F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > First F30 Limp Mode
ARMA SPEED

05-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #287
KevRyd
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Xdrive MSport EBII

Update:

SA found a Fan somewhere in NA, 5 Days to deliver..........Ugh!

Error code thrown:

1A2108 Electric fan, Self-diagnosis, interval stage 1: Minor fan fault
421722 DME/DDE interface: Forced upshift due to therman engin protection request or signal invalid (switch status, warm-up, powertrain, 0x3fb)
8041A8 WELCOME LIGHTS REPEAT INTERLOCK ACTIVE
801A55 DWA: the alarm has been activated

So they are replacing the fan in 6 business days (if the fan is not damaged in transit). The question I have is this is a "minor" fan fault and the codes states that it is forced upshift, not limit upshift. this is going to get messy. I called BMW Canada to have the case esculated, they were basically useless saying it will go to peer review and actioned. first sunny long weekend for me and my new 335i, oops its in the shop.....sad

Kevin

Last edited by KevRyd; 05-17-2013 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #288
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnview View Post
My car is currently in the shop at Sterling, where it has been since Monday morning. They have tried to replicate the issue with no luck. No codes, of course. They opened a PUMA case and are awaiting further direction. I am not hopeful that I'll get the first official fix to this problem. At least they are not telling me (yet) that all is normal (like they are telling Dinh335)...we have different SAs at Sterling.

Yesterday, I sent a link to this message board and told my SA that they have another 335 Msport 6MT in their shop RIGHT NOW with the same problem and asked the SA to make sure the Techs are talking to each other.

My mental picture of the Techs and BMWNA on this issue is Larry Moe and Curly. Hard for me to get upset with the Sterling guys...this clearly isn't a parts issue and it is damn near impossible to diagnose without error codes. But I am getting increasingly pissed off at BMW for not rallying in a coordinated way to fix this.

Dinh335, before you pick up your car, perhaps you should ask Sterling to completely reset your DME...not just to factory defaults, but back to Day 1. This will at least get your car acting normal again for several weeks. I am convinced that your persistent lack of power is something the computer has "learned." Some temporary amnesia will buy you time with an old friend before it reverts back to limp-mode hell.

Perhaps I'm grasping at straws, but the ideas and analysis on this thread are far more confidence inspiring than anything we're hearing from our SAs.

Will post again when I have more info. In the meantime, I will keep kicking around in my '11 328 loaner. Totally lame compared to the 335.
I picked up my car today, after riding again with the Foreman. They are insisting it's operating as normal PPK'd car should run.

It felt better than it did when I dropped it off, but still a bit slow. Rather than going back and forth and arguing with the Foreman, who in his defense was very polite and wanted me to be happy, I was left with not much time or angle left other than argue on opinion for hours which I don't have.

I took the car and it's driving better but feels more like a stock 335 than a PPK'd one.

I then was low on gas, so refilled and it actually felt better after that. I don't think it's a bad gas issue, but maybe there is merit to something needing to be 'relearned'.

What confuses me a bit is that the fan replacement didn't effect software, it was hardware plug n play, so I'm not sure what is getting relearned.

Based on the info with this thread, I suspect I'll hit limp mode again at some point. But will continue to monitor the car closely in the meantime.

My comfort mode feels like the old comfort mode now. After i got the PPK comfort felt more like sport mode. The dealer offered to uninstall and fully refund the PPK but I opted against it as I enjoyed it when it was working properly. But did say I'll monitor the car and if doesn't improve I may go that route.

I now drive with a spare old iphone and gorpo to record the next time anything happens.
      05-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #289
50shades
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport-Gray on Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh335 View Post
I picked up my car today, after riding again with the Foreman. They are insisting it's operating as normal PPK'd car should run.

It felt better than it did when I dropped it off, but still a bit slow. Rather than going back and forth and arguing with the Foreman, who in his defense was very polite and wanted me to be happy, I was left with not much time or angle left other than argue on opinion for hours which I don't have.

I took the car and it's driving better but feels more like a stock 335 than a PPK'd one.

I then was low on gas, so refilled and it actually felt better after that. I don't think it's a bad gas issue, but maybe there is merit to something needing to be 'relearned'.

