F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Anyone getting the new iPhone 11 or Pro?
GetBMWParts

10-18-2019, 04:10 AM   #133
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dX View Post
I have had iPhone since the 3G, that’s how intrenched in Apple I unfortunately am. I say unfortunate, but really it’s not. I currently have an IP 11 Pro Max.

This is the first time in a few years i seriously considered the Galaxy Note 10+. But there were a few things that prevented me:

The lack of Android operating system regular updates. I find this side of Apple very comforting. As soon as something needs fixing, it’s rolled out and the phone auto downloads and installs overnight for me. I have never had a Apple product say it can’t do something for me when updating!

All of the apps hit the Apple App Store first, are better and then follow on to the Google Play store.

The Google play store is no where near as secure and well policed as the Apple store. I know of friends with Android phones that have downloaded an app and then had bugs they can’t get rid of.

I do find the apple eco system far easier to navigate, probably because I have been around it for so long. I write this on an iPad Pro, I have a Mac, Apple TV yada yada....you get the picture.

A colleague at work has a Note 9 he bought 2 months ago, he regularly says: ‘this f$%king phone.’ It freezes, doesn’t do what he wants etc. He switches it off all the time to sort bugs out. I never have this problem with any of my apple stuff.

I am sure I sound like an apple fan boy, and maybe I am. But if I have a problem with an apple product, I also love the fact I can walk into Apple Milton Keynes and know I will be looked after. You can’t do that with a Samsung....the Samsung Milton Keynes store shut 3 or 4 years ago!
To be fair, I had not had anything other than Apple before this Note 8. My work phone is Apple, I have an iPad Pro. But when I was buying last time the iphone 8 didnt seem any different to my 6 but was alot more than the Note to buy (well, contract).

I havent really had any problems with the samsung (that weren't self inflicted!) and it doesnt seem that different to use. And they are cheaper to get. But, its not 2 years old and its playing up - probably my fault as its pretty beat up... so thinking of a change because I can. Camera matters - new grandson due in six weeks to join the very cute 3 year old - but beyond that I actually use it as a phone more than anything else!

I may just buy an 11 Pro outright and be done with this contracting lark...
Appreciate 1
335dX430.00
      10-18-2019, 04:17 AM   #134
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Astra Hybrid | Corsa Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
To be fair, I had not had anything other than Apple before this Note 8. My work phone is Apple, I have an iPad Pro. But when I was buying last time the iphone 8 didnt seem any different to my 6 but was alot more than the Note to buy (well, contract).

I havent really had any problems with the samsung (that weren't self inflicted!) and it doesnt seem that different to use. And they are cheaper to get. But, its not 2 years old and its playing up - probably my fault as its pretty beat up... so thinking of a change because I can. Camera matters - new grandson due in six weeks to join the very cute 3 year old - but beyond that I actually use it as a phone more than anything else!

Congrats Grandad

I would highly recommend the IP11 Pro for you then, the camera is awesome, as is the screen to view.

I can’t remember the last time I had a phone contract, I always buy them outright from Apple, flog the old one told offset the cost each year.

Sim only for EE as I live in a village and they’re the only carrier that can supply good indoor phone coverage.

All the best
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18751.50
      10-18-2019, 06:08 AM   #135
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:

Congrats Grandad

I would highly recommend the IP11 Pro for you then, the camera is awesome, as is the screen to view.

I can’t remember the last time I had a phone contract, I always buy them outright from Apple, flog the old one told offset the cost each year.

Sim only for EE as I live in a village and they’re the only carrier that can supply good indoor phone coverage.

All the best
Seconded, all of that!

Battery life is awesome as JD6 mentioned. Miles better than my IP7 or Note8.

Always buy off the shelf from Apple and have sim only deals, been doing it this way since 2012. Much cheaper and more flexible.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 2
isleaiw18751.50
335dX430.00
      10-18-2019, 06:18 AM   #136
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

OK I am swayed - will get my order in when I know which size..
Appreciate 2
335dX430.00
      10-18-2019, 07:28 AM   #137
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
OK I am swayed - will get my order in when I know which size..
Go large. Nothing else will match a M5, you can't jump out of that with a tiddler handset

One thing about it vs the Note 8...it is around the same size I think, but somehow seems slightly less cumbersome. Maybe the max is wider and shorter then the note? No longer have my Note to compare, so it could be memory playing tricks.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 07:52 AM   #138
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Go large. Nothing else will match a M5, you can't jump out of that with a tiddler handset

One thing about it vs the Note 8...it is around the same size I think, but somehow seems slightly less cumbersome. Maybe the max is wider and shorter then the note? No longer have my Note to compare, so it could be memory playing tricks.
Cheers, it cant be any longer than the Note or it wont fit in the wireless charging area in the BMW.

I am not sure I need to get a phone that matches my car given how little I drive the damn thing, especially as I am still overprotective about where I leave it.... Will a Max go ok with a 5 door Mini....?

Last edited by isleaiw1; 10-18-2019 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2019, 01:15 PM   #139
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

I got a Pro max during the week. It's excellent. Way beyond what I need but I like shiny gadgets.
Fits in the G20 wireless charger perfectly too.

Gone; F30 335dx, F30 330dx, F21 LCI 125d, F48 X1 20dx, F10 520d
Appreciate 2
isleaiw18751.50
      10-18-2019, 01:54 PM   #140
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73henny View Post
I got a Pro max during the week. It's excellent. Way beyond what I need but I like shiny gadgets.
Fits in the G20 wireless charger perfectly too.
I assume G20 and G30 are similar size...?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 02:27 PM   #141
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Quote:
I have had iPhone since the 3G, that’s how intrenched in Apple I unfortunately am. I say unfortunate, but really it’s not. I currently have an IP 11 Pro Max.

This is the first time in a few years i seriously considered the Galaxy Note 10+. But there were a few things that prevented me:

The lack of Android operating system regular updates. I find this side of Apple very comforting. As soon as something needs fixing, it’s rolled out and the phone auto downloads and installs overnight for me. I have never had a Apple product say it can’t do something for me when updating!

All of the apps hit the Apple App Store first, are better and then follow on to the Google Play store.

The Google play store is no where near as secure and well policed as the Apple store. I know of friends with Android phones that have downloaded an app and then had bugs they can’t get rid of.

I do find the apple eco system far easier to navigate, probably because I have been around it for so long. I write this on an iPad Pro, I have a Mac, Apple TV yada yada....you get the picture.

A colleague at work has a Note 9 he bought 2 months ago, he regularly says: ‘this f$%king phone.’ It freezes, doesn’t do what he wants etc. He switches it off all the time to sort bugs out. I never have this problem with any of my apple stuff.

I am sure I sound like an apple fan boy, and maybe I am. But if I have a problem with an apple product, I also love the fact I can walk into Apple Milton Keynes and know I will be looked after. You can’t do that with a Samsung....the Samsung Milton Keynes store shut 3 or 4 years ago!

Sod contracts, unless you get f&f discount. Best way now is direct from apple on 0% interest over 24 months, or on upgrade program which is more per month as it includes applecare+, but means you can walk in there 11 months later and swap it for the latest model at no cost.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 03:18 PM   #142
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

Quote:
I assume G20 and G30 are similar size...?
I'd guess so. I certainly can't see the G30 being any smaller than the G20.

Gone; F30 335dx, F30 330dx, F21 LCI 125d, F48 X1 20dx, F10 520d
Appreciate 0