F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F32 Base stereo upgrade
proTUNING Freaks

11-20-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
AashC
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 420d Luxury

F32 Base stereo upgrade

I am been trawling through sites trying to figure out what my options are for upgrading the base stereo (Front, Rears & Subs, no Tweeters, No Amp) in my 2013 F32. While it appears the Bimmertech Amp is a well liked solution, I was wondering if there if any other options?

I like the idea of fitting an amp without cutting any wires. Is the Technic PnP an option? Any else I'll need to consider?

Any help on the matter would be great!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AashC View Post
I am been trawling through sites trying to figure out what my options are for upgrading the base stereo (Front, Rears & Subs, no Tweeters, No Amp) in my 2013 F32. While it appears the Bimmertech Amp is a well liked solution, I was wondering if there if any other options?

I like the idea of fitting an amp without cutting any wires. Is the Technic PnP an option? Any else I'll need to consider?

There's no need to cut a single wire with the bimmertech amp.

The choice of speakers is yours, but since Bavsound wont deliver to Europe any longer, I suggest perhaps a set of Focal units combined with the Bimmertech amp and harness.

You'll have to code the HU to HiFi output but otherwise it's plug and play....
      11-20-2017, 05:44 PM   #3
AashC
United Kingdom
Rep

Is there any option other than Bimmertech?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 06:54 PM   #4
kabrichx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbaguk View Post
There's no need to cut a single wire with the bimmertech amp.

The choice of speakers is yours, but since Bavsound wont deliver to Europe any longer, I suggest perhaps a set of Focal units combined with the Bimmertech amp and harness.

You'll have to code the HU to HiFi output but otherwise it's plug and play....
Many USA sources for domestic address that forward overseas.

If they didn’t exist, all the oversea scammers would have much harder time buying iPhones and other items with stolen credit cards and PayPal accounts.

You could always use for a legit purpose.

But yes, some very nice upgrades have been done in EU if you spend sometime reading through the UK threads.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 05:11 AM   #5
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Is there any option other than Bimmertech?
Yup, but not plug and play and you'll need to get a custom harness. For pure simplicity, the Bimmertech option is the best.

Just a word of warning...if you have a CIC headunit (CHAMP2), the output is crap. Like really crap and you won't be able to get the best out of the amp. The only option then is to plug directly into the amp into the line input, but of course then you lose all car sounds but phone bluetooth still works.

You also have the option of the Alpine upgrade which is not quite plug and play as you need to route power through one of the firewall grommets into the fuse area in the engine bay and that can be tricky.

I've used the Alpine kit in my 1 series before and it's not bad, but you only get front speaker upgrades and an amp. The rears and subs don't get upgraded so you end up with a bit of a half-way upgrade (but then you can change them yourself).

There was also another update from another company that sort of faded away. I can't remember their name but you do need a HiFi set-up for their kit so not really an option for you.

Anything else would require a custom set-up so I can't advise but those are the two easiest options.
      11-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #6
AashC
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbaguk View Post
Just a word of warning...if you have a CIC headunit (CHAMP2), the output is crap.
I'm new to BMWs (previously owned Hondas) so how would I tell if mine is a CIC unit? It's a Professsional 8.8" if that helps?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 12:28 AM   #7
soundwave
Enlisted Member
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d 2014

I have tried both Audison 8.9 and Gladen D2 80.6 and Gladen wins hands down. Great sound and much better DSP adjustments. I have Alpine upgrade set speakers + Gladen subs under the seats. I recommend Gladen speakers to all channels. Car is F31.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 01:23 PM   #8
AashC
United Kingdom
Rep

Here's a quick update as I have now decided on my install and am in the process of fitting -
  • Rainbow 241243 Speaker Set (Front 4" Components & 8" Subs)
  • Rears - Rainbow IL-X4 (2 way Coaxial)
  • JL XD700/5v2 Amp
  • TechnicPnP 4/4 Harness, I will wire the subs up with my own wiring

So far I have fitted the fronts and I have to say, they have already made a massive difference to clarity and soundstage.

Can't wait to get the rest of the install in!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 10:33 AM   #9
jamesamansfield
Rep
Drives: 435d F32

AashC, did you fit it and has it made a big improvement.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 03:22 AM   #10
BMW3DK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 / 540 G30

Starting like you do, I would actually say the Bimmertech amp is the wrong place to start, since their solution is based on the HiFi system.

An great easy to install amp would be the Audiotech Fischer Match PP62DSP
You can buy it with a PnP harness and install in literally 15 min. Then you load a datafile and get a great improvement.

