F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Key Fob (1 out of 2) not working
GetBMWParts

03-29-2021, 02:59 AM   #1
adi.engineer
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 (F25)

Key Fob (1 out of 2) not working

I have 2 Key Fobs out of which one is working and the other one isn't. I tried swapping the batteries but still one of them doesn't work. I opened the key fobs and all the electronics seem to be in place with no loose connections. What are my options other than contacting the BMW Dealer?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 11:16 AM   #2
zatelli
Private First Class
Morocco
Rep
Drives: 2013 RWD F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.engineer View Post
I have 2 Key Fobs out of which one is working and the other one isn't. I tried swapping the batteries but still one of them doesn't work. I opened the key fobs and all the electronics seem to be in place with no loose connections. What are my options other than contacting the BMW Dealer?
Have an automotive locksmith check the problematic fob. He'll let you know if there's an ongoing issue with the circuit board. It could be anything as simple as a resistor gone bad. He'll let you if the fob can be repaired, if not you could have him a blank fob to your FEM. Though it's still signficantly cheaper than heading to the dealer, it's still costly
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
adi.engineer
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 (F25)

Thanks a lot for the advice. The issue turned out to be with the Renata (CR 2450N) battery. I replaced it with the Panasonic (CR 2450) and it started working.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 09:17 AM   #4
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

That’s why I keep a battery tester around. I always test (1) the old battery to make sure it is the problem and (2) the new one in order to avoid what just happened to you.
Appreciate 0