F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Tracking the F30 335i with a few modifications
ARMA SPEED

05-18-2016, 08:26 PM   #89
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBlue View Post
As planned, I have started to track my E46 M3 and have been very pleased on a low speed/technical track where it was in fact as fast as the F30 without breaking a sweat.

I went to Road Atlanta this weekend and the outcome was quite different. There is no doubt that the M3 is more fun and feels more like a sports car. It even feels faster... but, to my surprise, it was not!
Interesting read... sorry about the failure of your trailing arm - that was eye-opening! But as others have said, it seems like it must have been caused by some sort of debris strike (?)
I have been tracking my F30 hard for a few years now, and thus far <knocks wood> it has been solid. I have been upgrading various components bit by bit, but even early on the car was very confidence-inspiring on track. It did not take much to get the F30 to run relatively fast, even in the some very capable company in the advanced run groups, so I'm actually not surprised that you were faster in the F30 than the e46 M3 at Road Atlanta. I find the F30 335 to have great balance, and exceptional stability with the long wheel base... yet no deficiencies with regard to good turn-in (with camber plates set to about -2.5deg) or the capability to rotate when desired.
To be fair, I have always been a huge fan of the e46 M3 - and in the past couple of years, have often contemplated buying one (as recently as a month ago!) to suit my ambitions to have a dedicated track car. But since that is not in the cards for me this year, I have decided to spend yet more money on the ongoing project to enhance the weekend track beastiness of my F30 without killing it as a DD.

If there's anything I have noticed throughout various track weekends, it's that the lap times that a car will turn are vastly dependent on the driver skill level (obviously), as well as how the car is prepped. In any given run group, it's very common to see drivers of similar experience levels running similar times in e9x 335s, 135s, e36 M3s, e46 M3s, e9x M3s, e39 M5s, e60 M5s, 350/370Zs, Audi S4s, Caymans, and even FRS/BRZs. If the car has track-worthy tires, camber plates, good suspension, an LSD, and a power level that keeps it in a comparable power:weight bracket, then they can all be in the same ballpark.

You are in the enviable position of having two great cars that are both a blast on track! For those of us with an F30 as an only option... track it! There still aren't many out there, and it really is a very capable car on track.

Last edited by DVC; 06-01-2016 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 7
AmuroRay2267.50
      05-19-2016, 02:25 PM   #90
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 EBII F36 430d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
If there's anything I have noticed throughout various track weekends, it's that the lap times that a car will turn are vastly dependent on the driver skill level (obviously), as well as how the car is prepped.
So true! And this is where you need to stay level headed during trackdays: you can have this pesky little Miata that is 200hp down on your car but keeping up and getting on your bumper each time you go through turns
Stay cool and point by, red mist is your worst enemy on the track!
      05-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #91
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30toF30 View Post
This last day out at Pacific raceway, my car ended up getting the limp mode with drive train malfunction warning. I figured the car was just running too hot and too hard as i was on the track longer than usual
We have all heard of similar stories and it remains a mystery to me. I have pushed my tuned 335i (with no modification of any kind to the cooling system) at ~9/10 during 45 minutes sessions and with an outside temperature of 80+F without observing the slightest engine overheating.

On the other hand, every now and then (no more than once every other month), I would be driving quietly on the freeway and get a drivetrain malfunction alert -but no loss of power-. I just stop the car, restart the engine and everything is back to normal

I am more inclined to believe that there is a gremlin in the software somewhere...
      05-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #92
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep

F30 and E46 at Road Atlanta

Got pictures from my last track week end and edited them to show the F30 and E46 side by side. The F30 has definitely more body roll, but I find both cars equally nice

05-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #93
F30_SixSpeed
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

This thread is great ATLBlue

Are you planning to throw the f30 back on the track now that you've had some times to think after the last mishap?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 03:21 PM   #94
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_SixSpeed View Post
This thread is great ATLBlue

Are you planning to throw the f30 back on the track now that you've had some times to think after the last mishap?
Thanks for the nice words.

In fact I am considering taking both the E46 and F30 to the track since they provide a different experience, but the E46 will take precedence in the short term since I am still far from using it to its full potential.
      05-19-2016, 04:48 PM   #95
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
Quote:
We have all heard of similar stories and it remains a mystery to me. I have pushed my tuned 335i (with no modification of any kind to the cooling system) at ~9/10 during 45 minutes sessions and with an outside temperature of 80+F without observing the slightest engine overheating.

