F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BMW traffic / construction data sucks ...
Studio RSR

08-02-2018, 02:33 PM   #1
CrimDoc
North Country Cabriolet Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2019 430i XDrive Convertible

Angry BMW traffic / construction data sucks ...

So, I've been driving my new 430i Convertible for 2 months now ... and have used the navigation system in Georgia, Michigan, North and South Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia and Ohio.

Sorry to say, but I am not impressed.

On 3 separate occasions, once in Virginia, and twice in Michigan (once in Metro Detroit and once in Grand Rapids) the system advised me to take a route that included a closed road! And I don't mean an "emergency" closure (i.e. for an unexpected traffic accident, sinkhole, burst water main etc.) ... no, no ... closed by long term construction projects that have been ongoing for many weeks or months. The Virginia incident was particularly annoying because the car advised me to avoid a construction slow down (where the road was congested, but open) by taking a detour on a road that was completely shut down for construction!

I know that no system is perfect, but free phone apps like Waze and Google Maps seem to do a much better job with live traffic than whatever system BMW is relying on.

I think I get the free service for a year with my car ... definitely WON'T be re-upping at the end of the "trial" period.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 03:56 PM   #2
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 320i xdrive

I agree it's not very impressive but do u have the latest maps installed? I kno u said it's a new car but idk if just new to u or what. Try updating maps n we if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 04:25 PM   #3
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

BMW uses TPEG data, which is derived from car telematics, Waze uses crowd sourced location data.

There are a LOT more cars with smartphones sending location data to Google, than there are cars using TPEG data with telematics, so Google has much better traffic information.

The Google traffic data contains only location information. But the TPEG cars are able to send back data from the car, for example, the windshield wipers were turned on, or the ABS system encountered slippage, indicating black ice, or sudden hard braking. This data can be used to inform following cars of future danger. This type of information is particularly important for autonomous driving.

So, right now, crowd based traffic information is much more accurate, but it's future usefulness is limited. Whereas, TPEG data, because of its limited implementation, is less useful, but that is going to change. How long will it take? Probably another 2 years, until IMHO, we reach a level of parity.

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 2
x-m4n148.00
borboa13.50
      08-02-2018, 09:29 PM   #4
Bongoxxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post

So, right now, crowd based traffic information is much more accurate, but it's future usefulness is limited. Whereas, TPEG data, because of its limited implementation, is less useful, but that is going to change. How long will it take? Probably another 2 years, until IMHO, we reach a level of parity.
Seriously you think TPEG will catch up? Really? More people are going to stop using free apps on their phones than paying for terrible services in their cars?

I just wish manufacturers like BMW would wake up and sign a deal with Google, Waze or someone else to get accurate navigation information.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 09:22 AM   #5
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongoxxx View Post
Seriously you think TPEG will catch up? Really? More people are going to stop using free apps on their phones than paying for terrible services in their cars?

I just wish manufacturers like BMW would wake up and sign a deal with Google, Waze or someone else to get accurate navigation information.

Telematics will be in the cars regardless if someone is paying for it or not, it's simply part of a new car. It's no different than Google collecting location information, wherever you go, even if you are not using a navigation app, unless you explicitly deny it, your location data goes to Google, and they use it to create their traffic data. Newer higher end cars, and all new cars in the near future, will do the same, they will send information back to the manufacturer, and that data will be used or sold (think insurance companies would want that data?), for a number of reasons, not just navigation. Why? Because the data has value.

The amount of information that a phone can send back to google, is limited to location, speed, direction. But, a modern car has a huge amount of sensors, and can send back an almost unlimited amount of information.

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 12:45 PM   #6
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

Correct me if I’m wrong, but all car based nav is inferior to google or any phone based app. It’s just a cash cow now for car manufacturers. Well, it’s always been a cash cow but really bad now.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 07:42 PM   #7
Tribalpinoy911
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F34

So how does the current traffic maps work? How real-time is it? And how does it pull its info? I've only gotten one warning and it was construction on road and I wasn't even using the nav system which impressed mde.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 04:59 AM   #8
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribalpinoy911 View Post
So how does the current traffic maps work? How real-time is it? And how does it pull its info? I've only gotten one warning and it was construction on road and I wasn't even using the nav system which impressed mde.
RTTI is not that bad, my issue is having to rely on "bi annual" map updates and the car's software itself are not being improved in terms of optimising fast/short routes... in 2018 the system is flawed.

We all carry 4G connected smartphones, and CarPlay really is the way forward = no more map updates, no more traffic subscriptions! Free apps like Apple maps or Google/Waze have more up to date road intel like speed camera alerts!.

As a minimum yes, keep RTTI running and make sure you run the latest maps available - I use Carplay+apps now that I can

Last edited by x-m4n; 08-08-2018 at 05:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 07:24 AM   #9
Tribalpinoy911
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
Quote:
RTTI is not that bad, my issue is having to rely on "bi annual" map updates and the car's software itself are not being improved in terms of optimising fast/short routes... in 2018 the system is flawed.

We all carry 4G connected smartphones, and CarPlay really is the way forward = no more map updates, no more traffic subscriptions! Free apps like Apple maps or Google/Waze have more up to date road intel like speed camera alerts!.

As a minimum yes, keep RTTI running and make sure you run the latest maps available - I use Carplay+apps now that I can
How does one keep RTTI running?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 07:41 AM   #10
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I meant keep it running as an active subscription - RTTI is free for the first 3 years.

If you have the "receive traffic info" and "traffic flow" settings ticked, you should be able to see "RTTI" there at the bottom of the map screen when navigating plus the roads in green/red.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 07:43 AM   #11
Tribalpinoy911
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
Quote:
I meant keep it running as an active subscription - RTTI is free for the first 3 years.

If you have the "receive traffic info" and "traffic flow" settings ticked, you should be able to see "RTTI" there at the bottom of the map screen when navigating plus the roads in green/red.
Ah gotcha. I'll have to take a look at mine. I have a 2015 so chances are its out of subscription. Any idea of how much it costs?

Is this only active when using the Nav? I believe i got a road hazard warning while driving and I wasnt using the nav
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 07:52 AM   #12
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ah gotcha. I'll have to take a look at mine. I have a 2015 so chances are its out of subscription. Any idea of how much it costs?
Go to your local ConnectedDrive portal (https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.com/c...selection.html) and you will see the status of your RTTI subscription. You will see there that RTTI is £40ish per year. Map updates are £70ish for 24 months worth of updates (they release maybe 2 map updates per year).

Last edited by x-m4n; 08-09-2018 at 03:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 10:27 AM   #13
El Wray
Private
Rep
Drives: AW X6M

Just got notice that it expired a couple months ago on one of my other cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by customer service
The Safety Plan is $199/ per year. Safety Plan includes:
Automatic Collision Notification
Emergency Request(SOS)
Roadside Assistance
Stolen Vehicle Recovery
Customer Relations
Door unlock

Teleservice
MyInfo
Real Time Traffic Information

The Convenience Plan (Optional) is $199/ per year. Convenience Plan includes:
Directions
Traffic
Weather
Concierge
Critical Calling
BMW Online
Message Dictation
The only thing I ever really used it for was traffic. Don't think I'll be re-upping.
Appreciate 0