F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > TPMS Problem
proTUNING Freaks

07-27-2020, 10:44 AM   #1
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d xDrive M Sport

Garage List
TPMS Problem

I've got a late-2014 F31 Touring xDrive, RHD UK model, with the TPMS RDCi monitoring where it shows true pressure & temperature in the iDrive.

Over the last few months the car has been periodically failing to read the pressures and throwing up faults. It's now almost constant... works maybe 5% of the time or less.

I suspected it was the receiver module as it does it with both my winter and summer wheels, so it's not just a valve battery that's died.

Normally the RDC module is located on the fuel tank, and I was going to replace that part, but on my car there is nothing there.

I believe they switched to DSC Mk100 in March 2014, where the RDCi (i for integrated?) TPMS module might be part of that?

Any idea if that is definitely the case, and how much it might cost to change.

I got BimmerLink on it, and it threw up the following fault codes for Dynamic Stability Control:
4806DA - RDCi wheel electronics front right no reception
4806B8 - RDCi front left wheel electronics no reception
48069E - RDCi calibration wheel recognition not possible

Sometimes it will all work fine for 5-10 minutes, temperature and pressures visible on iDrive, and then you get the warning chime as it drops out again.

My progress thread
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 12:14 PM   #2
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Where I EXPECTED the RDC TPMS module to be... on the fuel tank.

It's not there...

DSC Mk100 in the engine bay...

Control unit attached to DCS

My progress thread
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 08:26 AM   #3
Captain Awesome
Rep
Drives: 435d F33

For info i have the exact same problem on a 2015 f33 uk model.

iDrive is showing all for wheels are low pressure, manually checked and recalibrated several times but no success.

Would be interested to know what the solution is.

I've check under the car, there is no module like this anywhere near the fuel tank.

The parts list on realoem (for my car) shows RCDI module on each wheel but i cant find any reference to an antenna or receiver anywhere

Also the abs module specs don't say anything about RCD module / sensor / receiver etc.

Is this suggesting the receiver is in the instrument panel or entertainment system etc?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 08:27 AM   #4
Captain Awesome
Rep
Drives: 435d F33

Also would love to understand the difference between RDC and RCDi.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 09:59 AM   #5
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

Yeah, after March 2014, BMW integrated the RDC into the DSC MK100 module. So it’s no longer a separate component.

To the OP, sure sounds to me like your TPM sensor batteries are what’s failing. You’re likely going on 5+years now, right?. Mine died after 5 years, and needed replacement.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 10:03 AM   #6
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
Yeah, after March 2014, BMW integrated the RDC into the DSC MK100 module. So it's no longer a separate component.

To the OP, sure sounds to me like your TPM sensor batteries are what's failing. You're likely going on 5+years now, right?. Mine died after 5 years, and needed replacement.
5 years yes.

But the winter wheels which were new package from BMW in 2018 are not.

Even if the TPMS sensors in the wheels are older than 2 years, when they wheels are stacked in a warehouse they're dormant and using virtually zero energy. Only when it moves do they wake up. And they go back into a dormant mode when not moving for long periods.

So I was not expecting it to be dead batteries in both sets of wheels at pretty much the same time. Possible, but highly unlikely I thought.

I'm getting one sensor changed in summer wheels to see if that fixes it. Then will investigate the codes when I refit the winter wheels.

My progress thread
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 10:56 AM   #7
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

Yeah, if your winters are from 2018, and also doing this, it’s likely to be more than failing TPM sensors/batteries.
      12-08-2020, 06:08 AM   #8
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I have the same issue and I'm trying to solve it. Have made some head-way but still have a bit to do.

Full details here: TMPS Failure TSB
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 07:51 AM   #9
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
FIXED THE TPMS.

So yesterday I picked up a replacement FBD-3 (TPMS Receiver) module for the car, and today I fitted it.

Background -

Intermittent RDCi Fault with summer wheels, consistently Front Left. Since spring 2020.
Replaced valve & sensor, didn't fix it.
Switching front wheels to opposite sides and still Front Left.
Constant RDCi Fault with winter wheels, Position Unkown. Since last winter 2019/20.