On the other hand, every now and then (no more than once every other month), I would be driving quietly on the freeway and get a drivetrain malfunction alert -but no loss of power-. I just stop the car, restart the engine and everything is back to normal

I am more inclined to believe that there is a gremlin in the software somewhere...
Man thats all sorts of messed up. I guess i'll do what I can to avoid getting limp mode as its really annoying and messes up the day of fun.

I'll try doing the things I posted above and will leave my intake and tune in for now.

I did forget to mention that it was up close to 80 degrees that day too so it was a pretty warm day. It will only get warmer as we get into the summer months too.

Thanks for your input!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 09:25 AM   #96
duckJAI
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport Line

Hey ATLBlue, I read about you changing the control arm to the F8X and was able to increase camber. I've been thinking of doing this as well, but I have read mixed reviews saying it moves your caster up a whole lot, making the front wheels closer to the wheel wells. Do you know if this was significant on your ride?

Also, how was the steering from before and after? With increased caster, it will normally make steering noticeably stiffer too.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 10:11 AM   #97
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckJAI View Post
Hey ATLBlue, I read about you changing the control arm to the F8X and was able to increase camber. I've been thinking of doing this as well, but I have read mixed reviews saying it moves your caster up a whole lot, making the front wheels closer to the wheel wells. Do you know if this was significant on your ride?

Also, how was the steering from before and after? With increased caster, it will normally make steering noticeably stiffer too.
Before installing the F8x control arms, my caster was ~7º which is about the BMW OEM spec. After the install it was -and still is- 8º which is fine. Other than the better cornering ability of the car, I did not notice much (if any) change in the steering stiffness. There was no issue either regarding the position of the wheels in the wheel wells, even in the most extreme driving conditions on the track (with the car already lowered on coilovers).

So from my personal experience, the control arm change was a simple, good bang for the buck mod with no downside.
      05-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #98
duckJAI
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Before installing the F8x control arms, my caster was ~7º which is about the BMW OEM spec. After the install it was -and still is- 8º which is fine. Other than the better cornering ability of the car, I did not notice much (if any) change in the steering stiffness. There was no issue either regarding the position of the wheels in the wheel wells, even in the most extreme driving conditions on the track (with the car already lowered on coilovers).

So from my personal experience, the control arm change was a simple, good bang for the buck mod with no downside.
Thanks for that! Did you notice your wheels going more outward (effectively lowering the offset of the wheels approx 10-12mm?) I've read this is also a side effect of the F8x control arms. Is this true?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 02:03 PM   #99
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that! Did you notice your wheels going more outward (effectively lowering the offset of the wheels approx 10-12mm?) I've read this is also a side effect of the F8x control arms. Is this true?
I have not read recent threads about the F8x arms and they are indeed a bit longer than F3x arms, but based on the picture from Turner's website, I would be surprised if the wheels were moved significantly -up to 10 or 12mm- outward (other than the bottom part, due to the increased camber).

I did not take before/after pics so I do not have a fair point of comparison for my car...
      05-25-2016, 04:04 PM   #100
duckJAI
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I have not read recent threads about the F8x arms and they are indeed a bit longer than F3x arms, but based on the picture from Turner's website, I would be surprised if the wheels were moved significantly -up to 10 or 12mm- outward (other than the bottom part, due to the increased camber).

I did not take before/after pics so I do not have a fair point of comparison for my car...
Awesome thanks! Also, did you get the M3/M4 Xenon Leveling Kit (If you have Xenons) If so, is easy to install or is there some fabricating needed to fit on the F30s
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 04:07 PM   #101
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Awesome thanks! Also, did you get the M3/M4 Xenon Leveling Kit (If you have Xenons) If so, is easy to install or is there some fabricating needed to fit on the F30s
The Xenon leveling kit is a $37 option when you order the control arms from Turner (which I did). The installation is extremely straightforward -did not do it myself but asked the shop at the time they did it-.
      05-31-2016, 01:29 PM   #102
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep

Time to say goodbye... soon

I will be taking a new assignment overseas in August, and while I will still spend quite a bit of time stateside, there is no need for me to own a car here anymore (well, except for the E46 M3 that my son will daily drive and that will still be there for trackdays when I happen to be around ).

I plan on returning the F30 back to stock in July. In the meantime if some of you are interested in a nicely (?) modded F30, shoot me a PM. If you are interested in some of the aftermarket stuff you can PM me too. Nothing will be available until the first days of August, but just in case. You can check the "Journal" section (see link in signature) and you would know exactly what you would get!

