F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > R&T pits the 340i against the Jaguar XE
Studio RSR

12-15-2016, 02:50 PM   #45
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
They tested the car provided by Jaguar.
Well of course that's likely true.

However, that doesn't change the truth that this is not an equal comparison of like for like.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 03:50 PM   #46
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Well of course that's likely true.

However, that doesn't change the truth that this is not an equal comparison of like for like.
This is true of course but there's nothing R & T could do about this. There is a MT (I think it's MT) review of the 340 and RWD XE.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #47
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
You must have read a different article than the one listed above.

The BMW, in this article, gets the negative about being somewhat not "joyful" or happy or lively doing what it's doing.
And, of course the negative about the steering that plagues the F30.

Other than that the handling of that 340i is quite lauded in the article.
It seems you missed that.
Yes, the Jag is applauded for lively and fun handling, but it's also described as not being able to "hold a line" or carve neatly around a curve, and there is a feeling of the suspension possibly not being able to handle what the driver wants. This is even with the superior tires on the Jag.

I will say this though, I am not a fan of comparing different drive trains if or when the cars being compared may not be at their best given a particular drive train.
By that I mean, the best handling Audi is one with quattro AWD, so a RWD BMW can be properly compared to a quattro Audi.
An unequal and un-telling comparison would be to compare an AWD BMW Xi with a FWD Volvo or Audi for example.
Not the same drive train setup and not comparable.

Here we have the AWD version of the XE against a RWD track-pack 3 series.
If the AWD XE is the best handling type of XE, then yes I can see comparing it to a RWD 3 series. But, I'll bet the best handling XE is the RWD, just as the best handling 3 series is the RWD.
Yeah, I know, you Xi drivers may want to jump up and attack and administer retributive verbiage via your sharp keyboard skills, but a RWD BMW is what BMW is about. That is my experience and opinion, and my opinion is better than yours.
AWD Xi is a very good AWD system, but even BMW won't put a proper sport suspension on an Xi 3 series.

So my point is that this comparison gives us some insight to the different aspects of each car, but it should be RWD vs RWD or AWD vs AWD for a closer and thus better comparison.

Also, the transmissions are not even the same so they couldn't be directly compared either, other than by the reviewers recall of driving such cars.

It's interesting that the Jag's paddle shifters seem to be kind of weak and cheap given that the AT doesn't even have a proper drive gear selector but a STUPID rotating knob by which to do so.
PLEASE BMW do NOT abandon a proper gear select lever for the future AT equipped cars. iDrive is fantastic for scrolling through information on the screen, but it should NOT be used to select drive gear.
Jag made two mistakes it appears. They don't have a proper select lever AND the paddles are crap. Not good as those are things drivers physically connect with when driving.
That's almost as bad as BMW leaving out the amazing steering feel their cars used to have.
I know when I'm out gunned.
      02-15-2017, 01:51 PM   #48
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

2 things:
- I hate paddle shifters. Just so you know. The rotary shift knob is a deal killer for me.

- Jag announced an XE S version with 380 HP
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...80-horsepower/
Appreciate 0