F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > DP Rattle !!!
GetBMWParts

06-07-2020, 02:58 AM   #1
dani220iM
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i

DP Rattle !!!

hey all,
i have 2014 F22 N20 installed wagner catless DP. Now with the catless dp, every time I turn right or when the motor is under load in a turn, giving gas there seems to be a noticeable rattle coming from downpipe area (mostly felt on the floor around the centre-right area of the car). I want to know if this is normal? Did the exhaust shop install the DP loose? Is it a fitment issue? is there a leak? Unfortunately, I do not have any logs, but I wanted to get your opinions?
      06-10-2020, 11:25 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

sounds like an install issue, double-check the gaskets and clamps are installed correctly. It always recommended using new hardware when installing a new downpipe

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2020, 08:07 AM   #3
fcbrandon
Guy
Rep
Drives: 20 X3 M40i

I'm having the exact same issue. Haven't had a chance to get in there and take a look to see if anything is loose though. From the outside it didn't sound like an exhaust leak, so I don't think it's clamps being loose. Maybe the clamp is hitting something?

Let us know if you figure it out!
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2020, 11:58 AM   #4
bmwchue
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 328i

I had a similar issue when turning right. turned out to be mid pipe hangar metal to metal contact
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2020, 06:39 PM   #5
gzN26
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i N26

I agree with Chue. I had the same issue when i installed VRSF Catless DP myself...only happened when turning right under load. almost like a grinding sound.... Took it to my shop and they readjusted my midpipe hanger and DP to Midpipe clamp & the issue was resolved. No more vibrations.
      06-13-2020, 05:57 PM   #6
328iking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani220iM View Post
hey all,
i have 2014 F22 N20 installed wagner catless DP. Now with the catless dp, every time I turn right or when the motor is under load in a turn, giving gas there seems to be a noticeable rattle coming from downpipe area (mostly felt on the floor around the centre-right area of the car). I want to know if this is normal? Did the exhaust shop install the DP loose? Is it a fitment issue? is there a leak? Unfortunately, I do not have any logs, but I wanted to get your opinions?
Could be waste gate rattle.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2020, 01:39 PM   #7
dani220iM
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i

yes it was midpipe hanger make this sound [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

05-01-2021, 07:04 AM   #8
Slow330
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani220iM View Post
yes it was midpipe hanger make this sound [IMG][/IMG]
Ever figure out how to fix this?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 10:41 AM   #9
jtalweezy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xdrive (B46)

I had the same problem with my ER catless downpipe. The response from ER, and I kid you not, was to use a pry bar or screw driver to move the mid pipe away from the exhaust grommet. Mine was rubbing there as well. I am a firm believer of finesse when installing anything in my car. If i have to force it, something is not right.

So, I removed everything, and put the ER DP up against the factory cats, and sure enough, it was slightly shorter by about .25". This causes the midpipe to be pulled closer to the transmission grommet, ergo, you get rattling. It is just enough to cause the transmission mount to rattle against the grommet.

I eventually just unbolted the transmission mount grommet and that got rid of the rattle. Only problem with this is, now you are putting all the load on the flex joint of the DP. Not good.

I had a full exhaust system in the mail, so it didnt stay like this for long. However, when I installed the exhaust system, it would not fully seal due to the DP being too short. I had to use a lap joint to completely seal the exhaust system and prevent the annoying psss pss pss pss sound. (drove me nuts)

Long story short, I went to a local shop and they created a custom bolt on clamp so I could use the factory grommet for a clean and secure install.

Opps, forgot to add, Mike at ex-ph was SUPER helpful in getting my concerns over to ER. I'd love to revisit this for other people experiencing the same problem. I think a lot of the DPs need a bit more play laterally in the flex joints to prevent this issue. It would seem the flex joint being hard/static on many DPs is causing fitment issues for a LOT of us.
Attached Images

2017 BMW 330ix MSport Estoril Blue - B46, ER Catless DP, ER Chargepipe, FTP Intake Charge Pipe, BMS Cone Intake, BMS OilCC, Bm3 Stage 2. FI Exhaust, xHP Stage 3 OTS Transmission tune. CSFRace heat exchanger. Performance M Brake kit. AFE Carbon Fiber D.A.S.
https://www.instagram.com/bfourtysick/

Last edited by jtalweezy; 05-12-2021 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0