I truly enjoyed the forum and community... and will certainly post a few more things. I may also reappear as a European member but I have to decide what my next ride will be first
      06-01-2016, 11:36 PM   #103
cgarner40
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335xi

Quote:

I've had the exact same thing happen to me. I did two separate 2-day weekends at the track last summer without any issues at all. (20 min sessions though) But later in the week, just driving around town, I got the drivetrain malfunction error 3 different times. Turn car off, then on and it clears. Took a pic of the screen and took it to the dealer. Only thing they found was my steering wheel was slightly off center, according to the analysis. I never noticed it driving it or looking at it. The only thing I noticed was that my coolant tank level was not close to max anymore when cold. I have no leaks, but it almost seemed like the track driving affected the coolant level. Either way I keep the coolant at max and have not received the error again. Just my observations after it happened. Could have all been coincidental.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:52 PM   #104
mahmoud samier65603
Rep
Drives: mahmoud samier65603

good vidoe
      05-05-2021, 02:42 PM   #105
okla_m2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
Reviving an old thread here..

Just took out the F30 N55 to my second HPDE event ever and had a great time. This was my first time attending a full weekend event (my first HPDE event was cut short, due to the infamous charge pipe fail). This event was hosted by BMW CCA National Capital Chapter out at Summit Point, WV (Jefferson Circuit) this past weekend.

I did notice some brake fade (especially after the straights) after a few laps during my sessions. I'm now looking into pad upgrades, and maybe even stainless steel brake lines. Currently, I'm running the M Performance BBK, with Zimmerman 370 front and 340 rear rotors w/ StopTech Street Performance pads. While the pads are great for the street, I question their ability to hold up on the track. I definitely had to ease off on a few laps to cool the brakes, but afterwards, the firmness came back. While this car is still my daily, I can see myself attending a few HPDEs / year - this will not be a dedicated track car. This car is fun to learn with and when I become a better driver and when ready, will plan on upgrading to an M.

This was also my first time messing around with the RaceChrono Pro app, GoPro Hero 3+, and VeePeak BLE+ OBD II reader. After a few sessions, I was able to get it working and must I say, it works great and it was pretty easy to get everything set up. Video below of me working on driving on and offline, given scenarios from the instructor. Looking at my data, fastest lap I ran was ~1:32 (which apparently is still ~10 secs slower than what the instructors were running).

Last edited by okla_m2c; 05-05-2021 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 12:29 AM   #106
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookayy View Post
Reviving an old thread here..

Just took out the F30 N55 to my second HPDE event ever and had a great time. This was my first time attending a full weekend event (my first HPDE event was cut short, due to the infamous charge pipe fail). This event was hosted by BMW CCA National Capital Chapter out at Summit Point, WV (Jefferson Circuit) this past weekend.

I did notice some brake fade (especially after the straights) after a few laps during my sessions. I'm now looking into pad upgrades, and maybe even stainless steel brake lines. Currently, I'm running the M Performance BBK, with Zimmerman 370 front and 340 rear rotors w/ StopTech Street Performance pads. While the pads are great for the street, I question their ability to hold up on the track. I definitely had to ease off on a few laps to cool the brakes, but afterwards, the firmness came back. While this car is still my daily, I can see myself attending a few HPDEs / year - this will not be a dedicated track car. This car is fun to learn with and when I become a better driver and when ready, will plan on upgrading to an M.

This was also my first time messing around with the RaceChrono Pro app, GoPro Hero 3+, and VeePeak BLE+ OBD II reader. After a few sessions, I was able to get it working and must I say, it works great and it was pretty easy to get everything set up. Video below of me working on driving on and offline, given scenarios from the instructor. Looking at my data, fastest lap I ran was ~1:32 (which apparently is still ~10 secs slower than what the instructors were running).

Glad you had fun! Looks like a blast!

Steel lines help with that spongy braking feel, but they don't really help with fade. Definitely upgrade your pads and fluid first, steel lines later if you need to. Honestly, I haven't found the need to.

What's going on with your hands in the turns? Did the instructor tell you to release your fingers like that to get you used to a light touch? I've never seen that.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 08:13 AM   #107
okla_m2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
What's going on with your hands in the turns? Did the instructor tell you to release your fingers like that to get you used to a light touch? I've never seen that.
Thanks! Yeah, I need to work on that.. I have a tendency to be too tense and grip the wheel too hard. I'm trying to relax and have smooth inputs, and so this is my way of practicing that. When I'm cornering left, my left hand is fully gripped around the wheel and I tend to loosen up my right hand, and vice versa when going the other way. I know I need to have better hand positions in the future.

Always open for feedback!
Appreciate 0