F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Bimmerlink gets worse with every update
Studio RSR

10-01-2019, 04:54 AM   #1
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

Bimmerlink gets worse with every update

Did anyone notice how BimmerLink keeps declining with every update?

The latest update they removed the DPF regen status which is a highly valuable information when monitoring DPF status, etc
The sensor layout is also horrible.
The error code reading is gone super slow aswell, it almost takes 3 times longer to scan for codes in comparison to previous app updates. ( i still have an older update on my ipad which works excellent, thank god)

I tried contacting BimmerLink with no success, is there any other way to reach them for feedback?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 07:31 AM   #2
MetzgerMeister
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I've been using BimmerLink for quite some time now. It's a great app but I'm having issues with the DPF regen.

All parameters are met for a regen, I clear all error codes from Error Memory and Info Memory, request a regen (green bar appears to show it's been requested and stays there) and nothing happens. The screen freezes like that until I tap it and it brings me back to the main DPF menu showing all the readouts.

I have been in touch with BL support and am currently chatting to him about it so I don't want to wet my powder but I'm at my wits end. I'm getting the Drivetrain error on the dash because of the soot levels in the DPF but I can't get the flootering thing to regen.

I kind of agree to a certain extent that the app is declining with every update. Fully agree about the regen status, that was a very important part of it.

The main reason I bought the app was for DPF monitoring and regen.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 04:06 PM   #3
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328d Sport Line

Garage List
I appreciate you guys sharing your thoughts here. I've been using BimmerCode for the past ~18 months and have found it useful. I am debating purchasing BimmerLink - mostly for the ASD, exhaust flap, and DPF regen.

If DPF regen isn't working at this time, I'm not sure it's worth purchasing as I already use BimmerCode (and OBD Fusion).
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 06:15 PM   #4
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
I have no issues with it whatsoever. Works great just like BimmerCode.

sspade2464.50
      10-31-2019, 04:16 AM   #5
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetzgerMeister View Post
I've been using BimmerLink for quite some time now. It's a great app but I'm having issues with the DPF regen.

All parameters are met for a regen, I clear all error codes from Error Memory and Info Memory, request a regen (green bar appears to show it's been requested and stays there) and nothing happens. The screen freezes like that until I tap it and it brings me back to the main DPF menu showing all the readouts.

I have been in touch with BL support and am currently chatting to him about it so I don't want to wet my powder but I'm at my wits end. I'm getting the Drivetrain error on the dash because of the soot levels in the DPF but I can't get the flootering thing to regen.

I kind of agree to a certain extent that the app is declining with every update. Fully agree about the regen status, that was a very important part of it.

The main reason I bought the app was for DPF monitoring and regen.
The creator has taken away some very important features when it comes to DPF regeneration as thats what most people want.
If you use the Bimmercode once in a blue moon you probably wont notice any difference, but I use it all the time as I had issues with the egr and dpf so need to monitor it. The DPF regen status and back pressure has been removed in latest update and these are the key points for a regen monitoring.
If your car is refusing to regenerate, there will be a regeneration status code, and this will tell you why! But unfortunately thats the key feature the BimmerLink removed!

I will give you a list of some sensors you can monitor to see why your car isn't regenerating.
The dpf could be too full and it needs a static regen what Bimmercode cannot do. Or it needs to be taken out to be cleaned.

1.Soot level: from 0 to 35g is a normal range. If you're above that, your dpf is pretty stuffed
2. Exhaust temperature infront of the particle filter ( range above 400 means its doing a regen) normal range 200/350
3. Post Injection no 2 ( if you getting post injection of more them 8 its doing a regen)
4. Egr duty cycle ( durinf regen 0%)
5. Swirl flap motor ( during regen 5%)
6. Particle differential pressure( if its above 10/15hpa with engine off, your filter is blocked)
These are some of the sensors that might point on what is going On.

Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 04:27 AM   #6
MetzgerMeister
Private First Class
Rep

I have been in contact with the creator and he said that he will reinstate the regen status along with something I asked him for - in addition to the green bar that appears when a regen has been requested, a red bar that appears when the regen has started and stays for the duration of the regen and goes off when finished.

My soot level is currently at 62g. I know it's a lot but I've had worse and it never failed to regen. I did have connectivity issues with the VGate WiFi reader (which is no longer on the list of BC/BL suggested readers) so I bought a Veepack Bluetooth one instead which seems to have better connectivity.

The reason for my high soot levels is due to the fact that I do short journeys. Yes, I know that's not what diesels are for but being in Ireland, it was my only option at the time of purchase given that I wanted something with proper power and couldn't afford an M car.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 01:41 PM   #7
MetzgerMeister
Private First Class
Rep

So I went for a motorway spin this evening in order to try another regen. Beforehand soot was at 60g and ash at 16g. Got everything warmed up, all errors cleared, ready to go. Hit the motorway and requested a DPF regen. The car got sluggish as is supposed to happen and this remained for the normal duration.

After 20 mins driving at 120km/h it finished. Soot level after regen - 60g. Ash at 16g. Not one bit of a change even though all the signs of a regen were there and it logged in BimmerLink that a regen had been activated.

I was watching the exhaust gas temp all the time during the run. It climbed to 480 degrees but dropped back down to c. 360. It did this a number of times on the run without ever staying at 480.

I don’t know what the hell is going on but what I do know is that the consumption dropped as is supposed to happen also.

