F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Creaking noises from new KW DDC’s
Extreme Powerhouse

11-25-2023, 09:00 PM   #1
Zoomz
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe, 718 Cayman S

Creaking noises from new KW DDC’s

Just had my shop install DDC’s. Ride is very smooth (if anything, could be firmer—I mostly keep it in Sport + and wouldn’t mind if it was tighter still). But, I’m getting a creaking and chattering sound when going over even small bumps, and also when I turn the wheel. Might this be coil bind, or something else? Any suggestions for how to eliminate it?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 08:49 AM   #2
_ObiJon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i xDrive

One of the commonly overlooked things when installing a new suspension that lowers the car is breaking loose the inboard bolts on the control arms and re-torquing them at the new ride height. (Pretty sure they're single use, so you may have to replace them just for this).

They're now in a different range of motion and could have prematurely failed or exasperated already tired bushings/ball joints.

Do these use the OEM top mount? If so, that may be another source of noise. When I replaced my blown struts with Bilsteins, the top mount didn't like being unsettled and started making a horrible clicking noise, even though they were fine for ~80k miles.

I would get a friend to turn the wheel, while your close to the fender to try and isolate where the noise is coming from.

Either way, I just replaced both sets of control arms on my wife's F15 because it was squeeking/creaking going in/out of my driveway and even worse going down the road at slow speeds. I could even get it to do it by rocking the car while parked. It was horrible. She refused to drive it until it was fixed. Lol.

My money is on the control arms.
Appreciate 2
cfm56d7b5886.00
Zoomz15.00
      11-26-2023, 02:32 PM   #3
Zoomz
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe, 718 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ObiJon View Post
My money is on the control arms.
Thanks, will check on that. Upgraded them recently to VAC monoballs, and the noise sounds like coils compressing/rattling, but always good to have variables to look into.
Appreciate 0