F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > black alloys
Studio RSR

08-07-2015, 04:16 PM   #45
Bricktrix
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback

I tend to agree with all the comments on here regarding black alloys, its a bit of a "no mans land" in terms of where you tread with them.
Ultimately its all down to personal taste, hence being very subjective, whats good for one is wrong to another.
Yes they can look really "chavvy", but then they can also look really tasteful.

Therein lays the really fine line.

Personally, black on black I would never do, I dont think it looks "chavvy / cheap" I'd just rather have a high visual contrast, others I'm sure would rather have a "stealth" look.
Even the difference between dark graphite, gloss black and matt black can be worlds apart when put on cars of the wrong colour.

Honestly I've never really been a lover of black wheels, but over the last few years some have started to attract my attention, times that by 10x now I'm back in "petrolhead" mode after getting back into a BMW and I now find myself in somewhat of a dilema....shameful when I'm VERY late 40's!

I have a silver car, with gloss black external trim and privacy glass, so I think the all silver wheels look too much, I want a nice tasteful contrast, but I dont want it to look too "gangsta / chavvy/ or aggressive"......I suppose some would argue that privacy glass against a silver car already looks "gangsta", but I have it, so be it!

I'm really torn with what works and what doesnt. I'm pretty much sold on the ACS type 8 2 tone, but need to test others against the car first, just to confirm or not that they are the right choice, if that makes any sense?

So, we have a trip planned tomorrow, 3 alloy wheel shops up in manc, I'm looking at wheels that are all 2 tone, dark with silver edges, be it gloss black, anthracite against polished or shadow polished faces.

I dont want to "threadjack" this thread, so quite hapy to make a new post with pics of all wheels against the motor, but then it seems relevant to this post to keep it here?

OP, are you kewl with this "update" staying within this thread, for the sake of when people do searches? Am happy either way to start a new one or keep it all relevant.
Previous BMW's owned in last 30 years: E30 C2 2.3 Alpina, E30 325i (multiples), E30 M3, E36 M3 x2, last one owned for 9 years. 11 years out, got an F36 4GC then Merc AMG C43 Coupe. Now Audi RS5 Sportback.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 04:43 PM   #46
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Easiest way to find out if you like the look or not is to what I did the one time

Go out and buy some water soluble black poster paint.

Then paint one side black and not the other. If you like the blacked look- it's your car after all then pay to have it done. If you don't get out the hosepipe and no body will ever know

Simples.

Ps I didn't but my car was black.
      08-08-2015, 01:20 AM   #47
robwils
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP

Yes in my opinion I struggle with black alloys on a black car, I think the silver / grey gives a contrast to this.

I also didn't think the light blue Subaru wr1 I had previously suited black so went with an anthracite colour, so agree with many that it's not suited to all, but it's what you personally like.

Great idea above about using water soluble poster paint to trial
Plenty of google images to and even photoshop helps decide before you buy.

I too am in in my late 40's but don't care about what people think.
Love them on my EB2, however I also have silver for summer.
Swapping them seasonally also gives me a change for half the year, worked well on my blue vrs too.

Mrs always hates it when I take the black winter alloys off her dark grey Mazda too to fit standard silver summer ones.