F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > F34 M sport interior silver trim looking rough
GetBMWParts

06-24-2020, 10:15 AM   #1
bnsparker
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i GT xdrive and 20

F34 M sport interior silver trim looking rough

I bought a used 2016 328i GT with the M sport package and I love the look except for the light silver interior trim looks rough in mine. It's flat instead of glossy and I guess the previous owner was rough on the inside so it's all scratched up and looks bad especially around the gear shift. Has anybody switched out or replaced the interior trim pieces (around gear shift, one on each interior handle, and the piece below the dash). If so, where can I find them and what color/look did you go with? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 03:29 PM   #2
Torquey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i GT | 550i 6MT

Wrapping it with some sort of carbon fiber vinyl seems to be the popular choice and also cost effective. I have the same 'brushed aluminium' trim and like it... seems to brighten up the otherwise dark black interior.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 11:56 PM   #3
bnsparker
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquey View Post
Wrapping it with some sort of carbon fiber vinyl seems to be the popular choice and also cost effective. I have the same 'brushed aluminium' trim and like it... seems to brighten up the otherwise dark black interior.
I would like it if it wasn't so scratched up. The previous owner must've been super hard on it for it to look so bad in mine.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 11:59 PM   #4
bnsparker
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquey View Post
Thanks. I will google wrapping it. I wouldn't mind replacing it with it the same (but new) if I could find it. I've looked online but I can only find the pieces in a dark grey carbon set.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 03:36 PM   #5
rambleon84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 f34 GT 2013 Focus ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnsparker View Post
Thanks. I will google wrapping it. I wouldn't mind replacing it with it the same (but new) if I could find it. I've looked online but I can only find the pieces in a dark grey carbon set.
some people have gotten some nice results wrapping, you can wrap in pretty much any look you want too:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site....com+trim+wrap

just have to do a bit of DIY and practice to get it shaped/stretched/trimmed right
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2020, 12:57 PM   #6
Firemah
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i GT

Carbon fiber cover is an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnsparker View Post
I bought a used 2016 328i GT with the M sport package and I love the look except for the light silver interior trim looks rough in mine. It's flat instead of glossy and I guess the previous owner was rough on the inside so it's all scratched up and looks bad especially around the gear shift. Has anybody switched out or replaced the interior trim pieces (around gear shift, one on each interior handle, and the piece below the dash). If so, where can I find them and what color/look did you go with? Thanks
I just ordered a carbon fiber cover. Much easier to install and more durable than vinyl. http://i.refs.cc/DB3HWtvV?smile_ref=...pudWxsfQ%3D%3D
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2020, 02:02 PM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

With practice there's almost nothing that you can't wrap.
https://billfitzmaurice.info/images/BMW/Console.jpg

If you get tired of it or it wears you can remove it and do it again.
Appreciate 2
f34guy10.00
      07-12-2020, 11:09 AM   #8
F34_Crew
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i GT xDrive

Just did the carbon fiber wrap... It wasn't as hard as I thought and just a little took time to do, so its was as perfect as possible..

My fingers hurt quite a bit after and I'd say it took me 5 hours of actual work total. Very forgiving material makes it a breeze...

Hate to admit, but I found a quality roll at Autozone and bought 2. I don't normally condone any kind of AZ materials but its consistent and available if anything happens. I didn't want to wait for shipping and was bored... Very happy with the results..... Zero air bubbles but a little bit of delam* around the driver side air vent which just needs to be hit with some more heat....

Good luck... Again, looks rad!!!! Impressed with the upgrade..... I tried to get the direction of the Carbon Fiber to match as much as possible. Play with it before applying it to have things look semi-uniform.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 11:17 AM   #9
MSVECH
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

you can try a polish such as meguiars 205 on a microfiber towel and lightly rub, see what happens
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2020, 04:11 PM   #10
mzyza6
Registered
Rep
Drives: F34 320i Xdrive N20

Mine was looking rough too wrapped in carbon fibre now super easy to do and loads of tutorials online. If you need advice let me know
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2020, 05:31 PM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Tutorials I've seen don't mention what I've found to be the best heating method. I set my low power heat gun in a bracket atop my work bench, and leave it running. I hold the work in one hand, wave it across the heat stream to get the wrap just warm enough to stretch, then use the other hand to stretch it into place. I work very small sections, no more than a couple of inches. This is much faster and works better than holding the work in one hand, the heat gun in the other, then putting the heat gun down before you can do the stretching.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2022, 02:00 AM   #12
SupremeF34
I make videos for all things F34 !
Rep
Drives: ’18 F34 340i GT

I’ve had my trim replaced by the dealer…if you look on the inside of the door panel specifically, the trim is plastic welded from the back. Check out the images of the part below. You basically have to melt the tabs down from the inside to the door panel to mount the strip in place. As for the bottom part of the trim piece on the dash, I do not believe that BMW makes that part separately from the upper piece and is imagine it would be much easier to buy a new one than trying to unclip those two pcs.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...uine-bmw-part/
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2022, 08:46 AM   #13
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0