F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Coding M performance on base brakes, IS IT DANGEROUS ?!!
proTUNING Freaks

01-27-2020, 10:09 PM   #45
insane11
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlackHawk View Post
Hi All, after ADDING SPBR and code the DSC, the disk rotor size information in Esys is not like some other posts has mentioned. The front rotor is not changeable to other value, and there is even no rear rotor item there. Does any one know why? Thank you very much.

Attachment 1527112
Sorry to bring this thread back but I'm having the same problem after following the instructions.. Can anyone help
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 06:29 AM   #46
kobluna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane11 View Post
Sorry to bring this thread back but I'm having the same problem after following the instructions.. Can anyone help
I guess it depends which brakes you had earlier or maybe I-Step version? I had base brakes on my 2014 (MY2015) 320i and I added M Performance brakes and coded SPBR. It changed a lot of FDL parameters in DSC but not disk sizes. I also don't even have rear rotor variable.

I guess the key thing to change is caliper type because SPBR did change that for rear and front. I compared the stock CAFD file with SPBR modified one by saving the CAFD before and after adding SPBR HO_Wort.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 01:03 PM   #47
insane11
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobluna View Post
I guess it depends which brakes you had earlier or maybe I-Step version? I had base brakes on my 2014 (MY2015) 320i and I added M Performance brakes and coded SPBR. It changed a lot of FDL parameters in DSC but not disk sizes. I also don't even have rear rotor variable.

I guess the key thing to change is caliper type because SPBR did change that for rear and front. I compared the stock CAFD file with SPBR modified one by saving the CAFD before and after adding SPBR HO_Wort.
Thank for the reply.. I just found out from this thread as well

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1517682
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 03:46 AM   #48
kobluna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane11 View Post
Thank for the reply.. I just found out from this thread as well

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1517682
Nice find. So it seems that my quess about I-Step version was correct and my software is too new to have modifiable rotor sizes.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 11:34 AM   #49
kilogram
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive

My biggest concerns with this would be the changes in bias and pressure-torque transfer function, neither of which would be immediately obvious by just driving the car but may cause issues with safety in an emergency stop.

1. Brake bias- I can't find info on piston size for the standard brakes, and what I can find for the M sport is questionable (44mm x 2 rear, 40mm x 4 front). That gives a pretty rear-biased setup (63/37) which is pretty normal for an EBFD car. I *thought* I remembered finding that standard rear calipers had a single 38mm piston. If anyone knows for sure, please post it up. If that IS the case, that's much more forward biased (69/31). That means that running M Sport brake code on standard brakes would tell the ECU to pull back rear brake pressure a lot sooner than it should, and you could sacrifice significant stopping distance since the rear brakes would not be doing as much work as they could be. If the rear pistons are the same size for all, then it's not as much an issue.

2. Pressure-torque transfer function- This is the bigger concern for me at least. The brake ECU assumes a certain transfer function for pressure vs. torque. In other words, it assumes that every psi in the system generates xx ft-lbs of brake torque at the wheels. The M Sport brakes will generate more brake torque per psi of brake system pressure because they're acting on a larger rotor (lever arm). Changing this value means the ECU now expects a different brake torque for a given line pressure. If you're in a situation where the brakes are decelerating at a certain rate due to lockup, the ECU will try to bleed pressure to restore traction. It's now using the wrong value for how much pressure to bleed. M Sport brakes will need less pressure bled off for the same reduction in brake torque at the wheel, so your brake ECU will now undershoot its target and the wheel will continue to lock up. Whether this is an issue depends on how aggressive and responsive the PID loop is inside the controller. It could be that it works fine on dry pavement, but locks up on snow and ice.

If you do this, I suggest doing some real-world testing in controlled conditions to evaluate whether it's affecting things negatively. You might not feel any difference in day to day driving, but there's a real chance you could be negatively affecting the system in safety-critical conditions and you damn well better know what those effects are before you drive it on public roads.
Appreciate 1
rybski52.00
      02-22-2020, 07:28 PM   #50
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by david51 View Post
Hello

I coded it myself sport brakes on my BMW F30 using the following procedure:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=929406

=> Connect
=> Expert Mode
=> Coding
=> Read FA
=> Save FA
=> Editiors and viewers
=> FA-editor
=> Go to HO-Wort and right click on "Edit," then type "SPBR" under the HO-Wort file
=> Select the FA, right click "Enable FA" and "Calculate FA" to verify that no errors are found after adding the SPBR.
=> Check the vehicle profile to locate the "" aftermarket retrofit "and check" SPBR_18_ZOLL_SPORTBRAKE "has been added to the file
=> Write (write) FA to your car. No confirmation window will appear after saving the FA to the car
=> Expert Mode
=> Coding
=> Read (read) the FA. You are able to see SPBR be added to the HO-Wort folder on your car.
=> Read SVT, and locate the "DSC" (File Folder SVT / ECU / DSC), then right-click the "DSC" folder and select "Code". Consolidation should start immediately.
=> Allow the coding is over, and repeat step 1 to save a copy of the new FA.
=> Disconnect the car's computer. The M-Performance brake is now activated and enjoy the authentic experience of M Performance brake.

it will also manually changed disk size in the DSC file

Reserecting a very old thread, but these are GREAT instructions but missing really critical pieces, plus I get an error I cannot figure out.

