F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Champ2/entry + mmi + 8.8” cid=?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-02-2021, 12:23 PM   #1
Pluteos
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Champ2/entry + mmi + 8.8” cid=?

Hello.

As we all know, Champ2/Entry is incompatible with larger OEM screens. However, would it not be possible to use a MMI/Carplay box to essentially drive the larger screen?

Most of them have configurable dip switches.

Worst case I believe it could output carplay/aa to the larger OEM display but not iDrive.

Any thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 01:26 PM   #2
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluteos View Post
Hello.

As we all know, Champ2/Entry is incompatible with larger OEM screens. However, would it not be possible to use a MMI/Carplay box to essentially drive the larger screen?

Most of them have configurable dip switches.

Worst case I believe it could output carplay/aa to the larger OEM display but not iDrive.

Any thoughts on this?
When i upgraded my 8.8 in my f48 (already had andream mmi box running for many months), i think i do remember the 8.8 screen working with the carplay without doing any coding after setting the dip switches but the idrive screen was completely black until i coded in the change.

You would have zero access to the idrive system going this route but your screen may throw the 'no signal' which would cause the mmi to throw the same error if the HU can't handle the voltage off the 8.8 which would make this useless as no way to resolve unless upgrade HU.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 08:27 AM   #3
Pluteos
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homersbud View Post
When i upgraded my 8.8 in my f48 (already had andream mmi box running for many months), i think i do remember the 8.8 screen working with the carplay without doing any coding after setting the dip switches but the idrive screen was completely black until i coded in the change.

You would have zero access to the idrive system going this route but your screen may throw the 'no signal' which would cause the mmi to throw the same error if the HU can't handle the voltage off the 8.8 which would make this useless as no way to resolve unless upgrade HU.
Thanks for your reply. For the past couple months I’ve been running an android unit in my vehicle and it randomly kicked the bucket the other day. So now my only options, essentially, are to get another one or NBT Evo. I thought this route would give me a close to OEM feel without spending the money for NBT, seems like more issues down the road.
Appreciate 0