F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Will this CarPlay screen work for me?
proTUNING Freaks

03-30-2021, 02:36 PM   #1
monoturbo
Rep
Drives: BMW

Will this CarPlay screen work for me?

I have a 2014 F31 with HU_ENTRY, Combox, and the 6.5" screen. I've verified that the pinkish cable going to the screen is 6 pin. I'd like to have CarPlay, and a bigger screen would also be a bonus. So lately I've seen these units that have the CarPlay electronics embedded into the screen electronics, so it's just one unit to replace. Here's an example:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001868551845.html

However, there are other vendors with strikingly similar product photos, so I assume there's really just one unit that's being sold by several companies. Here's another example from Andream (a bit more expensive):

https://www.android-car-dvd.com/coll...33378247508104

None of these vendors really seem to have much publicly-available documentation, but from what I can gather, I think either of the two units linked above will work for me, with the caveat that I will need to run an aux cable from the harness behind the head unit to the center armrest and connect it to the aux there (because I have the Combox).

Do I have that right? Any other gotchas I should be aware of? I think ordering something from China means that returns will be difficult, so I want to get this right.
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      03-30-2021, 09:44 PM   #2
Salty B.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6MT MSport

Garage List
THat's MUCH more attractive than the assorted MMI boxen like the one I bought. It works, but this thing also replaces that little 6.5" HU_Entry screen? Gimme.
      03-31-2021, 11:11 PM   #3
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoturbo View Post
I have a 2014 F31 with HU_ENTRY, Combox, and the 6.5" screen. I've verified that the pinkish cable going to the screen is 6 pin. I'd like to have CarPlay, and a bigger screen would also be a bonus. So lately I've seen these units that have the CarPlay electronics embedded into the screen electronics, so it's just one unit to replace. Here's an example:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001868551845.html

However, there are other vendors with strikingly similar product photos, so I assume there's really just one unit that's being sold by several companies. Here's another example from Andream (a bit more expensive):

https://www.android-car-dvd.com/coll...33378247508104

None of these vendors really seem to have much publicly-available documentation, but from what I can gather, I think either of the two units linked above will work for me, with the caveat that I will need to run an aux cable from the harness behind the head unit to the center armrest and connect it to the aux there (because I have the Combox).

Do I have that right? Any other gotchas I should be aware of? I think ordering something from China means that returns will be difficult, so I want to get this right.
I have the same configuration as yours. 2014, 6.5", Entry, no navigation.
Just two days ago I ordered the MMI box from Andream.
Last night I saw this product you showed and wanted to kill me... for a small difference I would get a bigger screen and more convenient installation.
Although I feel there are no much comments, reviews and support around this product, which concerns me.
I guess, if eventually this MMI works, I may buy in the future an used NBT display on Ebay... 🤞
I hope I'm not tossing $250.00 in the bin!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 09:36 PM   #4
monoturbo
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yes, I was hoping someone would have some experience with one of these units. There are reviews on the vendor sites, but I'm not sure how much I can trust those. Plus there are so many variants of the BMW systems that it's not always clear which CarPlay units will work with which car.
Appreciate 0