F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iPhone and USB cable
GetBMWParts

10-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

iPhone and USB cable

So I got my first iPhone yesterday and got an error message saying I can't play music through the cable and be connected via Bluetooth and the same time.

I see how you can enable audio streaming and be connected for voice/phone via Bluetooth, but it appears you have to do all the controlling on the iPhone except for basic track skipping etc.

If that's the case, what would you use the cable for it if you can't listen to music and get phone calls hooked up that way? Obviously an iPod hooked up via USB gives you full functionality and album art. But I thought the whole point was to have one device (iPhone) and do it all.

What am I missing?
      11-01-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR

Ditto.. silly design. My Acura could do it no problem..
      11-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
JoNaH
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

I got my iPhone 5 on iOS 6 running perfect on Bluetooth, connected with the apple USB cord (thunderbolt) or whatever the new connector is called. Everything works perfect, album art, music, phone, BMW apps. BMW connected, even my texts show up and I get a notification on my I drive screen when I receive them.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoNaH View Post
I got my iPhone 5 on iOS 6 running perfect on Bluetooth, connected with the apple USB cord (thunderbolt) or whatever the new connector is called. Everything works perfect, album art, music, phone, BMW apps. BMW connected, even my texts show up and I get a notification on my I drive screen when I receive them.
Well, I'll try it again. I did have to tweak a setting to allow music with the Bluetooth and haven't tried it again with the cable.

Haven't gotten the mail to work yet, but I'm thinking the setting is in Office menu.

It would not only be nice to have all the iPod type menus, but the phone would be charging as well.
      11-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoNaH View Post

+1.

First I thought my car couldn't pair with the '5' but everything went alright, I connected the phone plus cord/cable(FYI the new connector is called 'Lightning' ) and the car found it rightaway...

So bluetooth it is plus the cord connection waiting for the cradle to come hopefully this year(?)

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
+1.

First I thought my car couldn't pair with the '5' but everything went alright, I connected the phone plus cord/cable(FYI the new connector is called 'Lightning' ) and the car found it rightaway...

So bluetooth it is plus the cord connection waiting for the cradle to come hopefully this year(?)

Cheers
Robin
Maybe you can enlighten me then. My iPhone 5 will not play if it is connected by both Bluetooth and the cable. It streams music via BT, but as soon as I plug the USB cable in I get an error message on the screen that says I can't do both.

Not only that but it changes the phone configuration in the car so that I have to go back an re-enable Audio so it will stream again.

No Office or mail either.
      11-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
bmargolis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Bluetooth audio definitely turns off when connected by a cable. It needs to be turned back on manually after that, maybe a "smart button" can be programmed to do that?

There's no need to have bluetooth audio on while it's on cable power. BTW, I get a message that the device (iPhone 5) won't charge, but it does actually charge.

I use the "Y" cable because my iPod Classic will begin playing REALLY FAST, (Alvin and the Chipmonks style) randomly when using the Apple white iPod cable.

2013 335i xDrive – 6-speed, AW, M Sport Line, Cold Weather, Dymanic Handling, Premium, Technology, 403M, Black Grills, Carbon Caps, Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmargolis View Post
Bluetooth audio definitely turns off when connected by a cable. It needs to be turned back on manually after that, maybe a "smart button" can be programmed to do that?

There's no need to have bluetooth audio on while it's on cable power. BTW, I get a message that the device (iPhone 5) won't charge, but it does actually charge.

I use the "Y" cable because my iPod Classic will begin playing REALLY FAST, (Alvin and the Chipmonks style) randomly when using the Apple white iPod cable.
My iPod touch seems okay with the standard cable and I'll just use the iPhone with its cable as well. BT streaming is cool, but not sure of the point as the phone obviously can't charge.

Now to figure what the deal is with the apps.
      01-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #9
Mike Viney
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport Saloon

Do any of you know if it is possible to have an iPod connected via USB for music and an iPhone connected via BT for calls? i.e. the phone cuts the music if a call comes in?

Edit - it's ok, I got the answer elsewhere and it's a yes.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 04:01 AM   #10
F30-Guy
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Do you have any information if these connection types may be country specific? I am from Norway and on my car nothing works at all with my iPhone (which I bought in the US)?
Appreciate 0