F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New owner with questions regarding noises
GetBMWParts

07-20-2014, 09:22 PM   #1
remrk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335xi MSport

New owner with questions regarding noises

I just picked up my F30 335i xDrive a little more than a week ago, and so far it's been pretty nice. Still in the break in period though, so I can't really push it yet. However, I've been hearing some noises that are a little bit bothersome. I think this forum has made my ears tune in to these noises.

One of the noises I hear is a click sound every time I initially step on the throttle, and I hear it again when I let off the throttle. It happens in any mode I'm in and I can only hear it when the windows are down. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. It sounds like a metallic switch.

The other noise I hear is a creaking sound (flexing) coming from the front left of the dash, near the steering column. When I go over small successive bumps I hear it. It's most pronounced when I'm on a smooth road and turn the steering wheel back and forth, and also when accelerating from a stop. I don't hear it when I turn the steering wheel back and forth when stopped, so i don't think it's steering column related.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #2
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS7

Nice choice and congratulations! You picked literally the same car as I did! (Except your wheels are nicer, which I'm jealous of, haha.)

Definitely take it in. Request the shop foreman goes for a ride in the car with you and reproduce the noises for him to hear. He will then verify it and know that it is actually making the noises you state. Then let the BMW mechanics take care of the rest, people bring in these kinds of problems all the time.

I just recently took my car in because the windows were creaking over body flex, the steering column was creaking when turned, the dashboard rattled at 2500 rpm, and a couple other issues. They gave the car back and said they repaired everything without any hassle! Hope this helps, and good luck!
2014 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport [Sold]
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 10:33 PM   #3
falar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-sport/2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsifer View Post
Nice choice and congratulations! You picked literally the same car as I did! (Except your wheels are nicer, which I'm jealous of, haha.)

Definitely take it in. Request the shop foreman goes for a ride in the car with you and reproduce the noises for him to hear. He will then verify it and know that it is actually making the noises you state. Then let the BMW mechanics take care of the rest, people bring in these kinds of problems all the time.

I just recently took my car in because the windows were creaking over body flex, the steering column was creaking when turned, the dashboard rattled at 2500 rpm, and a couple other issues. They gave the car back and said they repaired everything without any hassle! Hope this helps, and good luck!
When you say windows creaking do you mean it sounded like the windows were rattling around?

When I run over a big seam or rough part of the road it sounds like one of the windows by my left ear is rattling. I only have 1200 miles on the car and I swear it didn't do it at first. I think it may have started after I went over some railroad tracks at 45mph and the opposite side of them had a huge unseen drop that made my car bottom out hard or something, I just remember there being a loud bang like the body bounced of the bump stops.

Ever since I've noticed the rattling to the left and behind my head from the b pillar area whenever I hit a rough spot in the road. If you had the same issue and they were able to find and stop it then maybe it is worth taking in.
2014 335i M-Sport Mineral Grey / Sport Auto / Black Dakota / Aluminum Hex / Prem,Tech,DA packages / DHP / M-Sport Brakes / MPPK / MPE / Black Kidney Grilles, SS Pedals, M-Performance CF spoiler / Cameras, heated seats, etc etc

2013 X3 35i...wife's car

Last edited by falar; 07-20-2014 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 11:24 PM   #4
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS7

Quote:
Originally Posted by falar View Post
When you say windows creaking do you mean it sounded like the windows were rattling around?

When I run over a big seam or rough part of the road it sounds like one of the windows by my left ear is rattling. I only have 1200 miles on the car and I swear it didn't do it at first. I think it may have started after I went over some railroad tracks at 45mph and the opposite side of them had a huge unseen drop that made my car bottom out hard or something, I just remember there being a loud bang like the body bounced of the bump stops.

Ever since I've noticed the rattling right to the left and behind my head from the b pillar area whenever I hit a rough spot in the road.
No, it doesn't sound like rattling. It sounds like old seals rubbing making a creaking noise. It stops if I hand clean them all but comes back within a day or two. Just bad rubber seals I believe. In your case, sounds like something is out of place in the B-pillar. Take it in and they should be able to fix it if you show them the specific problem in person!
2014 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport [Sold]
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0