F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Gran Coupe Hatch Opening Question
Extreme Powerhouse

09-11-2019, 02:35 PM   #1
Commissar
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 428ix, 2006 GTO

Gran Coupe Hatch Opening Question

New to the 428i Gran Coupe, great car love most everything on it and have already started the coding with bimmercode. My only complaint right now is the hatch opening. Sometimes it goes all the way up, sometimes it only moves about a foot up, and the kick to open feature is all over the place. Kick to open sometimes works, sometimes it doesn’t and when it opens it typically only opens about 50%. Car is programmed to open all the way. I think once with the kick to open it opened all the way up. Now when it opens about a foot I can press the rear open button on the hatch and it incrementally opens, but only a few inches. Is this typical for the rear hatch or should I take it to the dealership? Car is a 2016 with 34k miles on it, and is a CPO so I have a little over a year of warranty left on.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F22 230i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar View Post
New to the 428i Gran Coupe, great car love most everything on it and have already started the coding with bimmercode. My only complaint right now is the hatch opening. Sometimes it goes all the way up, sometimes it only moves about a foot up, and the kick to open feature is all over the place. Kick to open sometimes works, sometimes it doesn’t and when it opens it typically only opens about 50%. Car is programmed to open all the way. I think once with the kick to open it opened all the way up. Now when it opens about a foot I can press the rear open button on the hatch and it incrementally opens, but only a few inches. Is this typical for the rear hatch or should I take it to the dealership? Car is a 2016 with 34k miles on it, and is a CPO so I have a little over a year of warranty left on.

Thanks
Not typical, take it to the dealer to check. It’s possible one of the struts is not functioning correctly. There was some discussion about this either on this board or the other one., I’d do a search.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 03:06 PM   #3
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar View Post

Thanks
Mine did the same.
Adjustment at the dealer fixed the problem :-)

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 03:23 PM   #4
Commissar
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 428ix, 2006 GTO

Thanks, I will setup an appointment.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 05:17 PM   #5
Brad8899
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 430i Grancoupe

I used to have a 2016 428i and had the same thing happen to me. Sometimes it only open slightly, or not at all. Even worse, it would open to full height and would NOT close. I was also unable to manually shut it so I was forced to drive with it open on the way home from the store. Took it to the dealer and turns out it was the actuator and I think a strut. Repair total was over a grand.
Appreciate 0