F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW Drive away insurance REFUSED!!!
Studio RSR

03-09-2016, 03:28 PM   #1
DispenSingh
Rep
Drives: Ordered a 335d XDrive

Angry BMW Drive away insurance REFUSED!!!

Hi guys

Need some advice,

Picking up my 2016 335d x drive on Monday. ..rang up this morning to sort out my 7 day drive away insurance...however only to find out that I am not eligible to be insured on this car as it is BMW policy to be over 30 to be insured on a car with this engine..(I am turning 25 sat 19th March. .where my insurance with direct line kicks in...as my premium drops a few £££...

Genuinely annoyed with this as no dealer once mentioned this as they all know I'm younger than 30...booked a day off work for this and do not want to book or swap any shifts (Currently getting in the good side of line managers of my pharmacy company and don't want to screw it up).

What could I do to with the dealer about this?

Am I just in the wrong for thinking this is the incompetence of the dealer for not knowing this?...wouldn't mind if you had to be 25 to be insured...but 30....taking the biscuit there...

Was planning to get a letter from direct line showing the difference between the premiums when being 24 and 25...and then trying to get BMW to compensate for this as no policy terms and conditions are expressed on the leaflet given to me for this drive away insurance?
Also all temp cover websites do not want to know me...gutted as I have no convictions ..purely my age.

What are my options guys/girls?

Last edited by DispenSingh; 03-09-2016 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 03:37 PM   #2
Firaxis
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

I just wouldn't pick the car up until that Saturday, then sort your insurance out the same day.. Got to admit though, it's a little odd and / or excessive.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 04:11 PM   #3
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
In the U.S. you gotta have your own insurance from day one. No freebies from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 04:20 PM   #4
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

In the USA, under-25's can't even rent a car (even a Ford Fiesta) from most companies.

Sorry to be blunt, but you've just discovered actuarial science.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2016, 04:25 PM   #5
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by __ View Post
In the U.S. you gotta have your own insurance from day one. No freebies from the dealer.
Yup, I leased a mini for my daughter recently and they wouldn't let us drive it off the lot until I got the car on my insurance and they had an email copy of my policy listing the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 04:27 PM   #6
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Yup, I leased a mini for my daughter recently and they wouldn't let us drive it off the lot until I got the car on my insurance and they had an email copy of my policy listing the car.
Hmm... they told me I have 30 days to get insurance. Maybe it varies from state to state?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #7
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Basically we called for insurance while at the dealership. Most will let you drive away but it's your responsibility to make sure you and the car are insured. At least in California.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 04:35 PM   #8
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
Hmm... they told me I have 30 days to get insurance. Maybe it varies from state to state?
It used to be very common for dealers to accept proof of full coverage on any car owned by the buyer. That's not quite as common today. Nowadays they frequently want a binder specific to the new car.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 06:06 PM   #9
Firaxis
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
In the USA, under-25's can't even rent a car (even a Ford Fiesta) from most companies.

The issue is he lives in the UK and he's bought a car you can't even buy in the US. Probably should of been posted in the UK forums, but anyway..

It is pretty similar here, you have to be 25 to rent a car (in most places).. But I got the BMW 7 day insurance being a little smidge under 30.! and I have the same engine, not that I needed it because I was covered before hand.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 06:25 PM   #10
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

sounds like that motor is too powerful for you, at this age.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 06:53 PM   #11
BM57
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 320i

I'm not sure if there's anything you can do. Maybe the Head Office snobs are discriminating against you because you're a young Brummie purchasing an expensive car

Maybe have them deliver it and you can detail and admire it until the 19th

I assume you already know how UK Insurance is for young/newly licensed drivers. Remember what happened to Jezza:

http://www.topgear.com/videos/cars-t...s-13-episode-2

Why they do what they do:

http://www.brake.org.uk/events/15-fa...the-hard-facts

Good Luck and congrats! Post pics when you have a chance
      03-09-2016, 07:01 PM   #12
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:

I don't know which companies you are talking about but I rented cars from Avis, Hertz, and Enterprise when I was under 25. Only catch is that they charge you for under-age fee; however, if your company or school has a special agreement with the rental company, you can even avoid that fee.
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2016, 07:08 PM   #13
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
Yeah it was the first time that ever happened to me. I always understood that your existing policy would cover you until you got the new car added.

