F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Bilstein B16 "Komfort" or standards for F32?
Studio RSR

10-02-2019, 02:43 PM   #1
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Bilstein B16 "Komfort" or standards for F32?

Hey yall

I am working on a suspension upgrade for my F32, that still has the oem non-adaptive "sport", now at 66k miles.

Bilstein has two different sets of B16 kits, one "Komfort" and the other standard, with a difference in lowering height 10mm-30mm vs 30mm-50mm.

I also found the info below on the two kits, which is a big difference in "spring rate".

the Komfort kit is in stock, the standard may be another 3 months (which they have been telling me for 1.5 years) and the price is the same.

Should I go with the Komfort? Wait for the standard? Is it worth it? I dont know enough to judge here.

48-229012
Front Main Spring E4-FD1-Y244B00
Front Main Spring Rate (kgf/mm) 5.1
Front Main Spring Rate (lbs/in) 289
Front Main Spring Type Progressive
Rear Main Spring E4-FD1-Y245B00
Rear Main Spring Rate (kgf/mm) 7.6
Rear Main Spring Rate (lbs/in) 428
Rear Main Spring Type Progressive

48-217170
Front Main Spring E4-FD1-Y226B00
Front Main Spring Rate (kgf/mm) 7.2
Front Main Spring Rate (lbs/in) 399.98
Front Main Spring Type Progressive
Rear Main Spring E4-FD1-Y183B00
Rear Main Spring Rate (kgf/mm) 10.1
Rear Main Spring Rate (lbs/in) 565.69
Rear Main Spring Type Progressive
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 04:09 PM   #2
CrushJelly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M140i

Only you can answer that question.

What do you want from the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahjaman View Post
Only you can answer that question.

What do you want from the car?
Great question.. improvement over what I have now, better handling, and what should be about a right timed lifecycle refresh. That said, trying to figure out if I should wait for the stiffer, lower kit.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 04:57 AM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

If daily driving comfort is one of the higher priorities, I suggest Komfort version. It will still be an improvement over OEM suspension.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 02:44 PM   #5
tdesanto
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435ix

Anyone have the Komfort version and care to comment on how they ride and perform? I’m looking to stiffen the stock suspension on my F32 w/o lowering much (if any) due to bi-weekly snow-covered drives to the Rocky Mountains during winter. But, I’m also looking to reduce body roll as much as possible when cornering quickly.

Last edited by tdesanto; 12-01-2019 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 02:57 PM   #6
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdesanto View Post
Anyone have the Komfort version and care to comment on how the ride and perform? I’m looking to stiffen the stock suspension on my F32 w/o lowering much (if any) due to bi-weekly snow-covered drives to the Rocky Mountains during winter. But, I’m also looking to reduce body roll as much as possible when cornering quickly.
I went ahead and got the "comfort" kit and am very pleased so far. There is a significant reduction in body roll and I like the ability to adjust dampening, which makes a huge difference. My height drop is moderate considering I have a very steep driveway, so brought it down a little but not a lot.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 03:25 PM   #7
tdesanto
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
I went ahead and got the "comfort" kit and am very pleased so far. There is a significant reduction in body roll and I like the ability to adjust dampening, which makes a huge difference. My height drop is moderate considering I have a very steep driveway, so brought it down a little but not a lot.
Awesome. Glad you like it, and it’s great to hear from someone who actually has it installed.

I’ve read more than once regarding some of Bilstein’s other setups that they compress too quickly when hitting bumps at speed. Any thoughts on how well your suspension absorbs rough roads without compressing to the bump stops?

Do you remember what settings you chose for the dampers? I am very interested in this setup vs. the KW Street Comforts due to the fact that the rear shocks are more easily adjustable due to the location of the adjustment dial.

Thanks for the feedback!
      11-01-2019, 10:23 AM   #8
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Awesome. Glad you like it, and it’s great to hear from someone who actually has it installed.

I’ve read more than once regarding some of Bilstein’s other setups that they compress too quickly when hitting bumps at speed. Any thoughts on how well your suspension absorbs rough roads without compressing to the bump stops?

Do you remember what settings you chose for the dampers? I am very interested in this setup vs. the KW Street Comforts due to the fact that the rear shocks are more easily adjustable due to the location of the adjustment dial.

Thanks for the feedback!
I am running 5 on the front and 4 on the back based on recommendations right now.

I came from non adjustable OEM "sport" suspension with 66k miles on them.

I notice bumps, dips, etc on the road feel a little sharper, the initial bump feeling is harder or a little even harsher now. That said, the rebound is almost gone. there are several large dip then BUMP!! spots on my local highway. The OEM would dip then really rebound on the bump that I would stay closely on the controls each time.

I hit both of those spots as a test recently, also not cheating right or left to minimize the road imperfection as I normal do. The initial dip feels slightly less then the rebound itself is almost gone, where I would get that big body pitch up feeling. Significantly better.

There is also a local offramp with a 90 degree 5mph right turn in and merge at the bottom. I swing left and dive into the apex all the time, but notice any left (turning in right) body pitch seems gone. The car feels flat which is amazing. The struts along with all the other suspension improvements I have done, have made a huuuuuuge difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:15 PM   #9
tdesanto
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am running 5 on the front and 4 on the back based on recommendations right now.

I notice bumps, dips, etc on the road feel a little sharper, the initial bump feeling is harder or a little even harsher now. That said, the rebound is almost gone. there are several large dip then BUMP!! spots on my local highway. The OEM would dip then really rebound on the bump that I would stay closely on the controls each time.

I hit both of those spots as a test recently, also not cheating right or left to minimize the road imperfection as I normal do. The initial dip feels slightly less then the rebound itself is almost gone, where I would get that big body pitch up feeling. Significantly better.

There is also a local offramp with a 90 degree 5mph right turn in and merge at the bottom. I swing left and dive into the apex all the time, but notice any left (turning in right) body pitch seems gone. The car feels flat which is amazing. The struts along with all the other suspension improvements I have done, have made a huuuuuuge difference.
Thank you for the input! Sorry I'm so late in replying...I don't remember getting a notification of any replies. Just so I can get a better sense of how much the struts are contributing to the improvements you're noticing, what else have you done ("...along with all the other suspension improvements I have done...")

Thanks again!
      11-19-2019, 02:24 PM   #10
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for the input! Sorry I'm so late in replying...I don't remember getting a notification of any replies. Just so I can get a better sense of how much the struts are contributing to the improvements you're noticing, what else have you done ("...along with all the other suspension improvements I have done...")

Thanks again!
the struts have improved impact/rebound significantly, and body roll moderately. improved bushings and much better sways have improved body roll
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2019, 10:37 AM   #11
HybridAWD
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xDrive

Correct me if I am wrong but you're RWD and not xDrive correct?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 10:38 AM   #12
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridAWD View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but you're RWD and not xDrive correct?
correct. rwd
Appreciate 0