F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bluetooth - device list showing as empty but existing phone still (half) connected
GetBMWParts

11-24-2019, 11:39 PM   #23
NTG88
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Go back to Dealer and have them show you.

Salesman should have paired phone for you.
The phone pairs, everything works. It just doesn’t show on the list, it just says connecting forever when you click “add new phone” even though it’s already connected. That’s my issue, not that I don’t know how to pair a phone to the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 11:57 PM   #24
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTG88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Go back to Dealer and have them show you.

Salesman should have paired phone for you.
The phone pairs, everything works. It just doesn’t show on the list, it just says connecting forever when you click “add new phone” even though it’s already connected. That’s my issue, not that I don’t know how to pair a phone to the car.
And they can reset it.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 08:00 AM   #25
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTG88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Then another phone with an emoji in the name has connected before. You have to figure out what phone that is and change it's name. Then reconnect.
Even if all the slots are blank? I just bought the car from the dealer yesterday, and I’m assuming they reset everything cuz all the slots are empty. So my phone connecting would technically be the “1st” phone to show. And if that’s the case then I’m kinda outta luck cuz the car has had previous owners
Yes. The phone with the emoji in the name won't show up as a paired device. Maybe ISTA can see it, but I never tried that. For me it was working for months and then it wasn't. So I knew it had to be someone that was in the car with me.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 01:26 PM   #26
NTG88
Rep

Quote:
Yes. The phone with the emoji in the name won't show up as a paired device. Maybe ISTA can see it, but I never tried that. For me it was working for months and then it wasn't. So I knew it had to be someone that was in the car with me.
well since I bought the car used, if there was phone with an emoji in the name from the previous owner that caused this, I don’t have access to it, so I guess I’m stuck I’ve tried looking up a factory reset for the entire computer but there doesn’t seem to be one. Guess I’ll have to take it in
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 10:09 AM   #27
NTG88
Rep

Quote:
Just as an update. After weeks of research and forum hopping, I found out the only way you CAN delete the Bluetooth data and basically start over via ISTA. I’ve never used the software and I’m hesitant cuz I don’t want to mess anything else up. But at least I know there’s a DIY solution
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 06:14 PM   #28
Wedelthomas
Rep
Drives: F30

You saved my life!

Had same issue with a f30 320i (Latin America vehicle) we don’t have much support here and after pairing with my daughter’s iPhone I had the same issue. Phone worked for streaming music but not for phone calls from the car. List usen telephone showed 4 empty slots but phone showed under BT music streaming. Asked my daughter if she had any emojis on her phone name and SHE DID!!! 2 of them!. After removing them and re-pairing her phone everything went back to normal and recover my car’s phone capabilities!!!!!

At the dealer they had no idea about the issue and I thought I was never gettting phone capabilities back, this thread saved me!

marmit2017 You saved me!!! Thank you!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 11:33 AM   #29
Mr. Shredder
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3

It worked, never would have figured it out without this post!

OK, kudos to marmit2017! - as I believe that is where credit is due from what I can see from this post anyway.

We had a small group (just immediate family) that would have been able to connect their phone to the car. After asking what the phone names were for everyone, we found one of the phones had three teardrop emoji's in the phone name. We renamed that phone and we just went out to the car and all problems were resolved.

Nice catch, would have NEVER thought to think this was traceable back to a phone name.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 12:40 PM   #30
james0254
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320 ED F30 2012

Hi All, Has anyone found a solution if you are unable to connect the phone with the emoji in the name as I don't have access to that phone.
Thanks
James
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 12:58 AM   #31
thatmikeyouknow
2014 F30 320d. Photographer, Videographer.
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0254 View Post
Hi All, Has anyone found a solution if you are unable to connect the phone with the emoji in the name as I don't have access to that phone.
Thanks
James
Hey,

I'm also having a similar issue.

My phone (Samsung Note10+ 5G) and car (2014 F30 320d) are doing the same thing; my car says 'Connecting...' but my phone says it is fully connected, my car recognises my signal, if I go into 'Contacts' it displays them with the BT symbol next to them, but if I go to into the phone bit it tells me to connect.

How is this a thing in 2021?? Thankfully, if this is the only issue I have with the car, I'll still be at a 15/10 level of happiness with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 01:13 AM   #32
Ashhong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatmikeyouknow View Post
Hey,

I'm also having a similar issue.

My phone (Samsung Note10+ 5G) and car (2014 F30 320d) are doing the same thing; my car says 'Connecting...' but my phone says it is fully connected, my car recognises my signal, if I go into 'Contacts' it displays them with the BT symbol next to them, but if I go to into the phone bit it tells me to connect.