In this case I had to call the 800 number on my insurance card since it was after-hours. The agent that answered the call got the new car added and emailed the new policy to the sales associate while I was sitting there. Thank god for modern technology.

Oddly enough, that Mini dealership is owned by the same company that owns the BMW dealership where I bought my F30 a couple years ago. And in that purchase they didn't insist on the proof of insurance.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 08:26 PM   #14
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Quote:

This is not correct. Most companies will allow you to put with a small fee. Or you could sign up for USAA for free and have under-25 fees waived on every rental car reservation with no strings attached. Im 23 and I've never paid a under-25 car rental fee.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2016, 08:46 PM   #15
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

he will shoot his eye out!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 11:00 PM   #16
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:

Most provinces in Canada require 25 and over on a rental. I believe its rent car company rules though, not gov't
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 11:54 PM   #17
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Yeah it was the first time that ever happened to me. I always understood that your existing policy would cover you until you got the new car added.

In this case I had to call the 800 number on my insurance card since it was after-hours. The agent that answered the call got the new car added and emailed the new policy to the sales associate while I was sitting there. Thank god for modern technology.

Oddly enough, that Mini dealership is owned by the same company that owns the BMW dealership where I bought my F30 a couple years ago. And in that purchase they didn't insist on the proof of insurance.
Um, why would your existing policy cover your new not-covered car?

Most insurance companies have agents and services 24/7, so getting a car added at virtually any time is easy, you can have it on "standby", or you can also tell them to start covering the car (before you have taken delivery of it) on a certain date. All they need is the VIN.

You are right though, it's dead easy these days. My dealer needed proof of insurance (if they are financing the car, the car MUST be insured) and it was easy to have ready for the day.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 12:26 AM   #18
DispenSingh
Rep

Quote:

Irrelevant comment... in the uk you always get offered complimentary insurance with any car purchased from a reputable company....iv had this drive away insurance on all my cars including a 1.9 tdi golf at the age of 19...

Iv got my insurance sorted but it's more frustration on my behalf that the dealership should know these things certain requirements for their insurance policies before they start explaining how "amazing" their insurance products are...

I assumed this forum was the UK or at least a mixed forum so I apologise for that...

Can any mods get this moved to the right place?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 12:29 AM   #19
DispenSingh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM57 View Post
I'm not sure if there's anything you can do. Maybe the Head Office snobs are discriminating against you because you're a young Brummie purchasing an expensive car

Maybe have them deliver it and you can detail and admire it until the 19th

I assume you already know how UK Insurance is for young/newly licensed drivers. Remember what happened to Jezza:

http://www.topgear.com/videos/cars-t...s-13-episode-2

Why they do what they do:

http://www.brake.org.uk/events/15-fa...the-hard-facts

Good Luck and congrats! Post pics when you have a chance
Thanks for that..will post piks when I get it...iv decided to pay the insurance premium when delivered and try my luck with getting it reimbursed off bmw by making a complaint ...iv doubt it will work but hey..don't ask...don't get
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 12:31 AM   #20
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Pretty sure my insurance agent told me that a hundred years ago. I could be wrong though. I believe it's the same principle where your auto insurance covers you when you're driving a rental car. Although I suppose I could be wrong about that too and I've been driving uninsured rental cars all these years.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 12:35 AM   #21
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Ah, here we go:

If I buy a new car, will my existing insurance cover it?

The majority of car insurance policies cover your new baby for a short period defined by the insurer or your state's requirements. Your existing policy might not be a great fit for your new vehicle, so it's a good idea to modify your coverage as soon as you can

https://www.esurance.com/info/car/ho...r-your-new-car
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #22
JVBFTW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by __ View Post
It used to be very common for dealers to accept proof of full coverage on any car owned by the buyer. That's not quite as common today. Nowadays they frequently want a binder specific to the new car.
You can thank the lenders for that... you wreck the new car, insurance isn't on it, dealer has to buy the car back.