Running esys 3.27.1 with psdzdata 4.21.32 trying to code for SBPR

=> Connect (select 19_11 F20) and connection via VIN
=> Expert Mode
=> Coding
=> Read FA
=> Save FA (save to file name file.xml)
=> Editors and viewers
=> FA-editor Select file.xml in the select window
=> Go to HO-Wort and right click on "Edit," then type "SPBR" under the HO-Wort file There is no edit.. right click on HO-Wort and select New - > HO-Wort. This gives a nested option under HO-Wort, name it SPBR
=> Expert Mode There is no enable FA, I can only find that back under the coding section
=> Coding

=> Select the FA, right click "Enable FA" and "Calculate FA" to verify that no errors are found after adding the SPBR.
I get this error:
No FP could be generated from FA "". [C002]
no FA2FP known for Entwicklungsbaureihe F032 [858]

Cannot continue past the error

=> Check the vehicle profile to locate the "" aftermarket retrofit "and check" SPBR_18_ZOLL_SPORTBRAKE "has been added to the file
=> Write (write) FA to your car. No confirmation window will appear after saving the FA to the car Where is this function? Is this under coding? Maybe I dont see it yet because I cannot activate the FA
=> Expert Mode
=> Coding
=> Read (read) the FA. You are able to see SPBR be added to the HO-Wort folder on your car.
=> Read SVT, and locate the "DSC" (File Folder SVT / ECU / DSC), then right-click the "DSC" folder and select "Code". Consolidation should start immediately.
=> Allow the coding is over, and repeat step 1 to save a copy of the new FA.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread

Last edited by BMW DIY Guy; 02-22-2020 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 10:42 AM   #51
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Wow.. talk about beating my head on a rock, but finally the IT skills started to kick in and I think I have this solved.

What I noticed as I deleted and copied and deleted and copied the PSDZDATA folder like 100 times, is it was like 7k files. I tried another laptop just in case, and when I extracted the data rar, I noticed it was like 12k files.. wait hold on.

Went back to my primary laptop, uninstalled everything, reinstalled 3.27 and the launcher, plus a FRESH download of the data lite file and extracted again (12k or so files whatever, but a lot) and then copied THAT into the correct c:\data location..

Launch.. connect... read.. hit activate FA on the file.. BAM 10ish seconds later its ACTIVE! Calculate works now too, in about 5 seconds.

I haven't coded the car yet, but I think this came down to a bad extract of the data file the first time and missing files. No !#$!#$!#$ clue how that could have happened, but it appears to be working now.

The instructions are still missing a layer of granularity to make the steps easier, but at least I think my problems are solved.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 10:45 AM   #52
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
I dont see the "write" function or a button that seems to show that..

=> Write (write) FA to your car. No confirmation window will appear after saving the FA to the car
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 10:50 AM   #53
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
I dont see the "write" function or a button that seems to show that..

You have to go into VCM Module, Load Modified FA, Calculate FP, and then Write FA to car.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 12:04 PM   #54
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Success! I thought I would write up the instructions again to make it all a little more clear, so painful NOOBS like me to VO coding might have less trouble.

Use the correctly configured and tokened launcher Pro with esys 3.27.

Plug enet cable into your car and laptop, ensure you give enough time to get link lights on your laptop. (Mine takes about 5 seconds)

Top Navigation bar:
=> Connect
Select 19_11 F20 (or appropriate model, F20 is correct for F3X models, NOT _direct options) and connection via VIN option (field should be populated with your VIN if it can see your car. If not, check your cable), click connect.

Lefthand nav bar
=> Expert Mode
=> Coding
=> Read FA button
=> Save FA (save to file name whatever you want, file.xml)
=> Editors and viewers (or click EDIT button after previous step)
=> Expand FA folders (FA, FZAuftrag, Type) to HO-Wort and right click on "Edit," then type "SPBR" under the HO-Wort file There is no edit.. right click on HO-Wort and select New - > HO-Wort. This gives a nested option under HO-Wort, name it SPBR
=> Expert Mode
=> Coding (It will ask if you want to update to the edited file, YES)
=> Select the FA, right click "Enable FA" Will take roughly 10 seconds, Check the vehicle profile to locate the "" aftermarket retrofit "and check" SPBR_18_ZOLL_SPORTBRAKE "has been added to the file
=> Expert Mode
=> VCM
=> Lower section File tab, Vehicle Order, ... to select your modified FA file.
=> Right click on loaded FA, Calculate FA
=> Lower section, Master tab, Write FA FP No confirmation window will appear after saving the FA to the car, though far lower left you can see a small message saying FA written.
=> Expert Mode
=> Coding
=> Read the FA. You are able to see SPBR be added to the HO-Wort folder on your car.
=> Read SVT button on the right, and locate the "DSC" (SVT window, expand ECU, find DSC folder), then right-click the "DSC" folder and select "Code". Coding should start immediately. You make get a message you need to activate the FA, if so, right click and activate, then code DSC.

