F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N55 Cylinder Head
GetBMWParts

09-27-2018, 08:02 PM   #1
Emre Turk
Registered
Rep
Drives: 06 530i

N55 Cylinder Head

I Just Bought A 2016 435xi With The N55 Engine, I Need A New Cylinder Head... Will A Cylinder Head From Any N55 Fit?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 08:42 AM   #2
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Realoem.com is your friend. Put your car's information into it and you will be able to find the part number for your car's cylinder head. If you are pulling the head from another car, put that car's information in and find its part number. Or just search google for your head's part number preceded by "BMW".
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 08:51 AM   #3
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Is it still under warranty how many miles? Unless it had a jb4 or pure turbo installed! A closed deck B58 May have prevented this.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 10:09 AM   #4
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre Turk View Post
I Just Bought A 2016 435xi With The N55 Engine, I Need A New Cylinder Head... Will A Cylinder Head From Any N55 Fit?
Why do you need a new cylinder head on a 2016 car? It should be covered under warranty. The dealer will take care of it.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 11:12 PM   #5
BMWgavin07
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i

2015 BMW 435i N55. Had a misfire P0301 so cylinder 1. Went to Replace coils and spark plugs in all 6, when i got to cylinder 6 coil was covered in oil with oil sitting on top of spark plug… also cylinder 6 had a felt like tape in the spark plug well (pictured below). Went to clean out the oil in cylinder 6 spark plug well and in doing so I ripped the tape that was in the well revealing a quarter sized hole in the well (pictured below). First wondering how the hole happened (also it has been like this for at least 2 years (i bought car july 2021 and this first time i pulled coils) and also wondering what kind of tape they used to be able to withstand the 240 degree oil temps with hundreds on heat cycles. Has anyone ever seen this? i’ve talked to multiple BMW tech friends and they’ve never seen anything like it. Any advice on how to fix or i imagine best option is just replacing the whole head since there a huge hole in it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 04:42 AM   #6
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWgavin07 View Post
2015 BMW 435i N55. Had a misfire P0301 so cylinder 1. Went to Replace coils and spark plugs in all 6, when i got to cylinder 6 coil was covered in oil with oil sitting on top of spark plug… also cylinder 6 had a felt like tape in the spark plug well (pictured below). Went to clean out the oil in cylinder 6 spark plug well and in doing so I ripped the tape that was in the well revealing a quarter sized hole in the well (pictured below). First wondering how the hole happened (also it has been like this for at least 2 years (i bought car july 2021 and this first time i pulled coils) and also wondering what kind of tape they used to be able to withstand the 240 degree oil temps with hundreds on heat cycles. Has anyone ever seen this? i’ve talked to multiple BMW tech friends and they’ve never seen anything like it. Any advice on how to fix or i imagine best option is just replacing the whole head since there a huge hole in it.
That entire box the coil fits into is replaceable. 4 bolts once the valve cover is off. It's really easy. It isn't a mated part so any plug box from a junkyard will work
Appreciate 1
Burnout25.50
      02-06-2024, 07:02 AM   #7
Burnout
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: previously an E39 528i, now an

Garage List
2014 F30 335xi   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1Z24 View Post
That entire box the coil fits into is replaceable. 4 bolts once the valve cover is off. It's really easy. It isn't a mated part so any plug box from a junkyard will work
Indeed there’s DIY videos that show removal of these, I believe they’re referred to as “injector wells” or “buckets” of which there are 3 on the N55

I had seen it in eccentric shaft replacement videos, this one should help, at around the 10 min mark he removes the “buckets” so everything before that would show you the process you’d need to follow to DIY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWRi...H-BJACAQ%3D%3D
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 11:56 AM   #8
yupetc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 X535i

Pretty much exchangeable for all N55 cylinder heads. I've done a handful of N55 builds so far and from E-chassis to F-chassis, they are all exchangeable. But like all others are saying, your best bet is to go to RealOEM and find the closest match first. And if you can't find the exact match, then branch out from there, try to source one from your chassis generation because there is one slight variation on some very old N55 cylinder heads where the injector hold down bracket appears to be a different design. Other than that, I haven't come across a real distinctly differetiated N55 head.

When you're sourcing for the head, make sure to check where the rectangring rubs, a lot of heads are toast due to that ring land, and that'll cause a leak in the oil pressure for VANOS to work properly.

The head will usually come with the intake camshaft caps, if your caps are scratched up pretty badly, then on the one you're sourcing, try to see if you can assess those caps' conditions. The N55 intake camshaft is pushed away from the Valvetronic system and therefore some excessive wear resides there on those caps.

Last thing, check the peripheral hardware that comes with the head. If you're keeping your own valvetronic gears, that'll likely be fine. But if you're going to use any of the parts from the new head, make sure to check the roller drag levers, those have a number on there and it dictates how your idle speed will be.
Appreciate 0