on "preparing vgs" I've tried every solution under the sun with no luck, xdelete support has been slow getting back to me, anyone else been having this problem and found a workaround?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 09:27 PM   #320
ali820
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 335i MPE 6sp Suzuka Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxD View Post
So I purchased xdelete and am attempting to flash on a 2013 bmw 335i xdrive with a manual transmission using a galaxy s10+ with the obd2 to ethernet option and keep hitting an error on "preparing vgs" I've tried every solution under the sun with no luck, xdelete support has been slow getting back to me, anyone else been having this problem and found a workaround?
Make sure you have the latest version of the app installed and cycle your ignition on/off. Also, airplane mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 06:55 AM   #321
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali820 View Post
Make sure you have the latest version of the app installed and cycle your ignition on/off. Also, airplane mode.
Wouldn't airplane mode disable the nic? I mean, literally tcp/ip. You may want to look it up.

Seems like 4 people have it working, 3 people don't. 4 people may not have a warranty later on, too.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 09:54 AM   #322
ali820
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 335i MPE 6sp Suzuka Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali820 View Post
Wouldn't airplane mode disable the nic? I mean, literally tcp/ip. You may want to look it up.

Seems like 4 people have it working, 3 people don't. 4 people may not have a warranty later on, too.
It's literally right there in the instructions. Just gotta read 'em
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 02:19 PM   #323
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

I reckon it's been long enough that plenty of members have tried x-delete.

Any thoughts on 30+ hp gain? This seems so far fetched it makes me question the legitimacy of the app to be honest.

And I definitely want to know how to flash back to stock xdrive, not x-deletes version of x-drive, I never thought of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1876.00
      11-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #324
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post

Any thoughts on 30+ hp gain? This seems so far fetched it makes me question the legitimacy of the app to be honest.

And I definitely want to know how to flash back to stock xdrive, not x-deletes version of x-drive, I never thought of that.
Couldn't agree more with all of it!

My thoughts:

User experience: I suspect most who tried it went back to XDrive for the winter. Long-term experience is probably not to be expected before next summer.

hp gain: unrealistic for any noticeable increase. Someone already provided a good explanation why you may observe some gain on a stand. IF there was an undoubtedly verifiable gain, be sure that XDelete would be writing it with big letters multiple times on every page of the brochure, as this is a powerful selling argument... Make up your own mind why they are not advertising with that...

X-Delete XDrive: This is currently a big showstopper IMO. Somewhere in their (quite chaotic and ambiguous) paperwork, XDelete themselves stated that XDrive varies not only between models, but even within the same model, between engine types. I don't know if that is true, but if it is, than how can the XDelete's XDrive not be (potentially) different from stock!?

I must admit I might be willing to give it a try but only if I can revert back to Stock.
      11-13-2019, 09:20 PM   #325
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post

Couldn't agree more with all of it!

My thoughts:

User experience: I suspect most who tried it went back to XDrive for the winter. Long-term experience is probably not to be expected before next summer.

hp gain: unrealistic for any noticeable increase. Someone already provided a good explanation why you may observe some gain on a stand. IF there was an undoubtedly verifiable gain, be sure that XDelete would be writing it with big letters multiple times on every page of the brochure, as this is a powerful selling argument... Make up your own mind why they are not advertising with that...

X-Delete XDrive: This is currently a big showstopper IMO. Somewhere in their (quite chaotic and ambiguous) paperwork, XDelete themselves stated that XDrive varies not only between models, but even within the same model, between engine types. I don't know if that is true, but if it is, than how can the XDelete's XDrive not be (potentially) different from stock!?

I must admit I might be willing to give it a try but only if I can revert back to Stock.
It's called backing, up and altering code. All of it is versioned. Bootmod3, MHD, all doe the same thing. It's not as if any of these tuners write the tune from scratch. It's always just passing different arguments to existing code. Existing code that BMW wrote. Please stop the fear mongering.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 01:08 AM   #326
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Don't assume, inform yourself first! See what XDelete are stating. They state no backing up. It is an XDelete Xdrive mode.
If I am wrong - let me be proven wrong, I'd be happy to. I'm only stating what's already on their facebook page.

Apart from that - feel free to do whatever you want on your car with or without thinking, as you can and prefer. Let others think for themselves however.

Last edited by Skyhigh; 11-14-2019 at 02:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 12:03 PM   #327
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Don't assume, inform yourself first! See what XDelete are stating. They state no backing up. It is an XDelete Xdrive mode.
If I am wrong - let me be proven wrong, I'd be happy to. I'm only stating what's already on their facebook page.

Apart from that - feel free to do whatever you want on your car with or without thinking, as you can and prefer. Let others think for themselves however.
No assumptions are being made. Even if they don't provide a backup to the user, their "tune" uses the stock code as a base and builds on top of that. I am a software engineer.

They would not build the protocols or module code that reads sensors, bmw has already done that. Any of these tuners simply change what the bmw code expects from certain sensors. "Hey DME don't close the wastegate until this LOAD READING" or "keep dumping fuel until you reach this AFR". All they are changing is the load reading or AFR to expect.

For Xdelete it's simply "dont close this clutch" in the transfer case" or "don't send torque to these wheels even though these other wheels are slipping this %". For comparison a JB4 will spoof the values some sensors are reading.

You don't need to propagate your own fears to everyone else becuase YOU can't grasp readily available information, or do your own research. Xdelete is a proven application installed on thousands of cars for several years.

You sound like the religious zealot clamoring about the world's end in a subway stop.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 2
      11-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #328
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Your profession at least explains the 2-dimensional thinking...
Whilst you still make pure assumptions, they are not unreasonable. The question you are clearly failing to ask yourself however is WHERE the source data is coming from (not your problem as a software engineer, right?).

Option 1: It is downloaded from the subject vehicle, modified and compiled in real time and overwritten on the controller

Option 2: It has been extracted from any random F3x 2 years ago, modified by XDelete and all you do is overwrite your stock SW (which may very well deviate from the one XDelete based theirs on)

Now you tell me, as a SW engineer, which of the 2 options is more likely, given that the whole procedure is done via any commercial smartphone within minutes!?

And I quote XDelete again that there are differences in XDrive's distribution (ruleset) even within one model, depending on the engine. (I personally don't know if that is true)

Once again - never assume! If you call yourself an engineer, the only assumption you should ever make is that you do not know everything. That will always be a correct one.

And last but not least - I was actually responding to the "fears" a.k.a. as thoughts of another user here. Your opinion and assumptions are well noted.

Last edited by Skyhigh; 11-14-2019 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 08:13 PM   #329
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

You are asinine.
Appreciate 1
kern4174445.00
      11-15-2019, 08:34 AM   #330
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Skyhigh - I come to Bimmerpost to hear from members on experiences with various 3rd party applications - in this case X-delete. "Researching" what the vendor claims are not why I'm here. Of course I will cross-examine my findings on Bimmerpost with my own experience as well as research the vendors info. Thanks for your concern though mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0