F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Cleaning the Seat Belt Sensor
proTUNING Freaks

05-06-2021, 09:22 AM   #1
T_Filbert
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

Cleaning the Seat Belt Sensor

Morning.

I swear this car is screwing with me. It taunts me.

First, I'll start with the apparent supernatural nature of what's going on...

Randomly while driving down the road, the seat belt chime will start going off and the odometer display switches to the seat belt warning.

First time this happened, I thought "I'll make a quick video to show the chime, then pan to the seat belt, and make fun of how "smart" the car is for warning me" As soon as the phone came up and I got the camera on, the chime went away.

This happened 3 more times in a few minutes. As soon as the phone comes up to video the warning, it would go away.

That's strange...

Next time it happened, I thought "meh, it's going to go away after 4 or 5 chimes. So I did nothing. "not worth the effort" Damn thing chimed 20 times before I said 'OK fine, I'll record a video" immediately, as soon as the phone was up, warning went away.

This has been going on for a few weeks now. few dozen times. Chime comes on, and continues to chime until I get the phone up to video it. Does not matter if it chimes once and I reach for the phone, or if I sit and let it go for 2 minutes before I reach for the phone.

I swear this is the god's honest truth, and that I'm not creative enough to make this up if I tried.

The best I can figure to explain it, is that my movements are somehow moving the seat belt buckle in such a way that it resets the sensor. Despite that I've tried unbuckling and rebuckling, jiggling the buckle while still buckled, pulling on the belt to put the buckle in tension.... none of that works.

but waving the phone in camera mode in front of the dash makes it go away immediately.

Ok...amusing true story aside... I know why this is happening. About a month ago, my wife's coffee spilled when the cup that was too large for the cup holder tipped over, and poured coffee onto my lap, onto the seat, and on the seat belt and seat belt buckle. So, the sensor got wet with sugary creamy coffee.

Has anyone had to clean their seat belt buckle? what did you use? electrical contact cleaner? brake cleaner (same as dry cleaning fluid FYI. According to an old timer who runs a custom upholstry shop), soap and water?

Or, is this a $5 sensor that's easy to replace?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 10:50 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Use this, on both the male and female parts:
https://www.crcindustries.com/produc...-oz-05101.html
Appreciate 0