What confuses me a bit is that the fan replacement didn't effect software, it was hardware plug n play, so I'm not sure what is getting relearned.

Based on the info with this thread, I suspect I'll hit limp mode again at some point. But will continue to monitor the car closely in the meantime.

My comfort mode feels like the old comfort mode now. After i got the PPK comfort felt more like sport mode. The dealer offered to uninstall and fully refund the PPK but I opted against it as I enjoyed it when it was working properly. But did say I'll monitor the car and if doesn't improve I may go that route.

I now drive with a spare old iphone and gorpo to record the next time anything happens.
Sounds like they reset your DME back to factory standards, which actually wiped out your PPK software. You may want to check if they can reinstall the software portion if not done already.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #290
Dinh335
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50shades View Post
Sounds like they reset your DME back to factory standards, which actually wiped out your PPK software. You may want to check if they can reinstall the software portion if not done already.
I've asked multiple times about that, and they said no software was altered. Just plug n play fan/relay.
      05-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #291
Mtnview
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i x-drive 6MT M-sport

Yeah, the fan/relay fix doesn't affect the DME software. That was the first fix for my car. The next visit is when they updated the software on my DME, which was supposed to fix the limp-mode problem. It didn't, just seemed to wipe my car's memory until it relearned its limp-mode habit after 6 weeks.

It's 530 on Friday and not a peep from Sterling today. I had them order a PPK, which they will install after they fix the limp-mode issue. My car needs a new DME with the PPK installation, so this is likely going to turn into a total clusterf*ck (I've read on these message boards that the new DME install has its one set of challenges). I'm hopeful I'll get my car back in good shape...perhaps sometime in June.

I may visit Sterling tomorrow morning and try to upgrade my 328 loaner to a 335. Only seems fair.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #292
gmazzu
Private
Rep
Drives: 335 M-Sport X-Drive 6 speed

Just got the car back

Untitled by gregmazzu, on Flickr

They replaced the thermostat, fan, and did an update to the computer. Hope this is it.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 12:54 AM   #293
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmazzu View Post

They replaced the thermostat, fan, and did an update to the computer. Hope this is it.
I hope so for your sake. But I don't think it is.
      05-18-2013, 02:26 AM   #294
FeeBear
Fee
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 SO M4

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
Quote:
i told the dealer if this doesn't fix it they need to make the car go away
Which dealer did you get the car?

Fee
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #295
gmazzu
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost
Quote:

I hope so for your sake. But I don't think it is.
Really, that's a lot of parts, what's your theory? I'm at a loss if this isn't it.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #296
gmazzu
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeeBear View Post

Fee
Herb Chambers
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #297
AstonKarim
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi RS5 Sportback

this issue happened to me about 2 weeks ago. Turned the car off, restarted and it was fine. Since then it has not happened again but unfortunately there is no dealership where I live. Is there a possibility of me damaging something further if I continue to drive? It still feels fast, but have been hesitant to fully floor it to verify.

SOLD 2013 BMW 335i M Sport Xdrive / MPPK / MPE / Alpine White / Black Dakota Leather / M Sport Brake / 19"Style 403m / M Perf Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #298
Mak135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 GTS, X3M

Aston Karim: It's happened to me twice in the 6 months I've owned the car. Both times I just shut the car off when I could and restarted and everything was fine. I have tracked the car and no problems that I can see or read with my BT cable.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #299
AstonKarim
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi RS5 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak135i View Post
Aston Karim: It's happened to me twice in the 6 months I've owned the car. Both times I just shut the car off when I could and restarted and everything was fine. I have tracked the car and no problems that I can see or read with my BT cable.
Ok thats good to know. Next time it happens to me, I will make a special trip to the dealer. Depending on the driving situation it could be dangerous when this occurs.

SOLD 2013 BMW 335i M Sport Xdrive / MPPK / MPE / Alpine White / Black Dakota Leather / M Sport Brake / 19"Style 403m / M Perf Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 05:53 AM   #300
Axman85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i x-Drive M-Sport Min. Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmazzu
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeeBear View Post

Fee
Herb Chambers
Who was the SA you dealt with at Herb Chambers? Was it the Sudbury or Boston location? Will be easier to explain issue to an SA that has had to deal with the issue.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #301
gmazzu
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman85 View Post
Who was the SA you dealt with at Herb Chambers? Was it the Sudbury or Boston location? Will be easier to explain issue to an SA that has had to deal with the issue.