The replacement module has fixed the problem, but until I go a few weeks/months without the fault reappearing I'm not going to be fully confident it is completely fixed. But it's a good start.

Plug & Play, no coding required. Just a RDCi reset through the Vehicle Status menu.

New part number on the box (9626113), old part number on the module (9319081)
Attached Images

My progress thread
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2021, 12:19 PM   #10
jm84
Registered
Rep
Drives: f30

receiver location

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBri89 View Post
FIXED THE TPMS.

So yesterday I picked up a replacement FBD-3 (TPMS Receiver) module for the car, and today I fitted it.

Background -

Intermittent RDCi Fault with summer wheels, consistently Front Left. Since spring 2020.
Constant RDCi Fault with winter wheels, Position Unkown. Since last winter 2019/20.

The replacement module has fixed the problem, but until I go a few weeks/months without the fault reappearing I'm not going to be fully confident it is completely fixed. But it's a good start.

Plug & Play, no coding required. Just a RDCi reset through the Vehicle Status menu.

Hi, I just read that you changed the receiver for a new one, I have the same fault in my f30 .... could you tell me where the receiver was located? because neither did my car find it in the fuel tank ...
thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 12:28 PM   #11
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm84 View Post

Hi, I just read that you changed the receiver for a new one, I have the same fault in my f30 .... could you tell me where the receiver was located? because neither did my car find it in the fuel tank ...
thanks
I've tagged you in another thread. I think that should help with your F30, as I believe it's a different location to the F31.

My progress thread
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 12:16 PM   #12
jm84
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbri89 View Post
i've tagged you in another thread. I think that should help with your f30, as i believe it's a different location to the f31.
okay. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 07:53 AM   #13
Supermate
Registered
Ireland
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm84 View Post
okay. Thanks
Hi could you tell me where the receiver is located in the f30. Tia
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 10:30 AM   #14
jm84
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermate View Post
Hi could you tell me where the receiver is located in the f30. Tia
Hello, finally the problem in my car was the rim sensor ... my research on this issue is that the receiver is integrated in the ABS module ... or at least I think so ...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 04:24 AM   #15
Nodrog29
Lover of fast estate cars
Rep
Drives: G21 LCI M340i (due Sept 22)

Quote:
FIXED THE TPMS.

Background -

How did you get on in the long term, was the module the cause? I've got exactly the same Fault codes on my F31 LCI and same symptoms. It says DSC on the module but assuming it is shared with the RDS?

I've checked the module and other than some different numbers possibly due to MY it looks the same. The module you have from the box looks slightly different from the picture under the bonnet is that just because it's taken from the other side?

TIA for any help and for posting this as it could avoid me paying out £300 for 4 wheel sensors
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 04:37 AM   #16
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easty29 View Post
How did you get on in the long term, was the module the cause? I've got exactly the same Fault codes on my F31 LCI and same symptoms. It says DSC on the module but assuming it is shared with the RDS?

I've checked the module and other than some different numbers possibly due to MY it looks the same. The module you have from the box looks slightly different from the picture under the bonnet is that just because it's taken from the other side?

TIA for any help and for posting this as it could avoid me paying out £300 for 4 wheel sensors
So even now it's working perfectly since replacing the module. It completely fixed the problem.

It's NOT anything in the engine bay though. Completely ignore any reference to the DSC or anything like that.

In the F31, the RDCi module is on the drivers side in the boot, basically underneath the air vent for the boot side window. It's the 433kHz receiver that also does the remote central locking. (Different frequency for comfort access/keyless entry)

Need to remove the carpet trim, c-pillar, some plastic trim pieces, and it is located there.
Pretty much above the fuel filler cap, but inside the car.

If you can access it and get the part number which is on the sticker, then BMW can tell you what the new part is and order one.
It was about £70, plug & play. Not sure if cost has gone up due Brexit import costs etc.

My progress thread
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 06:47 AM   #17
Nodrog29
Lover of fast estate cars
Rep
Drives: G21 LCI M340i (due Sept 22)

Quote:
So even now it's working perfectly since replacing the module. It completely fixed the problem.