As for speakers, I would go with a PnP solution from Gladen, Match, or Focal (they sound different, so it is a personal taste.
The PP62 has a subwoofer amp build in = buy one of the Match boxes and install in the trunk using the Match PnP cable.

have fun!

// Chris

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 03:33 PM   #11
AashC
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesamansfield View Post
AashC, did you fit it and has it made a big improvement.
Yes, a massive difference, well worth doing
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 03:34 PM   #12
AashC
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW3DK View Post

have fun!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 01:32 PM   #13
Youngjnr
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 + BMW F30

What’s the cheapest option to amp up all the speakers is it the technic I’ve got a cic system hu champ 2 but added tweeters in the front but want to upgrade the door speakers and amp them
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 05:52 AM   #14
AashC
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngjnr View Post
What’s the cheapest option to amp up all the speakers is it the technic I’ve got a cic system hu champ 2 but added tweeters in the front but want to upgrade the door speakers and amp them
What speaker setup you currently got? I wouldn't say it's the cheapest way is to use the TechnicPnP harness, but it made the install easier.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 09:06 AM   #15
Youngjnr
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What speaker setup you currently got? I wouldn't say it's the cheapest way is to use the TechnicPnP harness, but it made the install easier.
got base setup at the moment but just want to amp everything up and change my speakers all round
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 09:09 AM   #16
Youngjnr
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

does anyone know how the underwear woofer are powerd from the head unit are they connected together with the front door speakers because I would ideally want them on a separate amp not sure which wires on the harness would be the underseat woofer sorry for hi jacking this thread
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 04:06 AM   #17
BMW3DK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 / 540 G30

It is powered in parallel to the front speakers from the HU.

There are plenty of threads telling how to do.

:-)

Quote:
does anyone know how the underwear woofer are powerd from the head unit are they connected together with the front door speakers because I would ideally want them on a separate amp not sure which wires on the harness would be the underseat woofer sorry for hi jacking this thread
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 02:29 PM   #18
QuadDragonE
Rep
Drives: F32

Just came across this thread and i have a base audio F32 too...looking to add a 4 channel amp with the technic 2/4 harness. However, I cant figure out where the connectors goes in the harness with relation to the iDrive signals and then powering the front speakers + underseat woofes...

from the technic website - "Stereo 2/4 harness is for use with a 4-channel amp to power the front and underseat woofers. Rear speakers are kept powered by the OEM HU/iDrive unit. No need to remove OEM HU/iDrive unit. Not applicable to Stereo systems with 2-wires at the woofer connector (pre 0909 production).

The Stereo 2/4 harness requires a 4ch amp with high level inputs and signal sensing, component speakers than can lower the built-in treble boost of the OEM signal or a DSP unit with signal sensing."

Anyone can share any light on this?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #19
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Try here:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1475424
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 07:26 AM   #20
AashC
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadDragonE View Post
Anyone can share any light on this?

The fronts are subs are powered in the same channel, the rears take up the other two channels
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 05:44 AM   #21
TeaAndBiscuits
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325D F30 M SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW3DK View Post
Starting like you do, I would actually say the Bimmertech amp is the wrong place to start, since their solution is based on the HiFi system.

An great easy to install amp would be the Audiotech Fischer Match PP62DSP
You can buy it with a PnP harness and install in literally 15 min. Then you load a datafile and get a great improvement.

As for speakers, I would go with a PnP solution from Gladen, Match, or Focal (they sound different, so it is a personal taste.
The PP62 has a subwoofer amp build in = buy one of the Match boxes and install in the trunk using the Match PnP cable.

have fun!

// Chris
Bumping an old thread but that Match amp PP62DSP 'install in 15 mins' whereabouts would it go on a car that has base option only (no existing amp) ?
I am tempted to get that amp and a set of decent front components but I want to do minimal wiring if possible? The front speakers install I can do no issue myself, but I am daunted by the amp fitting, so if that Match amp is really easy I would be very tempted!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 06:34 PM   #22
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaAndBiscuits View Post
Bumping an old thread but that Match amp PP62DSP 'install in 15 mins' whereabouts would it go on a car that has base option only (no existing amp) ?
I am tempted to get that amp and a set of decent front components but I want to do minimal wiring if possible? The front speakers install I can do no issue myself, but I am daunted by the amp fitting, so if that Match amp is really easy I would be very tempted!
No.

Two cables must be run from the back of the iDrive unit to the trunk and back. Then cables from trunk to each woofer in a mono configuration (5ch). Plus battery/ground.
Appreciate 0