Thanks.
It was the Boston Herb Chambers. Talk to Darren in the service department and then you will likely want the foreman Rodrigo to know its there as he ended up working on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #302
50shades
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport-Gray on Red

I think it's safe to say that all those who have experienced this issue, drove for a good while (approximately 30 minutes or more) before the fan goes wild and the power takes a break. If this is not the case please let me know.

BMWNA informed me that they are looking into my case and the issue ( I asked them to buy back my car) and they said they will get back to me soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #303
artieg30
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F06

I believe i also experienced the same limp mode problem this weekend... what's strange is that i didn't even drive the car hard, i was literally doing a 20 minute drive at regular highway speeds (100km/hr) and i remember coming up to this curve and decided to corner harder this time going around 80-90km/h... right after the curve was a red light so i braked and the car came to a stop...

when the green light was back on i gave it the normal amount of throttle and for some strange reason it wouldn't go further than 3000 RPM which is what most of you guys describe as the issue... i could hear the fans working overtime and i was completely freaked out at this point so i pulled over to the closest lot and shut the car off... gave it a minute, turned it back on and everything was fine... has anyone else had this experience? It would make sense if i was driving the car hard but in this case i was just having a little fun doing some cornering so i can't logically explain why the car would go limp on me?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 06:21 AM   #304
Dinh335
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by artieg30 View Post
I believe i also experienced the same limp mode problem this weekend... what's strange is that i didn't even drive the car hard, i was literally doing a 20 minute drive at regular highway speeds (100km/hr) and i remember coming up to this curve and decided to corner harder this time going around 80-90km/h... right after the curve was a red light so i braked and the car came to a stop...

when the green light was back on i gave it the normal amount of throttle and for some strange reason it wouldn't go further than 3000 RPM which is what most of you guys describe as the issue... i could hear the fans working overtime and i was completely freaked out at this point so i pulled over to the closest lot and shut the car off... gave it a minute, turned it back on and everything was fine... has anyone else had this experience? It would make sense if i was driving the car hard but in this case i was just having a little fun doing some cornering so i can't logically explain why the car would go limp on me?
I wasn't driving the car hard either time it happened...
      05-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #305
KevRyd
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Xdrive MSport EBII

Update:

Am I a bad customer? I know they said 3-5 days to get the fan motor in, it's been 4 days today. I called yesterday and the SA seem shocked to hear from me. I'm trying not to badger them but my car has been in the shop over a week and no work has been done. Is it too much to ask for a daily update by phone or email? Im thinking of pushing up the line to the service manager. to me it seem odd that they can overnight a motor from BC (other side of the country) but it takes 5 days to get a motor from the US. The dont call me I will call you is not working for me and I think it is really poor customer service.

Couple this with the knowledge that what they are fixing will do nothing to fix the problem with Limp mode, knowing it will be back in again is very frustrating.

AAny suggestionsÉ I called BMW Canada and they were no help, Anyone know how I can get to BMW North America

Kevin
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #306
Turbo Cereal 3.0
Rep
Drives: 2014 S4 & 2013 M3 (Kinda)

Just ordered a 2014, you guys are making me so nervous
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #307
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevRyd View Post
Update:

Am I a bad customer? I know they said 3-5 days to get the fan motor in, it's been 4 days today. I called yesterday and the SA seem shocked to hear from me. I'm trying not to badger them but my car has been in the shop over a week and no work has been done. Is it too much to ask for a daily update by phone or email? Im thinking of pushing up the line to the service manager. to me it seem odd that they can overnight a motor from BC (other side of the country) but it takes 5 days to get a motor from the US. The dont call me I will call you is not working for me and I think it is really poor customer service.

Couple this with the knowledge that what they are fixing will do nothing to fix the problem with Limp mode, knowing it will be back in again is very frustrating.

AAny suggestionsÉ I called BMW Canada and they were no help, Anyone know how I can get to BMW North America

Kevin
Just keep harrassing your dealership. It's fine, we all do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #308
Dan_335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevRyd View Post
Update:

Kevin
BMW NA is for US customers only I think. We are BMW Canada.
Appreciate 0