F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Random Clicking Noise
ARMA SPEED

09-19-2023, 01:51 AM   #1
LikeVinnn
Rep
Drives: f30 335i m sport

Question Random Clicking Noise

Hi guys, first post here.
I got my f30 335i right before the summer, and brought the car to a ppi, mechanically perfect but there's this "click click" noise coming from rear passenger side.
I'm currently running fbo mhd stage 2
but this noise has been around before the fbo which the previous owner installed a akrapovic exhaust.
i suspect it's either the exhaust, transmission, suspension or just a random loose bolt/clamp.
this noise only appears when gas pedal is pressed or released.
also i noticed, not 100% sure, when i try to acclerated or break as smooth as possible, the "click click" noise doesn't show up as often.
this is my first bimmer, I'm not sure if all akrapovic exhaust does this or it's something else.
the "click click" noise it really just 2 clicks, after those 2 clicks there's no other noises.
the noise is super random, but usually appears in scenarios mentioned above
Thank you so much

P.S. I'll try to record a video tomorrow,
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 05:12 AM   #2
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeVinnn View Post
Hi guys, first post here.
I got my f30 335i right before the summer, and brought the car to a ppi, mechanically perfect but there's this "click click" noise coming from rear passenger side.
I'm currently running fbo mhd stage 2
but this noise has been around before the fbo which the previous owner installed a akrapovic exhaust.
i suspect it's either the exhaust, transmission, suspension or just a random loose bolt/clamp.
this noise only appears when gas pedal is pressed or released.
also i noticed, not 100% sure, when i try to acclerated or break as smooth as possible, the "click click" noise doesn't show up as often.
this is my first bimmer, I'm not sure if all akrapovic exhaust does this or it's something else.
the "click click" noise it really just 2 clicks, after those 2 clicks there's no other noises.
the noise is super random, but usually appears in scenarios mentioned above
Thank you so much

P.S. I'll try to record a video tomorrow,
Check for a rock, nail or other debris in the tire.
      09-20-2023, 10:18 PM   #3
LikeVinnn
Rep

Thanks for the reply.. unfortunately i checked all four tires.. no debris whatsoever around and inside the tires.
here’s a video
https://youtube.com/shorts/qBLBtAfwi...pn05Ms1B8SV4hd
i also realized sometimes shifting park to reverse or drive on a ramp rolling will have that noise
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 01:48 PM   #4
LikeVinnn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualDIYer View Post
Check for a rock, nail or other debris in the tire.
thank you for the reply.. ^^ plz checkout the video…
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 02:22 PM   #5
LikeVinnn
Rep

still couldn’t find where’s it’s coming from..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 12:57 PM   #6
oranga
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 6mt

It sounds kind of like the parking brake cables rubbing on the driveshaft. The plastic clip that holds the cables inevitably fails, causing them to drop down and rub on the rotating driveshaft, especially when the rear suspension loads up under acceleration. Which is why you don't hear it when you accelerate slowly like you said.

With just 1-2 clicks, your clip is just starting to fail, but it'll keep getting worse. You can check out this thread for some more resources: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1676073

But basically, you can replace it yourself pretty cheaply with the original part, which will be a small-medium pain in the ass job. You could go super cheap and much easier with some zip ties. Or you can go all out and get a 3rd party fix that is a pretty easy job, will never fail, but costs over $100. The choice is yours.
Appreciate 0