How is this a thing in 2021?? Thankfully, if this is the only issue I have with the car, I'll still be at a 15/10 level of happiness with it.
The problem is we have a car that is 7 years old, but a phone that is brand new. This just happens when newer tech comes out

I myself have been having issues with my iPhone 11 Pro on iOS 14:
Phone is connected playing music fine. Music suddenly stops. Car says it's connected and no issues. I have to turn bluetooth on the CAR off and on and it'll work. Doesn't happen on my older iPhone 6S. Sucks!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 01:43 AM   #33
thatmikeyouknow
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashhong View Post
The problem is we have a car that is 7 years old, but a phone that is brand new. This just happens when newer tech comes out

Phone is connected playing music fine. Music suddenly stops. Car says it's connected and no issues. I have to turn bluetooth on the CAR off and on and it'll work. Doesn't happen on my older iPhone 6S. Sucks!
My car doesn't even have Bluetooth audio capabilities, from what I understand. 🤷*♂️🤷*♂️

I had to buy this so that I could charge via a USB and have audio at the same time. It's great, but fuck, I wish the BT worked/had the right functionality. I'll just mod that when my sales warranty runs out
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 04:26 AM   #34
Ashhong
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

My car doesn't even have Bluetooth audio capabilities, from what I understand. 🤷*♂️🤷*♂️

I had to buy this so that I could charge via a USB and have audio at the same time. It's great, but fuck, I wish the BT worked/had the right functionality. I'll just mod that when my sales warranty runs out
Nah nah what you need is this

TaoTronics Bluetooth Car Kit, Bluetooth Receiver, Bluetooth 4.2 Hands-Free Audio Adapter (Built-in Microphone, CVC 6.0 Noise Cancellation, 3M Magnetic Base, Air Vent Clip, Dual 2.1A USB Car Charger) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0769DXZ...C6ZR1PQH3Q0NPM

Or get the MMI, would be a quick removal if you needed to take it out
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 10:04 AM   #35
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

Quote:

Any idea what head unit you've got? My 2014 320d came with basic head unit, HU_ENTRYNAV (without navigation, despite the name) and I retrofitted NBT to it. It's been playing perfectly fine with my iPhone 12. If yours is CIC or CHAMP then maybe a relatively cheap upgrade to NBT would fix your problems.

If you don't have NBT then it's probably best to find someone with an NBT unit to try pairing up to so you can test first though
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 12:59 AM   #36
thatmikeyouknow
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

TaoTronics Bluetooth Car Kit, Bluetooth Receiver, Bluetooth 4.2 Hands-Free Audio Adapter (Built-in Microphone, CVC 6.0 Noise Cancellation, 3M Magnetic Base, Air Vent Clip, Dual 2.1A USB Car Charger) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0769DXZ...C6ZR1PQH3Q0NPM

I don't think so, that device looks to me like a different solution to the same problem, but with the same caveats. I can make calls and receive calls in the car, it's just being a bit silly. This device would actually mean I'd have to touch the phone more to initiate calls instead of going through iDrive, which is illegal (here in the UK at least). I just want the car to properly and fully recognise the phone being connected.

It is highly, highly likely that when my sales warranty runs out in 3 months I'll be modding in a better infotainment system to remedy this. Bigger screen with Android Auto/Apple CarPlay is top of my list of mods.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 12:45 PM   #37
Ashhong
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I don't think so, that device looks to me like a different solution to the same problem, but with the same caveats. I can make calls and receive calls in the car, it's just being a bit silly. This device would actually mean I'd have to touch the phone more to initiate calls instead of going through iDrive, which is illegal (here in the UK at least). I just want the car to properly and fully recognise the phone being connected.

It is highly, highly likely that when my sales warranty runs out in 3 months I'll be modding in a better infotainment system to remedy this. Bigger screen with Android Auto/Apple CarPlay is top of my list of mods.
I think you can still use the car to initiate phone calls. Mainly that device would be for Bluetooth audio/music
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2021, 12:37 AM   #38
thatmikeyouknow
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I think you can still use the car to initiate phone calls. Mainly that device would be for Bluetooth audio/music
On further inspection, I can't actually use the car to initiate calls. When I tried this at home, I must have used the phone to start the test call I did. I didn't even realise this. My mistake!

So, sod it, it can't hurt to try!

I'll let you know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 01:34 AM   #39
thatmikeyouknow
United Kingdom
Rep

Talking

Quote:
So, I was kinda right, but you were definitely more right. It's the same solution with similar problems, but it is better, so thank you for the recommendation!

My phone is connected to the TaoTronics, which is aux'd into the car. I can use this to skip tracks, adjust the volume, and answer/decline/end calls. It's dead simple. However, I still need to use the phone (physically while stationary and engine off, Google assistant whilst moving) to initiate calls or change my playlists etc. What this device does do is dramatically improve the quality of the calls, which is cool.

I still wish the damn car would work with the phone though! 😂
Definitely gonna mod that shit up ASAP.
Appreciate 0