I’m at my wits end
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 09:50 AM   #8
MetzgerMeister
Private First Class
Rep

Update:

For the last few days the DPF readout on BimmerLink has been stuck at 60g. Not going up and not going down. Therefore I have chosen to have it removed and professionally cleaned because I'm afraid it'll just go kaboom. Getting the job done on Tuesday so fingers crossed all will be ok until then.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 04:19 AM   #9
MetzgerMeister
Private First Class
Rep

As I had planned and said above, I was going to get the DPF removed and cleaned last Tuesday. However on Monday evening I went for a drive and monitored the DPF in the hope of it doing a passive regen. What do you know...it did it! When I started out soot was at 60g and by the time I got back home it was down to 12g. On Tuesday I got it down from 40g to 2g with another go at it.

This was an issue with my car rather than BimmerLink which by the way is currently being updated. I'm testing it for Stephan via Testflight and it looks good. The layout has been changed and lots of stuff added. I asked him to include something which he has done - when you request a DPF regen, you get a green banner to let you know it has been requested. I asked for a red banner to show you when the regen has started and it will stay on screen until it's finished.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 02:38 PM   #10
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep

Good to know you got it sorted. 60g of soot is a mega amount hence the car wouldn't do a regen. In normal world they will always start an auto regen around 27/30g max.

Forcing regen with those levels could set the car on fire, hence the car was slugish as you described. My BMWs never get slugish during normal regens.

yeah hopefully the bimmerlink will be sorted soon, the features they removed are really needed in order to keep a proper eye on the DPF
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 10:21 AM   #11
MetzgerMeister
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah, 60g is very high. I don't do big mileage by any stretch of the imagination. I had no other choice really when I bought it as I wanted a newer car with power that I could afford. Tax is €270 per year which is very good for Ireland. I doubt I'd buy a diesel again as I'm on track (pun intended) for an M4 next.

Mine is remapped too which means there's more crud going to build up in the DPF compared to a standard model. It doesn't get sluggish during a passive regen either, only a forced regen.

You'll be glad to know that I also requested the DPF regen status to be returned to BimmerLink which he has done.
Appreciate 1
xpro170.00
      12-06-2019, 06:54 PM   #12
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep

Just updated to the latest version. This update has to be by far the worse one. He has removed all of the sensors input and basically left only non important stuff that's pretty much duplicated in the DPF section
I mean is this guy even serious, every update so far has been downgrading the features from the original version.

Just one example, no more post injection, Air Mass, Egr Mass, EGR actuations, lambda AFR probe readouts.

Looks like Im going to have to bite the bullet and go with Carly.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 06:58 PM   #13
Kingpin4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i/2019 M2C

Appreciate 1
      12-09-2019, 08:35 AM   #14
MetzgerMeister
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro View Post
Just updated to the latest version. This update has to be by far the worse one. He has removed all of the sensors input and basically left only non important stuff that's pretty much duplicated in the DPF section
I mean is this guy even serious, every update so far has been downgrading the features from the original version.

Just one example, no more post injection, Air Mass, Egr Mass, EGR actuations, lambda AFR probe readouts.

Looks like Im going to have to bite the bullet and go with Carly.
I think you should contact him via the app. He's good to reply.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 02:22 PM   #15
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Using this thread to ask something...
How likely is that Bimmerlink "creates" or falsely reports faults...?

I just purchased Bimmerlink and scanned for fault codes. Found those 2, which reappear after deleting:

- D90D37 Interior Lighting Unit (ILE) Incorrect Version Installed
- B7F805 Connection head unit for DAB L-band antenna foot: line break

Googling the first one, I found a couple of reports that this error appears with Carly or older versions of ISTA, but does not exist when scanning with newer ISTA...
It also makes no sense - I have not done any changes (apart from coding) to the interior lighting

The second one is weird by definition. Pretty much no country in the world uses L-Band for DAB, according to my google research... For what I know, there may not even be (a connection to) an L-Band antenna for the DAB. I listen to DAB exclusively and cannot complain from the reception. The other weird thing is that the fault frequency is 0 ....
      10-23-2020, 07:05 AM   #16
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post

I just purchased Bimmerlink and scanned for fault codes. Found those 2, which reappear after deleting:

Googling the first one, I found a couple of reports that this error appears with Carly or older versions of ISTA, but does not exist when scanning with newer ISTA...
It also makes no sense - I have not done any changes (apart from coding) to the interior lighting

The second one is weird by definition. Pretty much no country in the world uses L-Band for DAB, according to my google research... For what I know, there may not even be (a connection to) an L-Band antenna for the DAB. I listen to DAB exclusively and cannot complain from the reception. The other weird thing is that the fault frequency is 0 ....
The faults you are seeing are secondary faults. They will also appear in insta if you scan within the memory faults.

But what counts is the permanent faults in BimmerLink.

For example if your battery was slighty empty and if the seat heat is cut off while you start it will display this as a fault even tho it isnt.

Hope that makes sense
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 01:50 PM   #17
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post

The faults you are seeing are secondary faults. They will also appear in insta if you scan within the memory faults.

But what counts is the permanent faults in BimmerLink.

For example if your battery was slighty empty and if the seat heat is cut off while you start it will display this as a fault even tho it isnt.

Hope that makes sense
Thanks for the response!
What does not make any sense to me is the origin of the faults.... neither have I done any modifications to the lights switch (and I am sure the factory knows which one to install...), nor do I have problems with the radio reception (DAB)....
And the car is fairly new....

What does "secondary" mean in this case? I have relatively long and deep (on a hobby level) experience with diagnostics on VAG (Vw, Audi, etc.) and at least there - a fault is a fault. Not every fault triggers a CEL, of course, but every fault has a trigger. Sporadic faults do happen, but once cleared - they disappear and often never come back.

Those 2 listed above appear permanent.... they reappear after clearing. And make 0 sense to me.