F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > xHP & wear in Sport+ Manual Mode
proTUNING Freaks

04-27-2021, 10:45 PM   #1
Juice247
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW 440xi Gran Coupe

xHP & wear in Sport+ Manual Mode

I remember reading in the xHP manual that Sport+ manual shifting was detrimental to the transmission, and that BMW has an internal timer on how much time the car spends in that mode. That just so happens to be how I drive my car 99% of the time. Unless I'm in a quiet subdivision at night, I drive in manual mode ALWAYS and Sport + almost always.

I don't drive hard all the time, I just like the crisp shifts, and firm handling. I've found that the shifts in Sport are super slow, like Comfort slow. I'm also sure that this is easier on the trans, but there must be some middle ground here. Manual shifting in comfort is not at all enjoyable. Manual shifting in Sport+ is fantastic. I don't drive in S Auto, because I'm not racing all the time and I don't need to have the revs high when I'm just milling about.

If my 440GC was available with 3 pedals. I'd have bought it that way, but now I'm trying to learn how to live with a slush box. Its the first I've ever bought for myself and the first sports car I've ever driven with an auto.
      04-28-2021, 05:36 AM   #2
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

I don't know where you have read that so you might want to start with that. Why would BMW keep a record of this? For what purpose? Where is the threshold and what happens beyond it?
Sounds like nonsense to me.
Of course the harder you push your car - the more intensive the wear. This is quite clear even without BMW or xHP specifically telling you so But they do on occasions - e.g. for the Lounch Control Mode.

But again - please start with the source and intended application of the info you read. The answer is often there.

For some reason I feel that automatic shifting in Sport is the quickest for me. Manual shifting in either mode feels more sluggish.
      04-28-2021, 09:03 AM   #3
Solid67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive MP Edition

FYI fastest shifts with ZF8 +xHP is manual mode with DSC off.
2019 M240i M Performance Edition / xDrive / ZF8 / BM3 Stg 2+ E30 / xHP Stg 3 / Dorch Stg 2 HPFP / Evolution Racewerks Catless Downpipe / MPPSK Exhaust / FTP Drop in Filter / FTP Intake Pipe / FTP Chargepipe / NGK 94201 Spark Plugs .022 / Michelin PS4S - 225/35/19 + 245/30/19
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 11:21 AM   #4
blacksapphire440i
Novice
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid67 View Post
FYI fastest shifts with ZF8 +xHP is manual mode with DSC off.
So Sport+ in manual mode? Or sport+ then press the DSC to have it be D [TRACTION] or M1 [TRACTION]
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 12:41 PM   #5
Juice247
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksapphire440i View Post
So Sport+ in manual mode? Or sport+ then press the DSC to have it be D [TRACTION] or M1 [TRACTION]
Sport + and DSC Off are two different modes. Pushing the DSC button deactivates Sport+ and changes modes.

https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewto...70384#p1170384
      04-29-2021, 05:26 PM   #6
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I've never heard that, and I drive this car (as well as my 2008 I replaced) in this mode 100% of the time. Only time it leaves manual mode is when my wife drives it.

"M" or "D" is still fully controlled by the transmission electronics. Perhaps xHP's comments is it no longer upshifts (at redline) or downshifts for you? In OEM, I'm 99.9% it would force an upshift if you hit the rev limiter. Now, nope, never. Now, not that causes engine issues since the DME just does a throttle cut to keep the revs in check, but you are hovering at higher revs unnecessarily.

Should also add that shift firmness is driving mode dependent, and not M/D dependent.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 01:46 PM   #7
Juice247
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
I've never heard that, and I drive this car (as well as my 2008 I replaced) in this mode 100% of the time. Only time it leaves manual mode is when my wife drives it.

"M" or "D" is still fully controlled by the transmission electronics. Perhaps xHP's comments is it no longer upshifts (at redline) or downshifts for you? In OEM, I'm 99.9% it would force an upshift if you hit the rev limiter. Now, nope, never. Now, not that causes engine issues since the DME just does a throttle cut to keep the revs in check, but you are hovering at higher revs unnecessarily.

Should also add that shift firmness is driving mode dependent, and not M/D dependent.
I'm in the same boat. I leave the house quiet as a mouse, but put it in Sport+ M, as soon as I'm out of the neighborhood. I don't know why there would be a disclaimer for Sport+ only in manual, other than a driver can shift high and hard every time. I've been trying to find the text as it was written, but it was something I saw when I was setting up my first flash, so I was reading ALL the text.

So far there doesn't seem to be any immediately pressing issues, or we'd have heard about them on the forum.
      05-01-2021, 08:01 AM   #8
les anderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

I have read that there is some sort of "count" for launch control, any truth to this?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 07:23 PM   #9
Devil doc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by les anderson View Post
I have read that there is some sort of "count" for launch control, any truth to this?
Idk but I don’t use it. I generally get better times when I do it on my own.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 06:10 AM   #10
Uni-Rapide
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2019 F30 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
I don't know where you have read that so you might want to start with that. Why would BMW keep a record of this? For what purpose? Where is the threshold and what happens beyond it?
Sounds like nonsense to me.
Actually it’s true.
If you do the used car check in the Carly app you can see it:
Attached Images

05-02-2021, 06:31 AM   #11
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

That's very interesting indeed, but still - This is for statistical information (and diagnostics) only. The factory warranty or maintenance plan is not conditional on any of those.

Anyone know if this information is available in BimmerCode / BimmerLink?

P.s. It looks like it may not be BMW who collect that data directly…
A quotation from another thread here…:

"And funfact with Carly: Their "used-car-Check" is based on Reading Data from different ECUs like KOMBI and FEM and comparing their mileage... So every car with a used FEM from a donor-car is automatically called a "Fraud"-Car with mileage-Manipulation... "