It's NOT anything in the engine bay though. Completely ignore any reference to the DSC or anything like that.

In the F31, the RDCi module is on the drivers side in the boot, basically underneath the air vent for the boot side window. It's the 433kHz receiver that also does the remote central locking. (Different frequency for comfort access/keyless entry)

Need to remove the carpet trim, c-pillar, some plastic trim pieces, and it is located there.
Pretty much above the fuel filler cap, but inside the car.

If you can access it and get the part number which is on the sticker, then BMW can tell you what the new part is and order one.
It was about £70, plug & play. Not sure if cost has gone up due Brexit import costs etc.
Absolute legend thanks I think I'm familiar with the area from doing a tow bar retrofit. There's a stack of modules there and I've had the whole trim out before to route cables etc. I've already called BMW and like you say it's around £70 which is a drop in the ocean as far as modules go. If all goes well I'll add my experiences here to show if this is a common fault. Without your post I doubt I'd have come across this before I'd paid out £75 per sensor as the codes suggested.
Appreciate 1
BBri89515.50
      06-28-2021, 06:33 AM   #18
Tony Purdie
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

I also had the exact same problem as BBri89 on my F31.

With his help I finally located and changed the module - under £70 and its now run perfectly for months.

If you need any pointers to removing the trim just let me know as I've had it all apart very recently.
Appreciate 2
BBri89515.50
      07-23-2021, 10:41 AM   #19
turbo63
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i

So I have a 2014 F30 June with an N22.

I can't find my sensor as well and have a TPMS failure and it isn't the tire sensors as I had those checked.

So is my sensor really part of the master cylinder and going to be a thousand-dollar fix, or is it somewhere else like in the F31 post?
Is this correct?
and the above guys part number correct?

I have no problem doing the work, but don't want to invest so much into a part, especially when I plan on selling it soon.

Lastly any ideas on if this could be tripped up by a car battery that probably needs to be changed as well? Voltage looks good on my reader but I didn't turn the car completely off the other day and needed a jump way earlier than I thought I should. I know low voltage causes issues in these cars.

Thanks!
Kevin

Last edited by turbo63; 07-23-2021 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 04:48 PM   #20
R2Dad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 328d Sedan

No TPMS on Spare?
Sorry if I should post to a new thread, have a question.
BTW, I've recently purchased new Michelin tires from Tire Rack and just now got a spare wheel--which leads me to my (potential) problem.
I got rid of the runflats, am on my second set of of Michelin 225/45ZR-18 pilot sport AS tires--very happy with the performance, durability, lack of noise, softer ride. Couldn't be happier. But I have a couple long trips coming up so got (also from tire rack) a spare wheel for one of my old tires.
Question: will the TPMS inside the "dead" tire/wheel, presumably swapped and in the back of my car, impede operation of the spare tire that does NOT have a TPMS in it? In other words, must I get a spare TPMS for the spare tire/wheel as well?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 05:10 PM   #21
JLStock
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 428i XDrive

Garage List
I just want to verify something before I see dealer again. I had new tires put on, getting TPS fault on iDrive. Took car back to place that put tires on. They had a reader they put on each valve stem, said right rear was not reading signal. I bought a new sensor.
I am having oil changed at Toyota dealer. (Our local BMW dealer has no competition and they are rude, slow unresponsive and incredibly over priced and I know the mechanic at Toyota very well but he is out for a bit)
Both Toyota and a Ford dealer said they can’t replace TPS in wheel because they can’t program it to the car. I explained that it should be plug and play. They disagreed.
Just want to verify that when I replace the TPS or TPM that the car will read the signal without re-programming.
Thank you for your time
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 05:28 PM   #22
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I believe if it is the correct TPMS valve, it should be plug & play with only an iDrive reset required, no coding.

But can't say with absolute certainty.

I have winter wheels with TPMS that were brand new BMW items (as a complete tyre/wheel/TPMS package) on a used car, and they required no coding, only fitting to the car and an iDrive reset. So I can't see why the correct valve wouldn't work the same way.

My progress thread
Appreciate 0