Fun happens.. car will chime, may get a brake error.. coding will finish, last screen should be success and close.

=> Once the coding is over, and repeat step 1 to save a copy of the new FA. You can double check that SPBR is now under WO-Wort

=> Click disconnect, then uplug from your car.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 2
FastFrog143.50
      08-12-2020, 09:45 PM   #55
BeeEyez
Private
Rep
Drives: 435i Dinan Stage 3

Can this coding also be done using bimmercode?

Quote:
Success! I thought I would write up the instructions again to make it all a little more clear, so painful NOOBS like me to VO coding might have less trouble.

Plug enet cable into your car and laptop, ensure you give enough time to get link lights on your laptop. (Mine takes about 5 seconds)

Top Navigation bar:
=> Connect
Select 19_11 F20 (or appropriate model, F20 is correct for F3X models, NOT _direct options) and connection via VIN option (field should be populated with your VIN if it can see your car. If not, check your cable), click connect.

Lefthand nav bar
=> Expert Mode
=> Coding
=> Read FA button
=> Expand FA folders (FA, FZAuftrag, Type) to HO-Wort and right click on "Edit," then type "SPBR" under the HO-Wort file There is no edit.. right click on HO-Wort and select New - > HO-Wort. This gives a nested option under HO-Wort, name it SPBR
=> Expert Mode
=> Coding (It will ask if you want to update to the edited file, YES)
=> Select the FA, right click "Enable FA" Will take roughly 10 seconds, Check the vehicle profile to locate the "" aftermarket retrofit "and check" SPBR_18_ZOLL_SPORTBRAKE "has been added to the file
=> Expert Mode
=> VCM
=> Lower section, Master tab, Write FA FP No confirmation window will appear after saving the FA to the car, though far lower left you can see a small message saying FA written.
=> Expert Mode
=> Coding
=> Read the FA. You are able to see SPBR be added to the HO-Wort folder on your car.
=> Read SVT button on the right, and locate the "DSC" (SVT window, expand ECU, find DSC folder), then right-click the "DSC" folder and select "Code". Coding should start immediately. You make get a message you need to activate the FA, if so, right click and activate, then code DSC.

Fun happens.. car will chime, may get a brake error.. coding will finish, last screen should be success and close.

=> Once the coding is over, and repeat step 1 to save a copy of the new FA. You can double check that SPBR is now under WO-Wort

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 09:51 PM   #56
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeEyez View Post
Can this coding also be done using bimmercode?

Quote:

Top Navigation bar:
=> Connect

Lefthand nav bar
=> Expert Mode
=> Coding
=> Read FA button
=> Expand FA folders (FA, FZAuftrag, Type) to HO-Wort and right click on "Edit," then type "SPBR" under the HO-Wort file [COLOR="Red"]There is no edit.. right click on HO-Wort and select New - > HO-Wort. This gives a nested option under HO-Wort, name it SPBR[/COLOR]
=> Expert Mode
=> Coding [COLOR="red"](It will ask if you want to update to the edited file, YES)[/COLOR]
=> Select the FA, right click "Enable FA" [COLOR="red"]Will take roughly 10 seconds, Check the vehicle profile to locate the "" aftermarket retrofit "and check" SPBR_18_ZOLL_SPORTBRAKE "has been added to the file[/COLOR]
=> Expert Mode
=> VCM
=> Lower section, Master tab, Write FA FP [COLOR="red"]No confirmation window will appear after saving the FA to the car, though far lower left you can see a small message saying FA written.[/COLOR]
=> Expert Mode
=> Coding
=> Read SVT button on the right, and locate the "DSC" (SVT window, expand ECU, find DSC folder), then right-click the "DSC" folder and select "Code". Coding should start immediately. [COLOR="red"]You make get a message you need to activate the FA, if so, right click and activate, then code DSC.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]Fun happens.. car will chime, may get a brake error.. coding will finish, last screen should be success and close.[/COLOR]

Enjoy!
Use the correctly configured and tokened launcher Pro with esys 3.27
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 10:56 PM   #57
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Bump years later is this possible via bimmercode? What control unit is FA under? Wanting to do a direct front swap from 312 to 340 grey brembo on a base 328i.. Any advice is appreciated
Appreciate 0